“Great until I found a cockroach”

Embassy Suites Huntsville by Hilton Hotel & Spa
Ranked #10 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed here this past weekend because I was seeing a concert at the Von Braun Center, which is conveniently connected to this hotel. I enjoy staying at Embassy Suites because the rooms are spacious, clean and in general the hotels are very nice. I do wish the Wifi was free, but whatever.

The price was great: just slightly over $100 AAA rate, with taxes and fees and all of that jazz.

Like I said, this one is literally connected to the Von Braun Center, so if you're seeing a show or going to a game there, this is fantastic, especially for people like myself who flew in and didn't have access to a car.

Check-in was quick and easy, and the front desk staff was very friendly and cordial!

There aren't very many restaurants in the area, but there is a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in the hotel. I didn't eat there, so I'll reserve judgment on that. There's also breakfast, but I didn't partake.

The hotel does have an airport shuttle, but you have to call the hotel from the airport and arrange for it to pick you up. I was impatient so I just hopped in a cab, which was $25 from the airport to the hotel. You also need to arrange with the front desk to have the shuttle take you back to the airport when you leave. I did arrange that with the front desk the night before and it was quite easy. The shuttle was there when I needed it to be, the driver was very friendly and nice, and the drive there was quick and easy.

The room and bathroom were clean and the bed was very comfortable. It was also very quiet. I got a very good night sleep. The shower pressure was also very good.

It was a great stay, until I went to check-out. As I walked through the room one last time to make sure I had all of my things, I walked into the bathroom and found a cockroach walking around on the wall of the shower! Yikes!!!! I'm glad I found it on check-out and not check-in!!!

All in all, it was a good stay, and I thought the value was fantastic, but I was a little creeped out by the roach. Perhaps the hotel should have an exterminator spray.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank EmLovesCW
embassy_suites_hvill, Manager at Embassy Suites Huntsville by Hilton Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the front desk staff was helpful and friendly. I have shared your comments with the front desk staff as well as the General Manager and I can assure you that what you experienced on checkout is not normal but that we have taken extra measures with our maintenance team to insure that it does not happen again. I hope you will return should your travels bring you back this way!

There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites Huntsville by Hilton Hotel & Spa

999 - 1,005 of 1,182 reviews

Reviewed December 19, 2012

We travel a lot and always try to stay in a one bedroom suite which this one. Very nice..kind of modern decor. Do NOT pay the extra for the wireless internet however because it is terrible! When you walked out of our room it overlooked the atrium which was very nice...there is a upscale restaurant which I will review under restaurants... and a morning buffet PLUS a cook to order breakfast where you can get omlets or eggs any way you like them which you generally don't find in the hotels. The price for the hotel was around what I normally pay but I like the extra room so it's worth it. All in all this was a nice hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KJW2011
Reviewed December 15, 2012

$7 more per day for parking and $11 more for wifi. My none smoking room smell like cigaret so bad. Also they hold $50 for 14 days.
Breakfast thumbs down
Happy hour was good cheap wine and beer and peanuts.

Room Tip: Be aware of xtra charges.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
embassy_suites_hvill, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites Huntsville by Hilton Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Thank you for your review of your recent stay, I respect your candor. We strive for personalized experience for each of our guests, actively looking for ways keep costs low and offer enhanced services for comfort and convenience. However, I would like to apologize for the level of service you received as well. I appreciate your review as it provides feedback that I need to re-evaluate guest needs and make the necessary adjustments to our offerings.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

This is definitely my favorite hotel in HSV, having stayed at many. First off, it's nice to be so close to downtown, where there are a bunch of neat local restaurants. Second, you're just off of the major roads of 565 and Memorial Parkway, so getting any direction out of downtown is pretty easy.

The staff here was always fantastically friendly and welcoming, from check-in to check-out and everywhere in between. Everything was very clean and well maintained, and the hotel seemed brand new even though I know it isn't.

My room was large with a very comfortable bed, a nice TV with a decent amount of channels, and spacious enough bathroom. It also had a fridge, sink, and perhaps a microwave in the wet bar area, and a full sized desk in the living room with a sofa and chair. All very excellent.

Breakfast was tasty but seemed to be the same exact stuff every day - pastries, eggs, cereal, overcooked bacon and sausage. There is a made-to-order station for waffles, omelets, etc. The seating area is large and comfortable.

The managers receptions are always a hit at ES hotels, and this one is quite good. Not the best I have had at an ES, as the food choices were the exact every day - chips and salsa, broccoli and carrots, and some cheese. The drinks are poured somewhat stronger than you'd expect for $0. The wine and beer selection is limited but fine.

