“Great Trip for the Cub Scouts”

U.S. Space and Rocket Center
US Space and Rocket Center Admission
Ranked #1 of 76 things to do in Huntsville
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Home to Space Camp, Aviation Challenge and NASA's Official Visitor Information Center for Marshall Space Flight Center; The U.S. Space & Rocket Center is recognized as one of the most comprehensive U.S. manned space flight hardware museums in the world.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed January 20, 2009

This is one of the more pricey trips we have done as a cub scout pack. We did the three day, two night trip and were not disappointed at all. Everyone that went had a great time. The schedule is well planned and there is not a dull moment.

The educational "labs" or shows were excellent. The facilities are great and the history is phenomenal.

If you are looking for an amusement park, this is going to disappoint you, but if you are looking for exciting history and education, this is awesome!

3  Thank btouch
Write a ReviewReviews (2,422)
All reviews
"great place to visit"
in 52 reviews

Reviewed October 29, 2008

OK, it's two things:
1) Space camp, for visiting groups of youngsters based on educational needs / themes. This seems very popular and activities are well planned for young people of a range of ages.
2) As a drop in visitor to the museum. Personally I found this an excellent experience. The history of Huntsville in propulsion systems. The story of The Apollo Saturn program, Explorer 1, etc. all the way upto date with the Shuttle ISS and Ares. BUT.....this will have the average 4 - 12 year old bored silly in 30 minutes.
Also, the management really needs to take a hard look at the detail as you walk around. The maps are out of date. The Cafe staff all appear to work on the level of a 1970s calculator. Hey guys....200 people who want coffee need more than a pot of 20 portions of milk. Some arrows printed on the floor would also help in walking around the exhibits in a logical progression and would avoid tidal waves of people heading in opposite directions. Also, the labels on some of the external missles have worn out and are way too brief. Name date range and that's it.
But despite the little niggles, I really enjoyed my 5 hour visit around some excellent exhibits that the website does not even begin to do justice to. Recommended but could be improved.

1  Thank G0MRF
Reviewed August 5, 2008

I don't know if others expect a "theme park" atmosphere when it comes to the Space Center, but for me, it was fantastic. Irregardless of how others aound me acted, behaved, or not behaved, I was awestruck at the history of our space travels that this place holds. My grandson has gone to the space camp for two years and loves it. His Dad is in the Air Force and we really enjoyed our trip and visit there and looking forward to returning with my classes this year as a school trip. Being able to just see and be close to these rockets, military battalion vehicles, and to see how far space has advanced over the years. My two other grand children also loved it as well as the one that went to camp there. We will be going again, and again, and again. Take the time to reflect through your years growing up and I am sure that you will find this an excellent place to visit without looking for a theme park to entertain your kids and yourself.

Enjoy! We did, and will again.

Linda Edwards Darden
Montevallo, Alabama

2  Thank seabreezeled
Reviewed July 22, 2008

We almost cancelled our trip after reading previous reviews...so glad we didn't.

I'm wondering if some previous reviewers never made it out of the more historical area (as they refer to "posterboards" ) and skipped the main museum altogether. In any case, we enjoyed the museum enormously - even the older section. Having seen the space launches on television, it was awe-inspiring to see the sheer size ot these rockets. And even the older part of the museum has some computer stations with very interesting video -- and I'm not a science geek by any stretch of the imagination.

Going outside, on the way to the main museum, there are two rides, similar to those found at fairs. One takes you to great heights and plummets, the other is a G-force thing that goes round at great speed as you stand in your "seat." Going into the main museum there is another ride that I didn't experience, but our teenagers went on several times - all these are included in the admission price. The museum is chock-full of interactive exhibits every few feet as well as educational displays, videos, sound bits; really a sensory explosion. Learning about the space program becomes an interactive experience in all ways. I tried to land an explorer (crashed both times); walked through what it would be like to live in one of those manned spaceships - well, there's too much to describe. And they don't nickle and dime you - everything is included in admission except food and souveniers.

I highly recommend this.

2  Thank sanlynn36
See more reviews
Reviewed June 29, 2008

I went with my enrichment program to the US Space and Rocket Center, I have to say I will never go back. It might have been partially due to lack of and bad planning on my groups part but it was a total bore-fest. The best part was going to the IMAX and catching up on my missed sleep cause the time change really affected my sleeping and it didnt help that my roomates couldnt stop talking or cough or grinding their teeth in their sleep. But the rides were fun and the cafeteria had good food but it was just not the place for me. I dont really recommend this if your looking for family fun or even a place to ship off your kids in the summer, it was like a boot camp with so many rules and too much is packed in one place to have fun. I only recommend if your a parent taking your smaller children or a you really like space and enjoy learning. But I hated it.

2  Thank WWEfanofVA