“Decent hotel in convenient location”

Holiday Inn Huntsville - Research Park
Ranked #28 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Roanoke, Indiana
“Decent hotel in convenient location”
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I stayed here recently while on business and had a reasonably good experience. The hotel certainly shows some age (especially metal surfaces in many places and in the rooms), but is generally well maintained.

The room was comfortable, but the mattresses need to be replaced. I chose the bed nearer the bathroom, and the mattress on the nightstand side was heavily worn and sagging. This was improved greatly by just turning the mattress so I had the other side next to the nightstand, but this shouldn't be necessary. It appeared that the same was true of the other bed. The window kept the traffic noise out quite effectively, but this was more than offset by the very loud below-window air conditioning unit (nothing malfunctioning - just LOUD). Unfortunately, just a typical Holiday Inn - a clear step down from my usual haunts (Marriott and Hilton brands).

Front desk service was quick and attentive, so no complaints there. Service in the bar was also friendly and attentive. The free coffee and hot drinks in the lobby was appreciated.

The hotel is in a safe secure area, with a decent mall in the backyard, with plenty of restaurants and shops nearby along the street as well. Also not very far from the much swankier outdoor mall.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
hsvrp, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Huntsville - Research Park, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
BlueSkies500:

Thank you for the comments regarding your recent stay. I will most certainly share your observations with our Maintenance, Lounge and Front Desk Managers. I am sorry that we fell short of some of your expectations and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future. We certainly strive to maintain the best possible environment for our guests and are currently making improvements to our guest rooms as I type this message. If you can possibly message me the room number of your stay (if you recall) I will have our Maintenance Department address you specific concerns - hsvrpsales@aol.com. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
accrosstheland
Reviewed November 9, 2011

2.75 dots above Typical Holiday Inn getting on in years may have been redone in the past but getting close to needing it again. Concierge room nothing special had Business King on 5th floor. Had dinner in the bar first night typical Holiday Inn food only use it if you really don’t want to get out fair service from bartender.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
memphis, tn
Reviewed October 10, 2011

As others have said, this is an older hotel. Seems to be well kept, recently updated, etc. Seems clean enough. Pretty good location next to a mall and close to lots of restaurants and shopping. My main problem with the hotel was management's inability to comply with our advance request for connecting rooms. The other issue I had was with the large cockroach that greeted us in the lobby.

We had advance reservations for this hotel, requesting 2 connecting rooms. When we arrived, they processed us through like there was no issue. So we march up to our rooms only to find out they're across the hall from eachother. We marched back downstairs, only to be told they had given all the connecting rooms to others (probably others that didn't even need or request them). They weren't apologetic. They offerred no assistance. Just blank looks. That's not customer service.

We elected to check out and go to the Homewood Suites down the street. BIG improvement. WAY nicer hotel. WAY nicer area. WAY nicer staff.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Illinois
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Agree with most of the other comments. This hotel is an older hotel, but the staff and upkeep make it a gem.

Rooms are well kept. The elevators are old and slow, but nothing terrible. The bar / restaurant is very good. Breakfast buffet was only $7 or something. Front desk staff was very polite, and the restaurant folks were all very good.

Hotel has a nice indoor and outdoor pool. The workout room is awful, but you can get a free pass to a really nice health club just across the street.

Other than showing its age, this hotel is highly recommended.

Room Tip: 5th floor concierge has free cocktails and drinks at night, and free breakfast in the morning. Thi...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank BMIFlyer
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for a birthday weekend and was very surprised at all the hospitality that we received. The house band in the hotels' bar (Hoppers) was wonderful. We were very surprised with the Sunday brunch. I would compare the made fresh omellets, waffles and buffet to a country clubs. The room was very clean and spacious. We will be returns for another celebrating weekend soon.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank old38654
Auburn, Indiana
Reviewed September 11, 2011

I was fine staying here for one night but I wouldn’t anymore than that. The hotel was dated and it appeared clean but I didn’t really get a warm fuzzy about that. If I hadn’t been tired and looked closer I’m not sure I would have liked what I found, but that seems to be typical of older hotels. The hotel bar was lively with a football game on but the food I ordered was terrible. I did receive a coupon at check in for two free drinks so that was nice. If you don’t mind an older hotel then you will probably be fine but I’ll try someplace different next time.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I stayed at this hotel last night and was very impressed at the overall value of the stay. I stayed in an "executive" room for a bit more and was pleasantly surprised. On the executive floor, I was able to access a free "happy hour" and breakfast. The room was very clean and similar to a 4 star hotel. The hotel offers a free pass to Power House gym across the street. There were also a number of restaurants within a mile or so. The staff was extremely helpful and very professional. I have business in Huntsville, and will stay there again. The hotel is a bit older, but it idid not take away from the overall value. I am adding this comment only for the sake of full disclosure. The bed was above average and had a choice of pillows. Plus, a robe was in the room on my floor.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business