“#2 'Best Sunday Brunch'”
Review of 1892 East

1892 East
Ranked #16 of 609 Restaurants in Huntsville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Huntsville, Alabama
“#2 'Best Sunday Brunch'”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The Valley Planet survey ranked 1892 East as 2nd 'Best Sunday Brunch.' Also, 1st 'Best Lunch,' 1st 'Best Restaurant for Vegetarians,' 3rd 'Best Desserts,' 3rd 'Best Chef in the Valley' (Steve Bunner), and 3rd 'Best Restaurant Overall.'

My wife and I came here around noon for a Sunday brunch. We were seated immediately, even though we had not made a reservation.

My wife ordered the Southern Breakfast Plate. I ordered the Southern Benedict. This is two poached eggs, bacon, and gravy served on a big biscuit. :-) I ordered coffee, and my wife ordered decaf. It is worth ordering coffee here just to try the french press decanters that brew your coffee at your table. Brunch was excellent. Our total bill for these two brunches was about $36. That's kind of pricey, but everything was nicely upscale so we got what we paid for. We left full and happy.

Our server, a friendly young lady named Lindy ("like the 'Lindy Hop'"), took very good care of us. When we asked the origin of the restaurant's name, she clued us in that this area of town was originally surveyed in 1892 as the East Huntsville Addition, before it became known as Five Points. A link to info on this historic district is at http://fivepointshistoricdistrict.org/index.html

• Visited November 2012

Denver, CO
“WOW! Great experience!”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I was in Huntsville for business and picked 1892 East for one of my dinners. It is located in the Five Points neighborhood, not too far from downtown. The interior was clean and crisp, without a lot of noise. They had a good selection of draft beers from AL and GA brewers. I ordered the pork shank entree and it was...Wow! The flavors in the dish were smooth and creamy with chunks of melt in your mouth pork and smooth sweet potato puree. I was dreading the final bite since it meant I was done. I also ordered apple crisp for dessert and it was really good. Both dishes could be shared, but you'll want the whole pork shank dish for yourself. If I come back to Huntsville, I'll go back to 1892 East to try something else. Highly recommended!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank just_da_fax
“We love this place”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I eat at 1892 East quite often. The food is quite good with unique combinations. The staff is knowledable and friendly. Atmosphere upscale without being overly snooty. Great choice of beers. I enjoy the extremely fresh taste of locally grown items. Excellent.

• Visited October 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A missing link in Huntsville restaurants.”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I would have to go to Atlanta to find a comparable restaurant of this kind. Now we have a great place right at Five Points.

The use of local produce enhances the quality of the meals. The staff shows great innovation when incorporating our local foods into the menu items. (Be sure to go during peach season.)

It is nice and comfortable with good service and reasonable prices.

• Visited July 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Outstanding food, service and value”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We chose this restaurant to entertain friends and we were NOT disappointed. The menu was original - and fabulous. Plus, the meals and wine were reasonably priced. All at our table enjoyed their meals - fresh food, fine atmosphere, excellent service. I highly recommend this place.

Visited October 2012