“Loved it!”

US Space and Rocket Center Admission
Ranked #1 of 76 things to do in Huntsville
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Home to Space Camp, Aviation Challenge and NASA's Official Visitor Information Center for Marshall Space Flight Center; The U.S. Space & Rocket Center is recognized as one of the most comprehensive U.S. manned space flight hardware museums in the world.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed April 12, 2009

I went to the Space and Rocket Center when I visited my friend in Huntsville. I didn't expect to enjoy it so much but I did -- it was so interesting! We eavesdropped on several presentations to school kids by museum staff and they were all very interesting and informative and made me feel very hopeful and optimistic that the school kids might develop a greater interest in science thanks to the enthusiastic presentations. I suppose my favorite exhibit was the quarantine airstream trailer that the first astronauts had to stay in. But of course the Saturn V is breathtaking!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,422)

Reviewed April 8, 2009

I've always been fascinated with the space program so I was really looking forward to this trip, but overall I found it a bit disappointing. I was awestruck by the Saturn V at the entrance, but after that the experience was all downhill. There are some good exhibits, but it could be much better with some more interactivity. Several of the 'rides' were not in operation so the kids were disappointed, and the admission price is high.

We saw 2 of the 3D movies, "Fly Me to the Moon" which was a pretty low-grade CGI flick, and "3D Mars" which was mostly 2D and very short at less than 30 minutes. Much too expensive for the experience.

Maybe the space camp is more interesting because it was being pushed heavily, but I think the ticket prices should be much lower for everything. Overall I would recommend it if you are in the area but maybe just skip the movies.

Reviewed April 5, 2009

At a cost if $20 each, we got a great exhibit of a Saturn V rocket…and that was about all. The layout of the facility is disjointed and disorganized. The handout map apparently was copied on an old black-and-white copier…almost impossible to read and understand, did not even show the space shuttle display. Except for the person who checked our admission receipt, staff seemed to care little about the visitors. On a positive note, the restrooms were clean and modern…too bad the displays were not. If you have ever visited NASA facilities at Kennedy Space Center or the Johnson Space Center, skip this one. You will be very disappointed. Also, the exhibit of missiles/rockets at White Sands is far superior to the one at Huntsville.

1  Thank rb2424
Reviewed March 25, 2009

We just got home last week from Spring Break. On the way home, our family of 4 stopped at the rocket center and were awed by the history of the rocket program began after WWII with the immigration of 118 German scientists and grandeur of the rockets themselves.

My 4 and 6 year old enjoyed running around in the large Davidson hangar that housed many exhibits and interactive displays that included a fun demonstration of a rocket launch with alka seltzer, a map of the moon with completed lunar missions, an excellent Ares I and V video presentation, a real Apollo capsule burnt from re-entry, the decontamination trailer housing Armstrong/Aldrin/Collins after Apollo 11 returned, lunar vehicle, the wonderful computer center where you can personally view and learn about different aspects of NASA programs at your own speed, including the Hubble telescope and its pictures, and of course the large Saturn V rocket laying on its side.

The main museum had nice exhibits indoor and outdoor. The main gift shop was impressive. We didn't have time for any shows but we will definitely come back in the future, perhaps for Space Camp in the summer.

Reviewed January 20, 2009

This is one of the more pricey trips we have done as a cub scout pack. We did the three day, two night trip and were not disappointed at all. Everyone that went had a great time. The schedule is well planned and there is not a dull moment.

The educational "labs" or shows were excellent. The facilities are great and the history is phenomenal.

If you are looking for an amusement park, this is going to disappoint you, but if you are looking for exciting history and education, this is awesome!

3  Thank btouch