“Overrate”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Scottsboro, Alabama
“Overrate”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Just think the BBQ is overrated. BBQ chicken was dry. Food was just what I would call ordinary. That is, nothing special.

Visited November 2011

Madison, AL
“Awesome”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Great food, friendly staff! If you're in Huntsville, you can't beat Dreamland. (To some, those are fighting words!) I will keep coming back.

Visited July 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
“Not so dreamy”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I had long been wanting to try Dreamland BBQ having heard about it for so many years. Having traveled to Huntsville a few times for business as well, I was never able to make it, but, when recent circumstances allowed me to be in Huntsville, I was not going to be denied.

I should have known that things weren't right when I went to the restaurant website to look for directions. The directions they have listed from the airport are confusing and so I had a little trouble finding the place. As a matter of fact they are downright terrible directions.

Upon arrival I found an empty restaurant (it was early afternoon) and smoking meat in the back and thought I had won a lottery. The service was very good, but, that's basically where my luck ran out.

The ribs were skimpy and even dry. The chicken was very good but not enough to make up for the dissapointment the ribs were. Their sauce is quite tasty and the baked beans and cole slaw, while good, were not anything special.

The worst of all was what they want to charge. The Full Slab is $19.50 and well, it's just not worth it. At $7.20 the Half Chicken is good, but, not THAT good.

Talk about being extremely bummed by this experience. I've heard that the locations in Tuscaloosa and Birmingham are the pinnacle of southern BBQ but I just can't see myself going back to Dreamland BBQ. Well, in Huntsville at least.

• Visited August 2012
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“The Pits of Bar-B-Que”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Never in my life have I seen such a waste of a smoke pit as this restaurant Of the four of us that ate there--one from Wisconsin, one from Georgia, one from Illinois, and one from Louisiana--who are all Bar-B-Que fans, we could .all only come up with one consensus--the sides were the best items we ate! The ribs were dry and small, the portion sizes were small, the chopped pork was pretty dry and bland, the sauce was a bland vinegar base, and the service was only okay. Best tip I can give anyone is "Don't do it". For the price charged, the fare left a lot to be desired...

• Visited August 2012
South Carolina
“If the Pit isn't Lit, Skip Your Trip”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I love Dreamland so we were VERY happy to stop when driving through Huntsville. The fragrance was heavenly when we were in the parking lot, but the ribs were tough, dry, and not at all what I expect from this great BBQ legend. When visiting the men's room, an open side door revealed portable catering cookers in the parking lot. The cook told me they were having a problem with the regular pit. And THAT explained the discrepancy in respect to previous experiences. Ribs were flavorful and smoky, just not as good as when cooked traditionally at Dreamland. Next time, I'll check out back before going in front! Waitress was super.