“Very very modern but needs minor tweaks”

SpringHill Suites Huntsville Downtown
Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Mansfield, Texas
“Very very modern but needs minor tweaks”
Reviewed January 24, 2012

The SHS in Huntsville is one of the newest properties and is very much like IHG's Hotel Indigo in that is has excellent lighting, light airy rooms and very 'modernesque' furnishings. Considering they are one of the few descent hotels in HSV that accept Govt per diem I suspect they will be very popular. But a couple of minor things kept it from being a great hotel. First is the towels - where did they come from, the Dollar Store? I mean come on, LQ has better towels. Second was the a/c, while great and I love being able to control the fan, it blows right at your head when you are sleeping - not a good idea. Third was that to me the bed was hard, IHG's new beds are way better, but my companions thought the bed was okay. Decide for yourself. Lastly, all the other per diem hotels offer a manager's reception, at least to the frequent stayers, SHS charges $5.50-6.50 each for beer. WOW, I can go to a high dollar restaurant on BridgeStreet for that. Oh and I might should mention there is no hot tub and I am pretty sure the pool will be shaded after 1 or so but not a huge deal.

On the positive side again, the WiFi does not require you to stand on one foot while patting your back side with your left hand. It was painless and easy - how refreshing!!! Take note other hotels! The large LCD TV was nice and there is an iHome iPhone clock/docking station for the iPlanet ones amongst you. The walk in shower (no tub) is nice as are the huge windows to the room.

Bottom line, yes I will stay here again. I just hope they get better towels and fix the a/v to not blow on my head.

Room Tip: My room was 604 and the view was awful. Pool view would be prefered in summer; otherwise, there is n...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Great location, very clean and comfortable rooms, best of all is the staff! Everyone we meet always greeted us with a smile and ask if there was anything we needed.... Every hotel should train their employees like the Springhill has done. One staff member stood out above the rest.....Nathan , frontdesk staff member, was without a doubt the best we encountered. Always helpful and willing to do whatever we ask. We were in town for a wedding,he and the other staff members helped to make this a very special weekend for all of us. Kudos to the entire staff!

Room Tip: Newer hotel so my GPS was not able to find hotel, a quick call to the hotels and the outstanding sta...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta
Reviewed October 27, 2011

As others have mentioned, this hotel is new, nice, but not in any GPS systems. Here's a hint - set your GPS to the Embassy Suites. It's kinda across the street. By the time you're getting to the ES, you'll see the SHS.

The hotel is the newest version of SHS, with the toilet area separate from the shower area, which isn't for everyone. For a single person staying alone, it's a good setup.

The beds, furniture, linen, appliances, and facilites are new, well maintained and what you would expect from a SpringHill Suites. There is actually a bar in the hotel. It's small, but it's there, with a bartender and stools. The breakfast was typical SHS. The lobby area was a little larger and more active than most SHS hotels.

The room was quiet, everything worked, the employees were wonderful, the location was close to the highway but far enough away that the noise wasn't bothersome and the hotel was very clean. What more could one want?

Room Tip: I was not facing the highway.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank CJKatl
Mike B, Manager at SpringHill Suites Huntsville Downtown, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Thank you very much for your response in reference to our hotel. We like and appreciate feed back as it allows us to better manage the customer experience. We're glad you like the hotel bar and we have lovely function space and an outdoor fire place which is great this time of year.

We look forward to your return and thank you for taking the time to write.

Mike Barnett

P.S. Yes the GPS is a challenge as the city changed the name of the street hopefully in a few more months it will appear.
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed October 19, 2011

This place is always booked up and crowded. I have stayed here several times over the past few months, the rooms are nice and new. the living space is good to relax in and the sperate shower and toliet is different but handy. I will stay here again, if there is a room

Room Tip: Book well in advance
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank chrishA9591KC
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about us. We take these comments seriously and do a little dance when our guests are pleased.

Yes we are fortunate to be busy but want you to come back often so call us when your plans call for Huntsville so we can get you taken care of.

Kentucky
Reviewed October 6, 2011

GPS won't get you there as the hotel is very new. Was lucky to see it on the way to my GPS locale. 2nd bathroom did not have a place to hang cosmetic bag and seemed to be poorly constructed as turning on faucet rattled mirrors. Also the sliding door was noisy as I was trying to slide the door closed to turn on light and minimize impact on sleeping family. Breakfast was good. Hotel has small bar area which is new to Springhill. Nothing major to complain about and will be back in a week.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Thanks so much for the kudos and glad you likje the bar. Not only do we serve drinks but have a tasty menu as well. Yes the GPS thing is a challenge as the city changed the name of the street and it will take just a little longer before it is updated.

We appreciate the fact that you took the time to say something. next time you come back please give me a call and we'll do something special.

Colorado Springs
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Springhill Suites opened downtown in June 2011 and is still looking excellent. The decor is very modern and clean and the suites are very large. They include a mini-refrigerator and microwave, a couch and tables, well-designed workdesk, separate WC and shower. Pluses: clean, modern, roomy, comfortable, extremely well-lit with lots of mirrors, extra sink, breakfast staff is warm and accomodating, free breakfast, free internet. Minuses: Breakfast feels a little lacking (would be nice to rotate other hot entrees), fitness room is tighter than I'd expect from a hotel of this quality and recent build, location feels like you are in the middle of nowhere and requires a car, air conditioning is loud. Both times I checked in the single front desk attendent was juggling too many tasks - multiple phone calls and managing guest check-in. All that being said. I have stayed here twice so far and plan to again. While remote, travel all the way across town to the airport takes only 15 minutes. The spacious well-lit rooms are good enough to keep me coming back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed August 7, 2011

My 2 kids and I enjoyed our stay. The beds were great, hotel clean and staff pleasant. The only issue comes with the doors to shower and toilet area. If the room in dark and someone is using the facilities, you are to see into what should be a private area. The closet has a regular door. I don't think the designers fully checked out their design.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family