“Great Garden for Kids”

Huntsville Botanical Garden
Ranked #2 of 68 things to do in Huntsville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Huntsville Botanical Garden is open year-round and boasts a picture perfect aquatic garden, a spectacular wildflower and nature trail and numerous specialty gardens and plant collections. The Children’s Garden and Nature Center contain the nation’s largest seasonal butterfly house and eight specialized gardens aimed toward the younger set. Children and adults alike will enjoy a stroll through the dinosaur garden, the space garden, storybook garden and more. Family festivals include Beaks and Barks, Huntsville Blooms, the Scarecrow Trail, and the nationally recognized Galaxy of Lights, and be sure not to miss our annual summer exhibits, designed to appeal to children and families. The Garden also has a gift shop, indoor and outdoor facility rental options, and education programs for all ages. The Garden is a privately run 501c3 non-profit, which receives a majority of its support from garden members, supporters, and corporate donors.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Tennessee
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 146 helpful votes
“Great Garden for Kids”
Reviewed May 27, 2009

I went to Huntsville specifically to see the butterfly exhibit at the Huntsville Botanical Garden. Photography is a hobby of mine, and it was recomended by another photographer as being a large and impressive exhibit. In fact, according to the local brochure it's the nation's largest seasonal butterfly exhibit. So I was rather disappointed that though the venue was large and attractive, they only seemed to have three species of butterflies when I went, and the most common ones at that (Monarch, Zebra Longwing, and Julia). As far as butterfly exhibits go, I think the one at the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga is much better.
But while I was disappointed in the butterflies, I thought the Children's Garden was delightful, full of imaginative touches in small themed gardens ranging from dinosaurs with misting rocks, to space with a pod to walk through, to a small maze by my favorite--the storybook garden. At the center is a giant board game laid out with colorful path stones where you're the pawn. My four-year-old nephew would love it!
They had a seasonal exhibit of giant insects throughout the grounds, and it does require a bit of walking to see everything. The water garden was particularly impressive and worth the walk. I had a wonderful, fresh salad at the cafe at the entrance, and they also have a gift shop.

2 Thank ChrissyHny

Virginia
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“Lovely In September”
Reviewed September 22, 2008

We were quite surprised at the diversity of garden areas that this place had. We visited early September and they had their annual Scarecrow Trail exhibit which meant that there were awesome scarecrows all along every trail in the place. I didn't know they could make so many different kinds of scarecrows, but somebody later told me there are scarecrow making classes available.

We spent many hours winding throughout the gardens and woodland trails. It was a lovely cool day and it wasn't crowded even though it was Labor Day. The Butterfly House was very special with beautiful flowers, many butterfly species and turtles in a beautiful pond. They even had butterfly chairs to sit in. It's a real treat and well worth the time and admission.

View more photos in my online photo gallery.

Gardens and Butterfly House:

Scarecrow Trail Photos:

2 Thank TheNatureInUsdotcom
Chicago, IL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Botanic Garden”
Reviewed April 28, 2007

Last time I was in Huntsville, my husband and I came here with his family. They were in the process of finishing a new butterfly exhibit structure to replace the smaller one currently in use. Regardless, seeing the butterflies even in the smaller venue was a treat.

The gardens are relaxing - perfect for a stroll. They also have a beautiful koi pond further in the park.

Near the entrance, there is an electric train that seemed to fascinate the kids in attendance.

Although we didn't stay for lunch, there is a small cafe with outdoor seating.

For people with mobility limitations, I believe a golf cart can be arranged for a docent-guided tour.

I can't wait to go back and recommend visiting as a quiet escape. (Well, except for the school kids that were running around, but they were having fun discovering nature!)

2 Thank ABLee