“One of many - partly upgraded, well maintained”

Baymont Inn & Suites Huntsville
Ranked #42 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Frankfurt, Germany
“One of many - partly upgraded, well maintained”
Reviewed January 15, 2011

Frequently staying at La Quinta hotels I am not usually a fan of oddly shaped hotels like this property in Huntsville - they tend to look like very old hotels compared to the charming style of other newly built locations. However, after reading through the reviews of the other hotels in Huntsville, I decided to give this one a shot - on the low end of available room prices and at the upper end in more recent reviews, I was at least sceptical, assuming that something had to be wrong here.
Well, immediately after arrival I found myself proven wrong. While there is not really a front desk, it's more like a little closet to the right of the entrance, I quickly found myself in a room that combined old & new world of the La Quinta Franchise. The furniture itself was still the light-brown colored wood of the past LQ styles, while covers and blinds and everything else already appeared in the new red/green color scheme. There was a flatscreen TV, wireless internet, room was nicely cooled and clean. I have almost no complaints - having a room near University Drive, I noticed that the windows lack insulation. I could clearly hear traffic on the roads. Huntsville having a lot of military, people seemed to be getting up early so that the road was only quiet between 10 and 6. Soundproof windows would have been a great advantage here. But other than that I spent a good and restful night.
The property is located immediately on University Drive, Madison Square Mall is just a stone's throw away from the hotel. Driving up and down University Drive you can find a wide selection of full-service and fast food restaurants, all attractions and points of interest are within realistic driving distance.
I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel for a stay, at least for a night. It was quiet enough to get rest and yet central enough not to lack any amenities.
The only thing I didn't get after having stayed: how can Huntsville have so many La Quinta properties of so varying standards within close proximity - be careful and do not pick the wrong one...

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank aRTie81

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed August 22, 2010

My hotel room was very clean, spacious, and decorated very nice. The decor was very modern. The shower had very good water pressure and there was plenty of hot water. There is a pool and fitness room available. All staff I encountered were very nice. There is a free breakfast available but I were to stay again I would go to the Waffle House next door.... The hotel is in a nice area with a lot of shopping, restaurants, and the Huntsville Space Center close by.

• Stayed May 2010
2 Thank JBHatfield
San Bernardino, CA
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Nice hotel to stay. The room was clean, staff was friendly. Close to shopping and resturants. I would stay there again. Hopefully one day they will make it 100% smoke free.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank iriebossman
Dalton, GA
Reviewed August 9, 2010

We stayed here for quick getaway weekend to Huntsville. I have always had very good experiences with La Quinta. Check in staff was friendly and efficient. We had two rooms across the hall from each other. One had a dank smell, a blurry tube tv, and a slightly dirty bathroom. The other was clean and fresh with a modern tv. Breakfast was decent. Tasteless waffles, cereal, juice, less than fresh muffins, etc. The pool didn't open until 11 rather than 9 because of a storm that had been through the night before. It must have been some storm to require 2 hours of clean up. We went to the front desk to ask for a late checkout so the kids could at least enjoy a little bit of the pool before leaving. We were told we could extend to 1pm (rather than 12). We started loading the car at 12:30 when we had a visitor from the front desk. I open the door to "Do you realize checkout was at 12, we have a problem here". I explained that we had called the front desk, etc. Her reply was "Well it wasn't approved by ME, who told you THAT?" We told her we were on our way to the car and she wouldn't have to worry about us EVER again. That is when we realized that they had turned our key access off to our second room. They finally got the room open and we saw the Madison Square Mall La Quinta in our review mirror for the last time.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank Seymour_Playsess
Sarasota/Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed December 1, 2009

My only complaint is that they do not completely separate their smoking and non-smokng rooms. My non-smoking room was just a few feet away from the smoking ones so the hallways stunk! But surprisingly the room itself smelled fine and was clean. It also helped that the window opened and I was able to get fresh air in there. Staff was friendly, complimentary breakfast was great, location was perfect for my needs.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Goldstarvw
Kentucky
Reviewed October 12, 2009

This is not a bad hotel....we rented 2 rooms. They were clean but there were a few stray hairs in the bottom of the bath. One of the shower handles was very hard to adjust and really needed to be replaced as it was almost impossible to get anything other than hot water. The staff was quite rude at check in and at breakfast. Hotel has a waffle maker with mix--The mix was empty and we informed front desk clerk of this. She spat off that it was just slow moving and offered no further assistance. Another hotel guest arrived and went to tell the desk clerk the same thing and she was also snapped at. The desk clerk finally came over, practically threw the chair out of her way and got a refill. Very very rude!! There was a large dog in one of the far rooms on the 1st floor that was barking out the window every time someone went out to their car...this could also be heard all along the 1st floor. Free internet was not very reliable. I have stayed in way worse...

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank slocam
Opa-Locka, Florida
Reviewed August 8, 2009

I do not write reviews often (honestly, I cannot remember ever writing one), but I just felt that I needed to tell others about this hotel if in the Huntsville area. I have no idea what the other reviewers are talking about. Please do not hesitate to make a reservation at this location. Our room was recently rennovated and was immaculate! When we walked in the room, there was a card with a HAND WRITTEN note waiting for us welcoming us to their location and thanking us for choosing to stay there. They also placed a cookie right by the card! Also, within 10 minutes of our walking into our room, the very nice man who checked us in called and asked if we were happy with our room and also asked us to let him kow if there was "anything at all" that we needed. Please tell me, when was the last time ANY chain hotel treated like this? I have NEVER felt so welcome there. I am a Marriott Rewards member and the only reason I did not stay at one of there locations in Huntsville is because they would not accept my points for the 3 specific nights we were going to be in town. I love, love, love Marriott, but I have to admit that none of their locations has ever treated me like this La Quinta hotel did. Also, our little 12 pound Italian Greyhound stayed with us for no extra fee, Marriott charges a $100.00 non-refundable pet fee at the Residence Inn. La Quinta does NOT charge an extra cent. Make your reservation and ENJOY! Thank you so much La Quinta!

• Stayed August 2009