“Clean, quiet and comfortable”

Hampton Inn & Suites Huntsville Hampton Cove
Ranked #19 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Clean, quiet and comfortable”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Room was very clean, spacious and quiet. They not only change the sheets but the duvet covers on the beds. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Friends staying at this hotel, at the same time, said that their bathroom needed a bit of an upgrade. Our bathroom was perfect. If this is important to you, ask to see the room before you check in.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Layton, Utah
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The hotel is fairly new. The rooms are nicely decorated.

The staff was great, always friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good. I received all of the quality and attention that I would expect at a Hampton Inn.

The hotel is set in a very quiet area of Huntsville, reached from the main part of town by a drive through the beautiful wooded hills of Northern Alabama.

The only drawback that I could see to this hotel was the location. It is kind of far from the main part of town, and there isn't a lot in the way of restaurants nearby.

While I liked this hotel a lot, I will probably try to find something closer to town the next time that I'm in Huntsville on business.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank really_been_there
Georgia
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I again stayed at the Hampton Inn in Hampton Cove (Huntsville, Al.) this past weekend. I was very appreciative of the fact that they let me have an early checkin time. Instead of driving to Huntsville all in one day (8 1/2 hour drive), I had left the evening before after work and drove 4 hours which was going to put me in to the hotel around 11 am or noon. I called ahead of time and asked if it would be possible for an early checkin. They very graciously accommodated me. When I arrived at the hotel, they even gave me a choice of a first or second floor room.

The bed was fantastic. The bathroom had a nice walk in shower, which I like. I know some folks like the tub/shower combo, but I prefer the walk in shower. The carpet had a few areas that needed to be spot cleaned, but beside that, it was a pretty clean room. (I thought at first the carpet had burn holes in it even though it was a nonsmoking room, but upon closer inspection, it was just a few spots like black tar or something.)

The breakfast was the norm. I do like the fact that they offer hot oatmeal already made up and not the instant that you have to make in your bowl with hot water. They have the normal waffle maker and then offer cold cereals, yogurt, bagels, toast, muffins, sweet rolls and fresh fruit. Every day they also offered two hot items. One morning it was bacon and french toast and the next morning it was eggs and hashbrowns. Very clean eating area and the attendant was very attentive.

About the only complaint I have about my whole visit was the placement of the toilet tissue in the bathroom. (Room 124). It was placed way behind the toilet. You almost had to get up and turn around to get it. Maybe other folks are more limber than I, but with my bad back, to have to turn clear around to reach it, it was very inconvenient. I ended up just taking the tissue off the holder and putting in on the floor (on a towel, not on the floor itself).

I am sure we will be staying here many more times in the coming years as it is only about 1/2 from our son's house so it is very convenient for us to stay here and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta
Reviewed July 19, 2012

For the second year in a row I have spent 5 nights at this hotel and once again it was great.
Very convient, clean, fairly priced and with a super staff.

