“Large Portions...Average Quality...Good Service...Sterile Atmosphere”
Review of City Cafe Diner

City Cafe Diner
Ranked #3 of 18 Dessert in Huntsville
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Four of had breakfast. The service was very good...if anything the server tried almost too hard to please us. The coffee was very good. The pancakes were huge, but coarse. The biscuits and gravy were good and the portion was also large. The omelette was very good. The dining room is not cozy at all, rather, large and fairly unpleasant. The senior management ignored us completely.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

My wife and I ate at City Cafe for lunch, and I would be hard pressed to say which was worse - the food or the service. I realize everyone has an off day now and then, but we will not return.

Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Great, friendly, fast service. The atmosphere was upbeat with a good blend of music. The service was great. The menu has a huge variety for any appetite. Serving sizes are huge enough to make 2 meals. City Cafe's menu consists of steak, burgers, seafood, Rubens, Greek potato salad, meatloaf, stuffed green peppers,these are just a few to give you the idea. Average meal price is around $10per person. .. very affordable.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Went while visiting with a friend (resident) who loves this place. The menu variety is quite extensive and everybody should be able to find something to suit their taste. I tried the gyro and it was okay -- I've had better. The spanakopita was overcooked and somewhat greasy. My wife tried their greek salad and was stymied by the dressing on the side -- not quite sure about the color (more like French dressing) and sweetness. She got two desserts -- rice pudding and baklava. The pudding was not warm (as she is accustomed to it being) and also had no (or very little) cinnamon on it. She saved the baklava for later and said it was among the best she has ever had. Our friend got the fried catfish and had lots left for another meal. She tried the Key lime pie and said it was good but wished they had not covered it with the meringue or whipped cream (which she scraped off). I tried the cheesecake based on the Trip Advisor reviews and it was a bad choice. It was nothing remarkable and almost like KFC mini-desserts. I did not finish it since I was so disappointed.

Our waiter, Steven, was the highlight since he was so attentive -- even when he was moved to another area he kept checking back.

I'll go back -- but probably try something different for both entrée and dessert.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

We stopped a week ago and had an excellent meal with great portions ... the NY/NJ Diner experience as real as you'd ever want it! Expect it, get over it, go with the flow, that's what a diner is supposed to be! Go with the flow, talk to the server, enjoy being with people, sit at the counter & meet your neighboring diners.

Great food, extensive menu (what you expect of a diner),delicious baked goods, excellent comfort food & Greek food. The server was friendly, prompt and knowledgeable -- gave good advice. The owner/manager stopped by to check on how we were doing, we didn't have desert but but as we were leaving he have us a slice of cheesecake to go.

The cheesecake is the best we have ever had! My wife's family is from New Jersey, we lived there for many years We were near a couple of diners that people traveled miles to, we have eaten at the best diners/delis in New Jersey & New York City, many of them have been featured on TV/magazines/newspapers. This cheesecake is the best that we have ever had! Just the right mix of dense/creamy/rich/moist.

For our anniversary we stopped to get half a cheesecake to go. We were given congratulations & a whole cheesecake.