“Noisy staff, talking in the corridor and outside our window”

Candlewood Suites Huntsville
Ranked #28 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Tupelo, Mississippi
“Noisy staff, talking in the corridor and outside our window”
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Although the gal that checked us in was very accommodating - we were given a non-smoking room that someone had smoked in prior to our stay - she did put us in a better room, the staff was very noisy in the morning before 8:00 AM. Talking loud to each other while standing right outside our door then the smoking area just happened to be outside our window. At 8:15 AM they were laughing and talking outside our window... unbelievably inconsiderate. The gal that checked me out didn't even ask if we enjoyed our stay. Don't bother staying here. The shower smelled like smoke because the vent was in there and I'm sure was catching smoke from another bathroom and "bleeding" into our bathroom. I won't be back to this location or any other Candlewood Suites. Ugh.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Dawgintupelo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Hats off to the Candlewood Suites Huntsville for providing a wonderful hotel experience. We spent 5 days at the Candlewood while househunting. It was wonderful to have a full suite, with a kitchen! After being out all day, we did not want to go out to dinner every night. We had brought a few snacks and breakfast foods with us but the Cupboard was wonderful with a hugh selection of "fast" foods for when we decided we were to tired to venture out. We saved a fortune by eating most meals in. (But we did get to eat out at a couple of local restaurants that were great!)

The staff was friendlier and more helpful than most hotels I have experienced. They made sure we had everything we needed to make our room a home away from home, give us great directions and recommendations and answered tons of questions for us regarding the area!

The free washers and dryers made coming home and unpacking so nice, with all of our clothes washed! The exercise room looked great, but honestly after walking all day, we didnt take advantage of it! All in all, it was a wonderful week and we will stay there again when we finalize our purchase and make the move!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank Glenette
Tucson
Reviewed October 31, 2010

I had planned on staying for two weeks but the ever present cigarette smoke drove me away after three days. Smoking and non-smoking rooms are next to each other and smoke is ever present in hallways. There is no ventilation to remove smoke from the building so essentially the facility is a fully smoking one; smoke and smell permeate everything. The facility is past its prime and it is begining to show. The mattress needed replacement - its concave shape showed its age. The staff is friendly and pleasant but unable to resolve ventilation issues within the building.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank orion571
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Reviewed October 11, 2010

The purpose of our trip was for a funeral. We have dogs and this was one of the few pet friendly hotels that we could find. It's so difficult sometimes traveling with pets.

I could imagine there are some people with dogs that ruin it for those of us who have excellent, clean and well behaved pups!

The hotel was having a new roof put on it as of 5th/6th 2010. The rooms were very nice, and my girlfriend said she slept very well... These hotels have mini kitchens inside them, and that was the only dated part. The whole hotel served its purpose very well. It was clean and comfortable.

I felt very safe at the hotel. There were a few good places for your pups to go potty.

The staff was very polite and kind. We had a very good rate.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wingslogo84
GA
Reviewed November 18, 2009

I always stay here when in Huntsville. Candlewood and Staybridge are great when traveling with pets, which i do. The rooms are nice enough, outdated TV but it worked okay. No wireless so unless you pack a router, you will be stuck to the desk a lot. They provide a well stocked kitchen, full fridge, mini stove top, microwave and dishwasher. Limited counter space but if alone thats not an issue. The biggest drawbacks are lack of a free breakfast bar and the wired internet. Everything else is great for a 2 week stay, grills outside are an added bonus.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank JustMyTw0Cents
St Louis
Reviewed October 26, 2008

I stayed for 2 weeks. I would stay there again. It needs to be updated and have wireless internet instead of hardwire. You can borrow movies, which is nice. The gym in the hotel is too small for the amount of people staying there. They give you a pass to a gym a few miles away. It was too far, but very nice with all the equipment and classes anyone would want.

• Liked — kitchenette
  • Disliked — dated appearance
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank BoxersRule
Atlanta
Reviewed July 15, 2008

I've stayed here several times since they opened. Each time I say I won't go back. The rooms were on the "very good" side when new, but renovations and general sprucing up are very past due. My biggest problem on every visit has been getting the accomodation I request and reserve. They never have the room as requested and never want to take the time to check to see if such a room is available. I was there this Memorial Day Weekend with my husband who had just gotten out of the hospital. We probably should have rented a wheelchair, but was told when I reserved that a room would be available close to an exit. When I went to check in, the front desk person said that one wasn't available and there was nothing at all on the first floor. She claimed she didn't know which rooms were close to exits on the upper floors and I ended up running all over the hotel myself to find a room close to an exit (there was nothing at all available close to the elevator). I finally found a room which was marked non-smoking, but reeked of stale cigarette smoke. I probably should have just cut my losses and found other accomodations at a hotel willing to offer assistance, but we had driven many hours so we just stayed. Not a good decision.

• Liked — The location was near restaurants we enjoy and convenient to shopping
  • Disliked — Attitude of front desk person, as well as smell of smoke and lack of reserved accomodation
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Basicaa