Room Tip: I stayed in a king suite for a few dollars more but worth it. Very comfortable. Ask for a room on t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Georgetown, South Carolina
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I booked this room, not for myself but for a friend who was in town for Mother's Day weekend. I did however stay overnight once during their travel and my experience was great, as they reported the other 3 nights to be as well. Clean rooms, nice breakfast, responsive staff. Everything you would normally expect from a Hilton Brand hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I'm currently in the middle of a 6-night stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites - Hampton Cove. I'm enjoying it very much.
All the staff have been very polite and friendly. They greet me every time I walk by.
The housekeeping staff is busy at work by the time I go down to breakfast around 9 each morning. In fact, twice they've left a note on my door saying they respected my "do not disturb" sign, but to let them know if I needed anything.
I'm staying in a room with a very comfy King sized bed, a sofa bed, a chair and a desk chair, a coffee table, two nightstands, a bench at the end of the king bed, and a spacious desk. Even with all that furniture, I'm not tripping over things, there's still plenty of room to move around. The room also has free wired and wireless internet, lots of lamps, two telephones, a flat-screen tv, a clock-radio with nature sounds, and a microwave, mini-fridge, and coffee maker. The bathroom is very spacious with a lovely vanity with shelving underneath, some shelving in the wall, 4 towel hoops on the wall, and hooks on the back of the door. Lots of places to hang things. The shower (no tub in this room) is spacious and has sliding doors. There is also a wide closet with a mirrored door.
I did not get a suite. This is a standard room, but it is very spacious.
I slept on the sofa bed the first night and it was reasonably comfortable, for a sofa bed. The king sized bed is a lot more comfortable, of course, but still, I had no trouble sleeping on the sofa bed. The AC unit does blow right across it when it is extended, though, so my feet got a little cold.
Speaking of the AC, it's mounted into the wall under the window, but the controls are on a thermostat on the wall. You can set the temperature you want, digitally. The controls are a little low and I have to keep bending down to set it, but I finally figured out that is for handicap accessibility, and I realized the whole room is very accessible, even though it's not designated as a handicapped accessible room.
The room is very clean. In fact, my favorite thing so far was a sticky-note that was on the headboard of the bed. It said, "The sheets and duvet are clean for your arrival." I really appreciated that note. I usually pull the top cover off the hotel beds, not knowing when the last time they were cleaned was. But apparently this Hampton cleans the duvet for each guest's arrival. That's fantastic.
The lobby area is very nice and coffee, tea, and hot chocolate are available all the time. They put cookies out in the evening. I think they only put them out once and they go fast, because I haven't gotten one yet, but I did see the crumbs yesterday.
Breakfast is a very typical, hotel complimentary breakfast, but the breakfast attendant is not. This lady never stands still. She works and works and works. Even late when there are only one or two people having breakfast, she's still cleaning and straightening and working. She wipes down the tables after each guest gets up, and let me tell you, germs don't stand a chance! She doesn't just "wipe" the table, she SCRUBS the table, the chairs, the little space in the back of the chair where crumbs always end up, the table legs, the chair legs, every surface there is. Come back in a month or so and the finish will probably be scrubbed of the tables. Meanwhile she also keeps the food stocked and is polite to all the guests.
Let's see if I can remember everything there is at breakfast...
Make your own waffles, a section of breads you can toast (english muffiins, sliced wheat bread, assorted bagels, blueberry muffins, chocolate muffins [one day of three, so far]), spreads for the breads, syrup for the waffles, two hot items each morning (french toast sticks, hash browns, canadian bacon, sausage, omelet patties with cheese have been offered so far) oatmeal, juice, milk, assorted cereals in mini boxes, (Frosted Flakes, Special K, Rice Krispies, and some others) yogurt, and fresh fruit. You can also request breakfast to go and they'll pack you a brown-bag breakfast.
There is an outdoor, salt-water pool. I haven't tried it yet. It looks clean and inviting. I haven't looked for the fitness room. There is a business center with computers, printing, copying, and faxing. There's no charge, as far as I could tell.
The wireless internet connection has been very good. I use a cell phone that is wi-fi enabled, meaning, I can make calls via the internet if I have a good wi-fi signal. The wi-fi network here has allowed me to make very good quality wi-fi calls.

Yes, I like it here very much. There are some things to consider, though, before you make your reservation.
1. This hotel is on a highway next to nothing. You need a car. Don't stay here if you are planning to fly into town and walk everywhere. There is a Super-Walmart at the next intersection where you can get groceries, but it's not somewhere you'd want to walk back from with grocery bags. It took us about 15 minutes to get to the Air and Space museum. It's on the east side of town, so it was nice from the direction we were coming from to get here late at night without having to drive through Huntsville.

2. You can hear the highway from the rooms on the front of the hotel. The AC does drown it out, so I haven't had any trouble sleeping. But if you're a light sleeper you should ask for something on the back of the hotel.

3. No tub. I don't know, that seems to bother some people. (Why would you sit in a hotel tub anyway?) The shower is nice and the shower head is a good one.

If the manager walked up to me and told me that there was some money in the budget to spend, and asked me what I recommended, the only thing I've noticed that would help, would be one of those shaving/make-up mirrors that mounts to the wall in the bathroom and folds out where the guest needs it. That would be a nice touch in the bathroom.

My only "complaint" is that the exhaust fan in the bathroom either doesn't work, was never wired, or doesn't exist. There's a cover on the ceiling above the toilet, where one should be. But I don't know if there's really a fan up there, or maybe the electrician forgot to wire it with the light when it was installed. There's not a separate switch I can find for it anywhere.

Oh and personally, I never use a coffee maker that sits in the bathroom. It would be nice if there were a little table for it somewhere out in the room. I know the sink is in the bathroom, so that's where the water is, but... maybe it's just me.

Overall it's a great place to stay, and I appreciate all the reviews before that helped me make my decision.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the building probably do not get the road noise. They do host parties downstair...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank SouthpawKB
seattle
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Hampton Inn & Suites Huntsville Hampton Cove

Check-in: A bit slow as there was a new person at the desk who seemed confused about the whole procedure about prepaid rates, upgrades, etc. but everything worked out in a reasonable time. I did have to ask for an upgrade and originally was put in a standard room on a middle floor. Answered all my questions about the property and places to eat but nothing special about local places.

Room: Nice. Suite that is two standard size rooms with 11-12’ ceilings. Entry with counter, sink, microwave, and refrigerator. Good work area with sofa. The quality of the furnishings is definitely much better than Hampton standard and if it wasn’t for the paper cups and plastic plant, it could have been a Hilton.

Breakfast: Take out bag – fruit, muffin.

Location: Close to golf – not sure what else.

Rating: 10/10 (as compared to other HIs). Not your typical Hampton – well done!

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo