“Excellent Workday Lunch”

Cuisines: American
Huntsville, Alabama
“Excellent Workday Lunch”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Come here to Clementine's near Five Points for the food, not for the building. Their slogan is "Deep South Gourmet To-Go." We had previously eaten at the at Botanical Garden, at the Garden Cafe which is a Clementine's tea room. Now we wanted to see the original.

My impression is that they were a takeout and catering business, and have put in several dining tables due to popular demand. To eat in, order at the counter, and they'll bring the food to your table. This location is open Monday thru Friday, 11:00 - 2:30.

We came on a Thursday. My wife ordered a Chicken Duxelle lunch special plate, with mashed potatoes and broccoli w/ cheese. She also got a cup of dill tomato soup, which she raved over. I tasted it, and it was a little too dilly for me. I liked the bits of stewed tomato in it, though. This was all served hot. We split this meal, as it would have been large enough to stuff a truck driver. My wife got hot tea, and I got botanical iced tea. We finished with a peanut butter cookie, and a Heath Bar cookie.

Most of the clientele were ladies, and only two or three men there. I'm surprised more men haven't discovered this place. It has ample portions of great-tasting food, though not much atmosphere. I guess the "gourmet" recipes appeal to the southern ladies.

This Clementine's is in an older (circa 1950?) residential area, in a commercial building that looks more like it was a hardware store than a restaurant. It is a block or two north northwest of the Five Points intersection.

My wife and I shared this very satisfying lunch, for a total of just under $20.

• Visited November 2012

Hartselle, Alabama
“Good home-style cooking”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I ate at the O'Shaughnessy location. While this location has a more extensive menu, I have only eaten the daily special. I ate there on a Tuesday for the first time, only to follow it up with eating there on Wednesday also for lunch. I have had the baked chicken and the fried chicken along with green beans and a salad both times. I loved the food and the size of the salad was amazing. It reminded me of eating at my Grandma's house. From my experience the main items seems to be a scoop of chicken salad with two sides. They have quite a variety, but I will take anything as long as I can have the salad as a side!

• Visited August 2012