“Surprised!!”

Huntsville Hotel & Suites - Huntsville
Ranked #39 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Reviewed January 17, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank robert t

Reviewed September 30, 2012

After reading all the positive reviews on this site, I was expecting more, but I was really disappointed with my stay.

My suite was simply dirty. There was a something sticky on the handle and the keypad of the microwave. One of the kitchen knives had what looked like dried mustard crusted on the blade. One of the coffee cups had mold inside it. There was a dead bug in the cabinet with the cups. I asked the maid for an extra pillow; the pillow she brought had a case on it with a huge stain on it. I asked "is this clean?" and to be fair, she brought me a brand new pillow and a clean case for it.

The hotel's website states that it takes pets, but when I arrived, there was a big sign at the desk that stated no pets are allowed.

The shower temperature would not stay constant; I think the faucet was worn and kept drifting over. (It was old.) No matter where you set the temperature, you were taking a lukewarm (at best) shower.

On top of everything else, my husband actually saw a prostitute plying her trade in the parking lot. To be fair, the manager chased her and her "friend" away.

The reason I gave this a "poor" rating instead of "terrible" is because the staff is very friendly and helpful. The maid was a bit sour, but everyone else was very nice.

All I can say is caveat emptor.

Room Tip: Stay at the Candlewood.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank M M
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Having stayed at a Guest House Suites in Gainesville, Fl I kind of knew what to expect from the Guest House brand and I was not disappointed -- which is both good and bad. On the plus side the suite was solidly clean and comfortable. The arrangement of furniture in the sitting room/bedroom was a bit funky and odd (something mentioned in another review as well). At the Gainesville location I had an actual living room separate from the bedroom so I was a little surprised here. The outside of the buildings is well maintained, but the interior of the rooms is definitely way beyond dated. The "breakfast" was somewhat skimpy, although they do have make it yourself waffles. I was surprised that there was no soap or shampoo in my room the first two days of my stay and I actually had to go ask for a second roll of toilet paper. The bathroom sink chrome needed cleaning more thoroughly. The tub / shower combo is a bit awkward. The one piece molded enclosure has these big shell shaped shelves protruding out and the tub bottom is sloped which might be a challenge for someone with mobility issues. On a positive note though the water pressure is wonderful and there is no shortage of hot water. The rooms are relatively quiet although the a/c unit can be noisy. All in all I would stay here again if I was in Huntsville for more than a couple of days because I like having the kitchen and fridge and couch. If I was just going to be here overnight I might go with a more upscale property.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Flknitchik
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Found the deal on Hotwire and made a one night stay. It was ideal: very large, clean room with a sitting area. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pat c
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Got this property on a Hotwire deal, and was excited to have a suite while traveling with our baby. The room was very spacious and fully equipped with a kitchen, including stove and dishwasher and full-sized fridge. The layout was odd, so we moved furniture around to make it more comfortable. The room was clean, but really needed some updating. The couch cushions had some tears in them, the carpet and comforter were very old, and the kitchen looked like it came from the 70s.

The actual property has won the Huntsville beautification award multiple times, apparently. The landscaping was nice, and the rooms are arranged in cottage-style buildings with only 8 rooms to a building, so everything felt peaceful and quiet. Parking was plentiful, and room access was very easy.

The biggest upside to me was the people. We had great service from everyone we met. When we called with any needs (more towels, etc), they were quick to be at our front door, and when we came for breakfast or checked in/out, the staff was always very courteous and helpful. Breakfast, by the way, was good. Waffle station, fresh fruit, pastries, yogurt, etc.

Overall, for what we paid, it was a great value, and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank lovetotravel617
Reviewed January 2, 2012

My wife and I had to go to Huntsville to deal with a family emergency. Found this place on Priceline for $56 a night. Queen bed, sofa-sleeper, fireplace, kitchen complete with dishes, utensils and cookware. I feared that the accomodations would reflect the price. They were so much better than I expected! The room was perfect, although a bit small when my daughter joined us the last night we were there. The staff was really friendly and helpful as well. Next trip to Huntsville, this is where we'll go.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 2dogsbarking
GHHuntsville, General Manager at Huntsville Hotel & Suites - Huntsville, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience during your recent stay with us. While we are able to pass along some fabulous savings through our Internet partners, our guests will continue to receive spacious, clean accommodations delivered by our friendly and courteous staff. We would like to thank you for allowing Guesthouse Suites of Huntsville to provide your accommodations and we look forward to your return visit in the future. Please feel free to contact me direct to assist with reservations when you are planning your return visit to Huntsville.
Lori Webster

Reviewed October 19, 2011

The good parts are the rooms are very large, they are the size of an apartment, which could be used as a temporary residence. It is also very reasonably priced, we paid about $80 for a night. Bad parts is maintenance in the room and on the grounds need to kept up, carpet was filthy dirty, dirty dishes in the dishwasher, and just cleaning up the grounds has been neglected. I have read a lot of praises for the employees, but I found them to be distant and unconcerned. They barely took the time to come let me in at check-in.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank JRBOhio
GHHuntsville, General Manager at Huntsville Hotel & Suites - Huntsville, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2011

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to The GuestHouse Suites – Huntsville. I have been unable to contact you by way of email, as your comments are of great concern to us and I wanted to have the opportunity to apologize personally that the service your received was anything less than excellent. Thank you again for taking your valuable time to let us know about your concerns. Lori Webster, General Manager