“Best Schnitzel in Huntsville”
Review of Schnitzel Ranch

Schnitzel Ranch
Ranked #344 of 601 Restaurants in Huntsville
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Huntsville, Alabama
“Best Schnitzel in Huntsville”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Last week, my family decided to try the Schnitzel Ranch. After living in Germany for over seventeen years, my wife and I have a pretty good idea about how a good schnitzel should be served. In the end, we were not disappointed. My wife and three kids all ordered schnitzel and I had the Cordon Bleu. All were excellent as well as were the fried potatoes. Would like to see them cook the fried potatoes (Bratkartoffeln) with bacon and onion though. That would add to the taste and make it much more authentic. The only disappointment was the Spaetzle as it was not homemade. As a desert surprise, we were delighted to see that the Schnitzel Ranch served Spaghetti Eis. A great treat that we always enjoyed while in Germany.

• Visited September 2012

Huntsville, AL
“Quaint and friendly”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We've been to this restaurant several times and not had the experiences some of the other reviewers have had. It is a fun and quaint place for especially for lunch, but if you are looking for a plush atmosphere and fine china, best go to another German restaurant in town. Their potato pancakes are wonderful and the service is always excellent at Schnitzel Ranch -- they help us with menu decisions since we have a child with a peanut allergy. We had a wonderful, highly rated German restaurant (and pricier) in another state we lived in, but their food was so rich and there was so much of it half the time I felt uncomfortable (i.e., stuffed) after we left. I enjoy not feeling overwhelmed with fat at the Schnitzel ranch. The proportions are decent but not overwhelming, and I still have to take home a "to go" box. I asked if they made their desserts in their own kitchen (always handy to know with food allergies) and the answer was yes. I don't think the spaetzle is made from a box (I know what boxed spaetzle looks like, I have cheated and used it at home, LOL).

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Cerelia
Athens, Georgia
“Very Disappointed”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Being a German, we tried this place when it first opened and left with mixed feelings about the food and service. Thought we'd try again. I ordered a takeout for my family. Two orders of goulash and a order of the "Hawaii" schitzel. The spaetzel for the goulash were considered side orders and were extra (?). The schnizel had 2 pineapple slices covered with what I think was cheese. The side orders of red cabbage which was also extra had no taste. The spaetzel tasted like something that was microwaved from a prepackage and the goulash meat was tough and chewy. We wound up throwing it out and eating leftovers. I don't think we'll go back.

• Visited February 2012
3 Thank Fred K
Gurley, Alabama
“Friendly service, typical geman food,”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We went to the Schnitzel Ranch for lunch. I had to go to the restroom to wash my hands. The sink was dirty and the towel dispenser empty. The toilet seat was old and worn. I went back to the table. A young girl waited on us, she was friendly and as soon as she realized I was German she spoke German to me neglecting my collegue who didn't understand a word.
We ordered Jaeger Schnitzel. He had Spaetzle and Kroketten for a side dish and seemed OK with it. I choose Potato Salad and Red Cabbage. The Schnitzel was good, even though a bit small. I didn't like my side dishes. They tasted to much like vinegar, something I don't put into my abbage nor my potato salad. But that's me. It then suggested to have Black Forrest Cake for dessert. It was good, not great, and to small for what I am used to.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank GiselaF
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
“2 times was enough”
Reviewed March 12, 2012

tried the Schnitzel Ranch right after it opened a few years ago and left disappointed. The service was non existent and the food sub-par. After receiving a coupon from restaurant dot com, I decided it was time to give the Ranch another shot.
My family and I chose a Sunday evening to go and arrived just as the restaurant was opening at 4:30. We were the only patrons and were seated directly. The waitress was there quickly to take our drink order and at the time we ordered a currywurst appetizer. Just a few moments later, the sausage which was served with fries was brought to the table. The sauce on the sausage was spicy and flavorful, and unfortunately the last decent thing we ate that evening. We ordered the Zigeuner Schnitzel, Kase Schnitzel, and Pizza Schnitzel. The Kase and Pizza were the same, with the difference being the pizza schnitzel had a slice of tomato under the cheese. Now, when we ordered, we thought the meat would have a creamy cheese sauce over it. Lo and behold, when they were brought to the table, the meat had simply had a slice of swiss cheese (well, the american cheese wrapped in plastic type swiss cheese) on top of it and then been microwaved to melt the processed cheese slice. Instead of having a nicely pan fried piece of pork, the meat had been dumped into a deep frier. The zigeuner was not spicy at all, and the only way to tell it wasn't just a regular brown gravy was the sole soggy slice of green pepper that was in the sauce. My wife had a small side salad with her order and it had apparently just been dumped out of a bag. My sauerkraut was fresh out of a can and both it and the potato salad we ordered came to us in double bowls so that we would not burn ourselves of the microwaved sides.
Gordon Ramsey, please find your way to this restaurant! The service is the only thing this place has going for it now. At least the waitress was prompt and friendly. The food was dismal, unappetizing, and as this has been our second attempt to have a decent meal here, it will be our last visit.

• Visited March 2012
4 Thank Jim S

Been to Schnitzel Ranch? Share your experiences!