“HUGE menu”

Ranked #2 of 18 Dessert in Huntsville
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed May 8, 2013

One of the first places I went to upon arriving in Huntsville was The City Cafe. The place is open 24 hours and every time I have been there it has be clean, well kept and busy. The menu is typical for this kind of operation except it is huge. Big even for this kind of diner. The portions are very large and the food is tasty....everybody in your group should be able to find something to satify

There are newer reviews for City Cafe Diner

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I selected this place for a small group (6) colleagues for a work luncheon last October (2012). My trepidation was the gigantic menu, b/c seriously, who can successfully create 300+ dishes?! However, it is new, and convenient to work, and the prices could accommodate different budgets. Of note immediately were, a. the NOISE level (super loud, as in can't hear the person next to you loud) and b. how packed the place was with big-boned cubicle jockey types scarfing down massive plates of food.

First our group was inappropriately divided up between 2 adjacent 4-top tables (hello, we are a group, that means we want to sit together), then moved to a larger table. Our bubbly waitress launched into her explanation of the menu. (not necessary, we get it, it's a big menu -- what are the specials, if any??). I stuck with breakfast, which was OK, except for having to ask for my side of turkey sausage 3 times, even after discussing it with the manager on duty. When it arrived, right at check time, the turkey sausage was just like Jimmy Dean's frozen and it was overcooked. My breakfast dish selection was the "hobo banquet," a skillet full of hash brown potatoes topped with melted cheese and two eggs any style. It was NOT served in a skillet, but on a plate, I didn't taste any cheese and the potatoes were largely diced spuds, not your typical hash browns-- all WOEFULLY under seasoned. The eggs were delightful, though! They did the eggs right!

Other oddities: a colleague ordered her omelet withOUT mushrooms and instead got extra mushrooms; the waitress brought an "extra plate of food the kitchen had made, in case anyone wanted It;" our drink glasses were often empty; and the only compensation/acknowledgement for the mistake in the overly mushroomed dish was that it was ignored (by all, including the manager) until it was nicely removed from her bill. Soooo, for over an hour, she is staring at a plate of her least-favorite food: shrooms!

A super-low-maintenance colleague ordered the spanakopita and ate nearly all of his, and his wife had some type of stuffed bell pepper dish. She is NOT one to complain, but I noticed less than half of her plate was touched and another tried the Chicken Cordon Bleu, which he described as very bland.

To their credit, City Café Diners' desserts are apparently wonderful and I was surprised at how gigantic each dessert item is! HUGE! The dessert prices gave us all sticker shock as the honoree of the luncheon loves desserts and picked 3 cookies and a slice of cake "to go." The price? 23.00!!!!

Getting back to the meal: the waitress was apologetic, the manager on duty was, too, and they both mentioned that they've" only been open 6 weeks and are 'slammed' and to please try us again when things settle down" on our way out. I won't be back. The service is slow, but not heartless, the food is woefully forgettable and the crowd is noisy and cumbersome. I wish them luck, but, they're not even up to speed with their "partial" menu, now, so, unfortunately, I don't anticipate the dining experience here will improve. Hopefully, for them, they will prove me wrong! Good luck!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Several of us found this restaurant by chance for breakfast. The omelets, pancakes, potatoes, and sausages were great! All seemed fresh made. Because of the good breakfast, we took our entire group of eleven college students here for dinner that night. Had a wonderful time. The food was great, and we tried a wide range of items, The portions were huge! By the time we had eaten appetizers, soup, and salad, most of us were full before getting to the main course. Nearly everyone needed a "to go" box. Our red-headed waitress with a delightful Russian accent did a fantastic job, and the manager came by several times to see how we were doing. Too bad this restaurant is 750 miles from our home in Oklahoma. If it were closer, we would go back there often.

1  Thank Ric B
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I agree with a couple of other reviews....you can't do everything great. Pare the menu down and focus on upping the quality. The service is good and friendly. I got an gyro that had plenty of meat but needed more tzatziki sauce. We didn't try any deserts but there are many many to choose from. If we go back I'll probably just go with coffee and a desert. This was my wife's second visit and both her experiences were the same; just average.

Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I have ate here several times. I do enjoy most of the food. Wings are good, Bugers are good, Cold cuts & Ruebins are good, most of their pies, cakes and desserts are great also. I will say I have had way better Gyros & omlettes other places. Sometimes the skimp on the portions sometimes the give you more then enough. Jus depends on when you go and who's cooking I guess? Location of the resturaunt detoured me at first but once I tried it I liked the atmosphere. It's usually a nicer crowd in there between the hours of 8am-8pm never ate in there before or after that? Although they are open 24/7! Overall I would recommend trying the place atleast once to anyone!!!