The biggest issue is parking - for one, they charge for it which is rare in Huntsville. For two, it can get pretty busy in the evenings so you may have to park a bit away from the door, which is fine unless the weather is bad. There is a little underground area to park in, though, but I am not sure if the gate is always up and open.

One last thing that shows why I like this hotel so much - by nature of my line of work, I get 1-2 FedEx envelopes each business trip. Most hotels, even nice ones, just tell me to come down and get them. Only a select few have them waiting in my room when I get back from work that. To my great pleasure, this ES is one of the latter. It's the little things, folks! Love it.

1  Thank Zacharius
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed at the Embassy on December 7th to attend a company Christmas Party at the VBC. It is connected to the VBC via a walkway, so this is excellent if you are attending an event there. The hotel is beautiful with an excellent staff. Our suite was very nice and well decorated with everything that you need for a great stay. We got the "holiday" rate which was a very good price. They also have a free breakfast, which is very good. So if you are ever traveling to Huntsville, please don't hesitate to stay at the Embassy Suites.
Thanks,
Cindy

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Here’s a quick checklist of things that are important to a frequent business traveler. Explanations are follow further below:
1. Quick friendly check-in: 50%.
2. Parking convenience: 0%.
3. Snack / water in room: 0%.
4. Bathroom fan: 0%.
5. Clock time setting: 0%.
6. Happy hour / bar staff: 100%.
7. Breakfast staff: 100%.
8. Gym: I didn’t work out.
Other – The hotel clientele is essentially all business travelers. It’s a fairly large hotel and there are lots of people in the lobby and at happy hour. The lobby and sitting areas are nice. The lobby restaurant is a Ruths Chris Steak House.
Explanations of items above:
1. For Gold and Diamond customers, Hilton promises quick check-in using your credit card on file so that you don’t have to dig out your card. This is a small convenience that I appreciate. At this hotel, the front-desk clerk was friendly, did use my card on file, but demanded that I verify the last 4 numbers so I had to dig out the card even though he didn’t need to scan it. He told me that my Hilton number was on file. For some unknown reason a room had not been pre-assigned.
2. I volunteered to pay for parking (garage under the hotel), and suspect that everyone parking in the huge lot outside didn’t pay. As a reward for paying them, they gave me a permit that I had to bring back down to my car in the garage. Preferred hotels have you use the room key, or give you a special ticket, to open the parking lot exit gate so that you don’t have to run back down to the car.
3. Hilton offers their Gold and Diamond customers some type of snack / water depending on the hotel. It’s a great treat to have this waiting in the room. After realizing that a room had not been pre-assigned, I knew that my snack could not be waiting in the room. I asked, and the clerk said “they” hadn’t put the request into the reservation. He did run in the back and get me some candy bars, but it took quite a while.
4. The bathroom fan didn’t work. When I showered, the bathroom filled with steam which then rolled out into the bedroom once I opened the door. Housekeeping is in the room every day, so surely they’ve noticed the problem. Does the hotel lack an internal system to report maintenance needs and track repairs?
5. Hilton clocks cannot have their time adjusted by the guest. This is good. But if the time is off by more than 10 minutes the hotel scores 0% in this category. Didn’t housekeeping notice? The only solution for the guest is to call maintenance.
6 & 7: I like nice friendly people.

2  Thank HiltonDiamondMan
embassy_suites_hvill, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites Huntsville by Hilton Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Dear Sir,
We sincerely apologize for your experience with our hotel. We hold our hotel up to the highest standards and are sorry that you did not experience the best we have to offer. Our Hilton Honors members are very important to us, and we hope to always make your stay enjoyable. Your review was shown to our employees in order to communicate the importance of keeping our hotel at the highest standards.

I have spoken with the Guest Service Representatives about our check in process and the importance of expediting Diamond and Gold members check ins. I am sorry that your room was not preassigned. As for the credit card information, our GSR's are required to always ask to verify the last four digits of the card number for Diamond and Gold members. This is a Hilton standard, and we enforce it in order to protect our guests and prevent identity theft.

As for our parking, the city owns our parking lot. All guests are charged for parking unless they do not have a car. This is for all cars in our lot, as well as the garage underneath the hotel. The card in your windshield is to prevent your vehicle from being towed. I apologize that the GSR did not explain this to you.

Again my apologies for your inconvenience during your stay. I hope you can give us another chance to show you how great of a hotel we are. Please visit us again, and let us wow you!

Katie Faatz

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Great Huntsville location; helpful staff, nice workout room. Problem with wireless internet during my visit (3 hour down time 4-7 PM) I doubt was common. Evening reception included Yiengling, while most are only light beers..

1  Thank C G