“Dumpy hotel”

Candlewood Suites Huntsville
Ranked #28 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I spent 2 nights at the Candlewood in Huntsville Alabama In August 2012. The hotel looked nice from outside but was not inside. The room was dumpy with cheap looking furniture. The water out of the faucets was brown. The hotel told me when I complained that they were working on the lines. I would have liked to have been told about that at check in. The hotel gym had token equipment and was too hot. The only positives were the bed was comfortable and the AC worked well.

Room Tip: Skip this one.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Run26miles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Huntsville, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Dear Run26miles,

We welcome feedback especially from our valued guests like you. I am delighted to know you found our hotel exterior commendable. We are always happy to provide a consistently clean, comfortable and courteous place for our guest to stay. However, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have encountered with the room accommodations and condition of the water. Rest assured, your review will be forwarded to the appropriate departments and will be used to reconsider improvements needed. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 10, 2012

First the pluses: the Candlewood Suites Huntsville is in a great location, with easy highway access and close to a nice mall for shopping and dining. The US Space and Rocket Center is also just down the road. 1 bedroom suites are extra spacious and include a full kitchen and a huge dining/work table. The guest laundry is free of charge (detergent is $1 per load) and a welcome feature for families on the road.

Now the negatives: the property is pretty old and it shows in the room decor and general run-down feel. The hallways and the combined laundry/snack shop/exercise room/business center room are unbearably hot. During our stay, there was a leaking pipe that dripped water into the laundry room; this probably caused the fire alarm to go off randomly several times during the night, forcing confused guests into the hallway and the flustered front desk attendant to field lots of phone calls. Finally, our second floor room had a very poorly constructed floor that amplified every footstep, such that anything other than a tiptoe would come across as a loud "thump" in the room below and caused a complaint to the front desk from the guests below.

The price is right ($70 per night but breakfast not included) for such a spacious room but I would shop around for a more modern hotel next time in the Huntsville area.

Room Tip: Insist on a first floor room unless you want a call from the front desk complaining about the noise.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank gwwyjjliu
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Huntsville, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2012

Dear gwwyjjliu,

Thank you for giving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good. We are so sorry you did not enjoy your stay here with us. I deeply apologize your stay was negatively affected by the hotel decor, unusual temperature of the facilities, condition of the room and fire alarm. I understand the discomfort this caused you. We value the opinion of our guests as this gives us the avenue to improve the quality and service that we impart. We would like to have the chance to host your next stay in Huntsville to show you our progress.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHG Care

Reviewed June 4, 2012

We flew into Huntsville on Sat. and out on Sunday and just needed a comfortable bed, clean bath and quiet surroundings near 565 for a good night’s sleep. Candlewood was exactly that and the price couldn’t be beat. We didn’t need the kitchen facilities, but since we had a microwave we popped the popcorn left for us and went downstairs and bought another bag. We didn’t watch much TV, but it was a nice flat screen with all the normal channels. If we’re passing through Huntsville again, we would definitely stay there.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2012

This property was wonderful. The staff (Brenda and Mrs Myles) were exceptional in helping us get around the city. We had the same experience at Candlewood in Murfreesboro. I highly recommend Candlewood Suites where ever you go!!

It was kinda funny - while we were there, there was a show call "Hotel Impossible" that came on. It is about a man who goes to hotels that are in trouble and tries to get them back on track.

When he started looking at the cabinets, looking under the beds, and at the fridge, my husband started to do the same thing in our room!! Again, my favorite CANDLEWOOD Suites passed the test! Even the top of the cabinets were dust free!

If you find one in another city, that doesn't meet your expectations, let me know!!

Thank you Candewood Staff!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MTSUParents
CandlewoodSuites201, Manager at Candlewood Suites Huntsville, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. So glad that you enjoyed your stay.

Audrey Davis
Operations Manager

Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

Me and my family were displaced due to fire and smoke damage at our home . We stayed at Candlewood Suites for 2 1/2 months. It was truly a home away from home. The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel was clean and conveniently located. We can truly say even through our misfortune we enjoyed our stay. Ronnie and the housekeeping staff were awesome and was always making sure we were comfortable . I highly recommend this hotel for short or long stay.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank cwhow77
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I had never stayed at a Candlewood before, but I was pleased with what I encountered at this hotel. Friendly staff, clean rooms, and comfortable bedding make it all worthwhile. I like the Candlewood Market; it is well-stocked with foods, drinks, and other necessary items that you can pick up and charge directly to your room. Washers and dryers are readily accessible, as well as exercise equipment. The hotel is not even a mile from the Bridge Street Towne Center, with upscale restaurants, shopping, and a movie theater.

I found the rooms to be a little on the outdated side, although it appears that attempts were being made to remedy this. They are pet friendly, which is a plus. Overall, I was not disappointed with my stay, and if I had to, would come again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank pammommy
Reviewed January 31, 2012

As a frequent business traveler, I found this location great for DAU courses in the area. It is VERY close proximity to a local mall with great food choices, PF Chang, Cafe Laredo and a movie theater (Monaco Theater). The hotel had free internet and newspapers. Rooms come equipped with full sized refrigerators and dishwashers along with dishes, pots and pans,

Room Tip: The room I was in had a really noisy heater so I warmed my room up before I got into bed and it was...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business