“I WILL BE BACK”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Madison, Alabama
“I WILL BE BACK”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

I have visited this place many times before. Yesterday was my birthday and I was taken there by some friends of mine we had a wonderful time. Service was great, food was great. I had oxtail,chicken stew and curry goat,cabbage,mac & cheese. Then was presented with a surprise mango cheesecake on the house. Chef came out and greeted us. My friend that visited for the first time, said she is going back on Friday with her family. Love, love, love this place.

Cullman, Alabama
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It's okay at best”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Seeing as this was highly rated on Trip Advisor, my friends and I were looking forward to the meal at lunch. We arrived and were greeted by friendly staff and a somewhat average and small but cozy restaurant.

We opted for the buffet to try a variety of their food. Perhaps this was our mistake. The rice and beans were acceptable. The yellow rice was no better or worse than anywhere else. The Jamaican Jerk chicken was good and spicy, and the other chicken dish was okay. However, the chicken is apparently boiled whole; at least this is the only thing I can think of to make the dish so bony. There were bones everywhere. Every bite had tiny and medium bits of bone in it in both chicken dishes. I never got a single bit without a crunch and a spit. The taste was just fine, but the bones were ridiculous. The last straw was biting into a spiked chicken rib larger than a toothpick.

If you like bones in your meal, you'll love this place.

1 Thank JoeZ5595CG
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Count Me Out!”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

If this is "legitimate Caribbean", then count me out! We went for the lunch buffet and were thoroughly underwhelmed. The jerk chicken was full of small bones and seemed to have been stewed rather than grilled. The stewed chicken was also full of bones. Very unappetizing. I also had rice and beans and some sort of cabbage, both of which were very bland. At $11+ with drink and tax, I expected better.

1 Thank Robert G
Huntsville, Alabama
“Legitimate Carribean”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I've been on a health kick lately, so I don't get to dine out as much as I used to. I decided to try lunch here today because it's somewhere I haven't been, but I've heard great thing about. "Great place. Awkward location." That's what I'm used to hearing, so today I decided to test it out.

It's a decent sized joint, but a little muggy inside. That didn't really matter to me as most local joints struggle with their AC in Alabama during the summer. Right away we were greeted and asked if we wanted to try their $8.99 lunch buffet. We declined because, once again, health kick. Instead we were seated and given drinks. After scoping out the menu, we decided to split the Sampler (three meats with rice, beans, slaw, and plantains). Remembering a Yelp review I had read earlier, we went with the jerk chicken, curry goat, and oxtail. Great decision. Plenty enough on the plate to split between two people, or at least two adult women (men, you would probably be able to kill a plate on your own). I don't think I have one negative thing to say about anything on the plate.

The curry goat had the perfect amount of heat - not spicy, just that slow heat curry should have. The jerk chicken was cooked very well, not dry at all, and had a great spicy kick to it you expect. The oxtail was definitely new, but the waitress described it perfectly "it's got the texture of pot roast with a different, but awesome flavor." The rice and beans were almost sticky, but not too much so, and the slaw added a small crunch to it to mix things up. If you try to reach for the salt before trying it at all - first of all, shame on you - don't because none is needed - and none is provided on the table. Rightfully so. I haven't had plantains - better known as platanos at the Cuban restaurants I frequented - since college back in Florida. Theirs had a softer texture than what I was used to, but I still enjoyed them immensely. They did well to satisfy my sweet tooth since I couldn't have any dessert. And I was eyeballing that mango cheesecake real hard.

Great food. I would be sure to return for the lunch buffet at an $8 price, and it's somewhere I would recommend to my vegetarian friends with the size of the vegetarian/vegan friendly menu.

• Visited June 2014
Laurel, Maryland
“Quick and Casual Caribbean”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I thought I was on the service side drive of the shopping center, but discovered it was the access to more stores, one of which was Mango's. The restaurant is small with a very relaxed atmosphere, service was polite, and food arrived quickly. My order of jerk chicken consisted of a leg and a thigh, rice and peas (more of a black bean than a pea to me), a couple of slices of nicely cooked plantain, and a small serving of a cabbage broccoli slaw. It all amounted to a generous amount of food for a very low price. I would offer the warning that the spices in jerk chicken may be too much for some American tastes, though if you like some spice in your food, this was very good.

• Visited June 2014