“Great stay in Alabama”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Huntsville-Village of Providence
Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was at this hotel last week with my husband for a conference in Huntsville, AL. We had never been to Alabama and were very impressed with what I saw of it, and very impressed with the Homewood Suites. The hotel looks like it's pretty new, the room was lovely and modern (I'd call it "comfortable modern"), complete with a kitchen, the bed was very cozy, there were two flat screen tv's, and the breakfast area was probably the nicest one I've seen (and I've been a LOT of hotels for business) - complete with granite counter tops, and a lovely dining area, and the food was very good and they had a nice selection. The staff was very courteous, and were very accommodating to any requests I made. The price was excellent too at $128+tax/night (you'd pay at least $180+ for a comparable hotel here in Canada).

FYI, the Village of Providence is a beautiful newly built community in Huntsville with a colonial theme, with hotels, restaurants and several lovely colonial townhomes and detached homes. And if you get onto University Drive, you can find almost any chain restaurant you can think of! Very very nice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed September 29, 2012

I booked this hotel after reading the positive reviews, and I was looking forward to the stay. However, the room was very disappointing. I stayed here in September for 2 days on a business trip. My first scare was when I unrolled the kitchen towels, and out popped two silverfish bugs - still alive! Absolutely disgusting. I also don't think they clean the tubs between each guest. There were some hairs on the bathtub ledge. The tub looked clean other than the hairs - which makes me think that housekeeping doesn't clean the tub at all. If it looks clean - they don't do a thorough scrubbing - hence why there were hairs! Between the bugs and hairs - I will not be returning. This is a shame, because I really do like the hotel staff here - especially the weekend evening clerk - he was very professional, friendly, and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank reviewer0101
Tricia G, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Huntsville-Village of Providence, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

I want to apologize for the unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. The health and safety of our guests is of the utmost importance to us and we are disheartened to hear of your disappointing stay. Our housekeeping team works hard to provide a clean and comfortable environment for all of our guests. Please know that we work closely with a professional pest control company and have brought this sighting to their attention so they may rectify any pest situation. We have reviewed your comments with our staff and have addressed the situation.

We hope you will allow us another opportunity to provide you with the quality experience you deserve should you return to our area.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

The Village of Providence is a "bubble" community like The Woodlands north of Houston or Celebration, Florida (or Stepford, CT). Hotels, condos, a few stores, and very specifically chosen restaurants make it, if you want it to be, a self-contained village - which can either be very convenient, or like something out of a Twilight Zone episode.
Village notwithstanding, the hotel itself is very good. Clean, quiet, very pleasant staff, and generous rooms and amenities. I will unquestionably go back next time I have any call to be in the area. No question if I have to be in Huntsville or the Space Center, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2012

For extended stays you want a place with many more amenities than a regular hotel room can offer. The roominess, comfort, and hospitality of Homewood Suites in Huntsville's Providence community has made our stay a pleasure. It offers much more too.

We initially chose this facility because the surrounding woods and upscale homes made us feel as if we were living in a "real" neighborhood--which it is. But we have stayed because of other amenities,including the hospitality of management and staff.

Daily breakfasts and free light suppers served four nights a week (wine included) are hard to beat! A pleasant gym, a well-equiped business center, and the close proximity of several outstanding restaurants cinches the deal. We recommend this facility highly.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Homewood Suites is one of our favorite places to stay when we are traveling, and this is our third annual visit to Huntsville and to this particular hotel. As always, the staff was very friendly, the facility (including our rooms) was very clean, and the morning breakfast was both plentiful and substantial. However, in the end, the most important aspect of any hotel stay is how good a nights sleep you get, and on this criteria, this Homewood Suites fails, unfortunately. The two issues my wife and I encountered were noisy A/C units and a soft and worn-out mattress.

The HVAC units are in the wall, but are controlled by wall thermostats. There is some problem with how the units and the thermostats interact, because during the night when we were trying to sleep, the A/C would turn on for about 10 seconds and then turn off for a few minutes, and then repeat the cycle of briefly turning on, followed by a short period of being off, all night long. As with most wall A/C units, these were quite noisy. In most hotels with wall A/C units the units are on all night long and although relatively loud, the sound is constant and just becomes "white noise" that doesn't wake you up. At this hotel the frequent on-and-off cycles of the noisy A/C units prevented us from getting a good nights sleep.

The other problem we encountered was the soft mattress. While people can differ on their view of the appropriate firmness of a mattress, the mattress in our room was both soft and lumpy, and clearly needed replacing.

We are also downgrading this particular Homewood Suites based on a change in policy the hotel made subsequent to our last visit that adversly affects the overall aspect of "service." One of the features we like about Homewood Suites is the eCheck-In process that allows you to pick your room 24 hours in advance, using the internet. We did that at this hotel for our two previous visits, but when we got our email alert telling us it was time to do the eCheck-In, that option was not available to us this year. It took calls to both the national Homewood Suites phone number and to the actual hotel to find the reason why not. This particular hotel has decided that eCheck-In should only be available to the two highest levels of members, Platinum and Diamond. As lowly Blue members, we were not permitted to access eCheck-In this year.

We are in Huntsville each year at the same time and never considered staying at a different facility, but as we were leaving the hotel we started tossing around other options for next year. Despite all of the positive aspects of this Homewood Suites, getting a good nights sleep is what it is all about, and we were leaving tired...

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Route66Tracker
Tricia G, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Huntsville-Village of Providence, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Thank you for being a loyal guest and for taking the time to share your feedback on our property. I’m glad to hear that our staff provided friendly service and that the complimentary breakfast was to your liking. I regret to hear that you experienced some noise with your air conditioning unit in your suite. Our maintenance staff works diligently to keep them in excellent condition and we apologize that you didn’t experience that. We know how important a good night’s rest is while traveling and are disappointed we were unable to provide this. We hope that you will consider staying with us again the next time you are in Huntsville.

Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

After 4 weeks It feels like home. Make sure to take a suite instead of a studio

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This neighborhood is adorable (new construction, all very walkable, with some very nice restaurants, and the bonus of more "mainstream" shopping a short drive away). There is abundant and free parking, free Wifi, free breakfast (hot foods like scrambled eggs and make-your-own waffles, plus cereals and pastries) and a small outdoor pool equipped with beach balls. Our room was a one bedroom, two queen bed suite. The room was quiet (corner unit) and beds were comfy. My one complaint is that the kitchen was really out of date. The appliances were white and shabby looking. The microwave smelled of burnt popcorn. When I went to open one of the kitchen cabinets, the knob literally came off in my hand. We were only there for one night, but it's an extended stay hotel, and that would bother me for an extended stay. The kitchen was just not up to the standard that I've seen in similar extended stay hotels, particularly those that are on the new side.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Rockawaygirl
Tricia G, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Huntsville-Village of Providence, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback on your recent stay with us in Huntsville. I am happy to hear you found our room and atmosphere to your liking. We do have plans to update our kitchen areas and hope that you will visit us again in the future!