“great German food”

Hildegard's German Cuisine
Ranked #9 of 631 Restaurants in Huntsville
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Hildegard's German Cuisine takes pride in serving meals that are freshly prepared, perfectly seasoned, and remind you of dishes served in your Oma's kitchen. You will never leave Hildegard's hungry! Pair your meal with one of our many German weine or biere, and don't forget to check out our decadent dessert case. If there is anything we can do to make your visit with us more enjoyable, please don't hesitate to ask. We look forward to serving you today and for many days to come.
Reviewed November 21, 2013

This tiny hole-in-the-wall restaurant is considerably more than one might expect. They recently expanded and the decor is quaint. Food is great but the servings are generous. We always plan to carry leftovers home for another meal. The staff is wonderful and remember repeat customers! It never fails when we visit, we run into friends there.

1  Thank JANETM45

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Ate here at noon, and my family ordered off of the lunch menu, but I ordered off of the dinner menu in order to try the sampler platter. It included pork schnitzel, Jaeger Schnitzel, and Bier Wurst with three sides (red cabbage, Spaetzel and cucumber salad). The others with me ordered chicken schnitzel and pork schnitzel, each with fried potatoes. The two youngest ordered Wienerwurst and fried potatoes off of the children's menu.

The service was good and swift. The drinks and dinner rolls (Brotchen) arrived quickly. The rolls did not bode well for the rest of the meal however. They were tough, chewy and bland at best. I can only guess how old they might have been.

Fortunately, the rest of the meal was much better. The cucumber salad was excellent. The various schnitzels were good but not exceptional. The gravy on the Jaeger Schnitzel was a little strong for my taste. It could have been any sort of cutlet beneath that gravy.

The potatoes and red cabbage were also quite good.

The recommended Oktoberfest beer was excellent.

The Black Forest torte was better than many German desserts which often have appear beautiful but are sometimes rather bland. It was also large enough for three of us to share it.

I ordered off of the dinner menu, two ordered off of the children's menu,and two ordered off of the reduced price lunch menu - yes, there's a regular price lunch menu and a reduced price lunch menu - I was the only one who ordered alcohol and we shared a dessert, so a bill of almost $75 (with tax and tip) seemed rather high.

Overall, I'm glad to say we ate here once, but I think I'll pass this one by if we're ever in Huntsville again.

I should also add, I'm not German, but my bachelor's degree is in German, and I lived and studied there as a college student.

5  Thank HoosierFamily1996
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Hildegard's is named for it's Owner is family owned and operated and serves very authentic and tasty German food. Try the Jaegerschnitzel with fried potatoes and cucumber salad. All of the food there is made with ingredients from Germany (i.e. the Cucumber salad is made with German yogurt not sour cream as in the U.S). They have a good selection of German beer and wine too. Portions are very substantial so make sure you share your meal or save some room for one or two of Hildegard's desserts. Prices are very reasonable for the amount of food that you are served. There is no where else in the Huntsville area that makes desserts better than Hildegard's either. Our recommendations for deserts here are her Blueberry Cheesecake. All of Hildegard's cheesecakes are made with authentic German Quark Cheese. The chocolate cheesecake is to die for as well as her cottage cheese cheesecake. And, you have never seen or eaten an apple strudel as good as you will have here, so make sure you you try her strudel sometime too. Hildegard's ia small quaint restaurant and the service is very personable. It is on the corner of Whitesburg Dr. and California next to Wolf Camera so if you are looking for it and happen to miss it, make sure you turn around or stop and ask someone where it is as you do not want to miss eating at Hildegard's if you are looking for fabulous and authentic German Cuisine.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We dined here recently and were very pleased with our dinner - the food, beer and ambience transported us back to recent visits to Germany over the past three years. The entrees and flavors were very authentic and the beer could have easily come from a bavarian gasthaus. The servers were small-town friendly. If you don't look out the windows onto the adjacent parking lot, you might think you were dining on a German strasse or platz. A worthwhile visit -- we will return.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Hildegard's is a great place for anyone craving some schnitzel. The Jaeger Schnitzel is very good. All the portions are massive but everyone loved what they got. The waiter was extremely friendly and funny. My only complaint is that they were out of a couple things on the menu I wanted, but it worked out for the better. The spicy soup appetizer is great, although named for having spices rather than being spicy. The food is great though and I definitely hope to eat there again.