“Very nice hotel, but the people made the difference”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Huntsville-South
Ranked #12 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Cary, North Carolina
“Very nice hotel, but the people made the difference”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Just stayed here for 3 nights and I was very happy. Everyone I talked to was REALLY friendly, especially the 3 women working in the restaurant at breakfast each day and Kristin (?) at the front desk. I was a bit nervous because of some of the other reviews saying the remodeling were not very good, but I have to disagree. I haven't been to Huntsville for years, but if I could stay at this hotel, I'd be happy to go back. Actually I'd WANT to go back if I could stay here. I've stayed at Doubletree's in Rosemont IL, Charlottesville VA, and Richardson TX recently and this is definitely the nicest.

Hotel: The entrance is nice and modern and the halls are bright and carpet looks new. The exterior is nothing special, but definitely not bad. I used 2 doors in the back and 1 on the side near the front for 3 days and had no problems at all.

Room: My room was big, comfortable, and modern. I even think I smelled fresh paint faintly (not in a bad way). I had a "suite" with a "living room" and bed room. The bed was very comfortable with nicer sheets than my home bed. There was a large LCD TV in the bedroom and living area. The living area had a nice desk, small fridge, and microwave. The bathroom had a new stone vanity, big soft towels, and a nice shower (no tub). It definitely did not have any signs of wear or shoddy construction.

Fitness room: not so huge, but they have 2 treadmills, 2 elliptical machines, weights, and an exercise bike. They all seem very new and are about the best ones I've seen. The integrated TVs are bigger than any I've seen and there is a huge variety of programs. These machines are better than the ones at my local Lifetime Fitness.

Breakfast: Restaurant was nice (far better than what I'm used to at Hampton Inns or Hilton Garden Inns), but the women working there made the difference. They were VERY nice and helpful. One day they were out of bananas and I asked for one. They apologized profusely. The next day they were out again and I asked again, but a few minutes later, I was brought one. There was a big variety of hot, freshly made items and better quality baked goods (not amazing, but good). My only complaint would be that I wish there was more fresh fruit. They were low on cantaloupe each day.

Service: EVERYONE I spoke to for any reason was cheerful and helpful. I'd say its as good as much higher end (and more expensive) hotels I've stayed at. Any request I had was not just accommodated, but done so in a way that

Location: Right off 231, but not noisy. A few restaurants across the street and other shopping/eateries a short drive. I was there for work and it was great for that, but not a really exciting area. I didn't see the Space and Rocket Center until I was driving back to the airport. Its a bit away, but I liked this hotel enough that if I was in town to see the Space Center, I'd still stay here. Its an easy drive. Maybe 10-15 min.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank HiHoHiHoRDU
Jesse M, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Huntsville-South, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to complete such a detailed review. I can not express the smile that was on my face while reading your comments. The most rewarding benefit of my job is to know how we create memorable experiences for our guest. I will certainly reach out to those great grand performers who impacted your stay with us. They will be so delighted to read and hear your kind words. Thank you again and we look forward to having you with us again real soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mount Dora
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I recently had the opportunity to stay at the Doubletree Huntsville-South. I was first amazed by the lobby decor and that was only the beginning! Being a former wedding planner I was blown away by the outdoor court yard - I started envisioning all the different ways one could have either a wedding ceremony or cocktail reception in this area. The water & fire features, well what can i say just an amazing touch! The guest rooms we perfectly appointed and the colors were modern and chic. The staff was beyond friendly and welcoming. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is visiting the Huntsville area. Who would have known this gem existed in Huntsville, Alabama!

Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My family (8 rooms) are staying at this place for my father's funeral. Today we were gone from 9:00 AM until 3:30 PM and when we returned our room had not been serviced. It took two calls to the front desk to get someone to come clean the room (40 minutes later). Two of the rooms we had checked out before the funeral and their rooms were serviced before we returned. The so called manager, Jesse Martinez, stated that it was not their fault, no apology, no nothing! Add this, on top of burying my dad, was the last straw. For any other family function we'll be staying at the Westin, all 16 of us!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank LaLa1234567890
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My mother and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights due to a death in the family. When I arrived, my room was not as I expected and I was immediately moved the room I reserved. Because of the inconvience, I was provided with 2 breakfast certificates. The rooms were beautiful, spacious and the beds were....perfect. The staff was wonderful and very attentive during this stressful time. Terrin, Donna and another gentleman (I can't remember his name but I remember he said he was from Arab, AL) were wonderful on the overnight shift to see that all my needs were met whether it be a wake up call or just a little conversation. Lindsey made an recommended and excellent place for me to get my hair styled within walking distance! The rooms were perfect! Like a home away from home. The bed was amazing! Everytime I laid down, even to just watch tv, I fell asleep. I will definitely be returning to this hotel when I return to Huntsvillle!!!

Room Tip: I had a room with a king bed and tub but it is only available in an handicapped accessable room. I a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Jesse M, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Huntsville-South, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you for your kind review! I have read the review to the entire staff and they were elated! We are so happy that we could make your stay comfortable and memorable under such a difficult situation. We look forward to having you back real soon.
Orlando
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I had the opportunity to be a guest of the hotel for a long period of time back in October. During my stay I interacted with the staff, ate in the restaurant and enjoyed the amenties of the hotel. I can say without a doubt that all were excellent! This hotel has been recently renovated bringing a pure sense and feel of upscale in Huntsville. Bravo to the staff and management!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Jesse M, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Huntsville-South, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you for wonderful review! Our goal is to satisfy each guest at every opportunity and it sounds like we hit a home run! The staff will be excited to read your comments!
Again, thank you and we look forward to serving you again real soon.
Altoona, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed last week at the ‘new’ Double Tree suites. When I arrived I was very worried by the outside look of the hotel. I had stayed at this hotel one time back when it was the Radisson Inn and it was awful but I thought that since they had ‘remodeled’ I’d give it another try. I was very impressed at first glance at the inside however until I got to my room. At check in I was told that the back doors of the building ‘have problems’ and don’t always work and I was advised not to use them. So I used the front door to access my room only to find it was on the other side of the hotel where the doors have problems and they only have one elevator. After entering my room and really looking around it was very easy to see that this is was a cheap cover up attempt to hide the old Radisson hotel. The tub had a chip in it, the bathroom tub was dirty behind the shower curtain (behind the door) it looked as though it had never even been cleaned after the construction. The sofa in the room is so hard it was unreal I couldn’t even sit on it. The alarm clock didn’t work and when I asked them for a new one I was told to turn on the light switch and it would work?? While the hotel lobby and court yard look nice the rooms look just patched over. I did inquire if the same owner stilled owned the place and I was told he still does.

Take a word of advice when staying in the area, stay at the Hilton Garden Inn located right behind them it’s nice and the people are great.

Room Tip: Pick one near the front of the hotel as the back doors of the hotel don't work. Also pick one ne...
1 Thank Jessie N
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the look and feel of our guestrooms. We have made many great changes to the hotel and with your observations can focus on the minor areas of improvement. We appreciate your feedback, and we hope you’ll visit with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements.

Kindest Regards,

Jesse Martinez, General Manager
Newark
Reviewed December 18, 2012

The Doubletree Huntsville South is a very nice hotel. I understand from other guests that it was recently renovated. They did an excellent job updating. The rooms are big as they are suites and nicely appointed. The hotel staff was outstanding during my stay and extremely friendly. I only had breakfast there but the food that was ordered at the bar looked great and based on the comments it was good. Lucius the bartender as well as the server at breakfast (not sure of her name) were extremely friendly and was obvious customer service was thier priorty.

Great place to stay while on business as it is minutes away from the Redstone and MSFC gate but would also be a good getway spot.

Room Tip: All the rooms are suites so fairly roomy.
1 Thank mariniac