“Galaxy of Lights”

Huntsville Botanical Garden
Ranked #2 of 68 things to do in Huntsville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Huntsville Botanical Garden is open year-round and boasts a picture perfect aquatic garden, a spectacular wildflower and nature trail and numerous specialty gardens and plant collections. The Children’s Garden and Nature Center contain the nation’s largest seasonal butterfly house and eight specialized gardens aimed toward the younger set. Children and adults alike will enjoy a stroll through the dinosaur garden, the space garden, storybook garden and more. Family festivals include Beaks and Barks, Huntsville Blooms, the Scarecrow Trail, and the nationally recognized Galaxy of Lights, and be sure not to miss our annual summer exhibits, designed to appeal to children and families. The Garden also has a gift shop, indoor and outdoor facility rental options, and education programs for all ages. The Garden is a privately run 501c3 non-profit, which receives a majority of its support from garden members, supporters, and corporate donors.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Soddy Daisy, Tennessee
171 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 225 helpful votes
“Galaxy of Lights”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

My mother and I took my 5 year old twin boys to the Galaxy of Lights drive through. We have been the last 3 years in a row and it is something of a tradition for us now. We normally go on a weekday when it is not crowded. This was the first year we went on a weekend. The difference was staggering! I highly suggest going on a weeknight! Normally when we go there is no one in line near us and this time we had back to back cars the whole time! They also had us queueing in our car through this huge parking lot near the Space Center that was not lit up and just had saw horses and wires keeping you in line and my mother could not see them well and almost ran into them multiple times!

They really need to do something about that. Lights to make them more visible please!! I will email them about it. Otherwise the lights are beautiful and we love the displays. I think the drive through should be free for members, but they only get a $5 discount. We actually let our membership expire this year. If drive through was free we probably would have renewed.

I do like that you can get out at the Space Center and see Santa in the space ship sled and get your picture with him. There was no line for this even on a busy night! I also liked that they had peanut free chocolate chip cookies for sale and popcorn! Make sure to stop and check out that little area. It is neat for the kids with live reindeers and Santa and food.

1 Thank aprilsumner

Huntsville, Alabama, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Terrible.”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We had a terrible experience at the Galaxy of lights. First, it took about an hour to get in. Once we got in, it took another half of an hour before we actually got to see clusters of lights. (There were a few lights at the entrance but after about 10 minutes of staring a each they get a bit boring.) Inside the actual event, there were barely any ;lights and it took so long to get out, each car was going about 2 miles an hour. I do NOT recommend going!!!!!!! A TOTAL RIP-OFF!

2 Thank Carla Z
Madison, Alabama
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“It Stinks! Save Your Money!!!”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

At the Galaxy of Lights and not impressed. We have waited an hour to get in. After getting in we have been driving through a crazy maze and have seen next to no lights. Very Poor traffic flow. Still waiting to see some lights. We are glad that we did not pay full price for the tickets and so far not worth the money we paid.

2 Thank angus2061
Danville
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“RIP OFFF!!!!”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I was relly disapointed in the Galaxy of Lights!!! It is in no way worth the $20 it cost to drive thru, $5 would have been more than enough. Expecting Christmas Lights, and yes there were some, but butterflies and lady bugs and business advertsemnts???? Oh well lesson learned if you want to see Christmas lights stick to riding around and looking the houses decorated!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Thank Tresia M
Central Texas
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Nice field trip with Granddaughter's school”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

This was a school field trip with my granddaughter. The guides thru the garden were extremely knowledgeable. They shared on the level of the 2nd graders and yet were happy to answer a few questions from me. The garden was a nice size and a surprise to me located in downtown Huntsville.

Visited October 2012