“Valentine's Date after lunch”

Huntsville Museum of Art
Ranked #17 of 79 things to do in Huntsville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: From Norman Rockwell to Hudson River School Landscapes and everything in between, the Huntsville Museum of Art is a must-see on your next visit to Huntsville! The Huntsville Museum of Art sits in Big Spring Park, the epicenter of the dynamic and evolving city center that is Downtown Huntsville, Alabama and works as a magnet for cultural activities. Stop by today and see the Museum's permanent collection of art, along with a wide variety of well-known traveling exhibitions. The Museum also has a large interactive children's gallery! Visit the hsvmuseum.org for all of the current and upcoming exhibitions. Founded in 1970 by city ordinance of the Museum Board of the City of Huntsville, the Museum serves Huntsville and Madison County's combined population of 420,000 residents. The mission statement of the Museum is to bring people and art together through acquiring, preserving, exhibiting and interpreting the highest quality works of art.
Reviewed February 14, 2014

A short walk from where we ate lunch, we popped into the museum for an hour or so. At $10 per adult I found it a bit pricey for such a small collection but we were discounted for being military and we enjoyed some items unique to this museum so ultimately we left satisfied. I forget the names of the artists but there are plenty of paintings, sketches and photographs for anyone for find something they enjoy. There was a large traveling collection of hybrid photo paintings that I didn't care for but are apparently popular. Speaking of popular, this museum doesn't appear to be, there was only one other couple there besides us; the staff outnumbered the patrons. Anyway, there is an area with a little art history that I enjoyed and an area with hands on activities for children where I stopped to rest my back on one of the three beanbags available. I'm glad we didn't bring our kids though, they would not have heeded the "do not touch" signs and we'd have likely left with an enormous bill when we toured the glass artwork area. The glass stuff was impressive but not my favorite. I loved the silver art. I think it was predominantly sculptures of animals but I was so thoroughly impressed by the details that I'm now a fan and plan to do a little on-line research. I'm an uneducated oaf and would prefer my walls adorned with sketches of landmarks from street artists than oil paintings from a "master" but I still found myself entertained and recommend spending a rainy Saturday at the Huntsville Museum of Art. If it's not raining, hit the lovely park right out back when you are done.

All reviews
"viewing"
"video"
"treasure"

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Very nice for the size, very reasonably priced, free parking and a lovely cafe downstairs. Too heavy on glass art and they get "side B" touring exhibits, but a great place to take visitors or spend an afternoon.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

I travel to Huntsville often. I always check the current exhibit(s). This museum is well located downtown. The permanent collection is very small, but there is often a traveling exhibit that is worthwhile for being interesting and unusual. Parking is free. Entrance fee is very reasonable, especially for students and seniors.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

A collection of 128 photo's taken during "The Big One".
Many very famous , others I had not seen before. All tell a spectacular story of WW2 as only a B & W photo of that era can do so well.
This was a traveling exhibit and it has moved on, but the museum always has something great to show you.
I recommend the annual membership if you live in the area.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This is a beautiful museum for such a small city! Great children’s exploration room and art history exhibit (nice for adults too). Don’t miss the permanent exhibit of Buccellati silver animals. Unfortunately, they have not had any blockbuster type traveling exhibits in several years, but they have had many excellent smaller traveling exhibits (loved the Psychedelic Mania glass exhibit!). The permanent collection also includes the recently acquired Sellars Collection of Art by American Women. The recent expansion of the museum has added a lot of additional gallery space.