“hard to find, decent rooms, surly restaurant staff”

Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South
Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
New Orleans, Louisiana
“hard to find, decent rooms, surly restaurant staff”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Do not follow Google Maps directions to get here--they make you get off an exit before necessary and way out of your way for a u-turn. Hotel is set waaaay back (NO raod noise here!) , and if I had not looked on Google Streetview beforehand, and noticed the Hampton Inn close by, we would have turned around before the hotel was visible...

Room was clean (had the handicap special) and quiet. Did not know the bed was adjustable until checkout.

For the overpriced mediocre food served at breakfast, I'd rather the breakfast buffet at the Hampton--the staff was surly--asked for silverware and the hostess turned on her heel and walked into the kitchen without a word; after I politely asked another staff member, the hostess reappeared with the silverware, again without a word. They were generally grumpy. Desk staff was pleasant and helpful.
I am a HHonors member.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
KanaHotelGroup, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for your honest feedback. We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Covington Township, United States
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My stay was excellent. The staff is very accomodating and rooms are very clean and everyone is very helpful. The employees take pride in their work and it shows. Roomservice is quick and had a delicious brownie with caramel and ice cream -every bite was heavenly. Will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

KanaHotelGroup, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
 Thank you for the kind words regarding our staff. We pride ourselves in being service professionals here at the Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the brownie with caramel and ice cream and thought every bite was heavenly. We look forward to your next visit.
Cranford, United States
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This was a truly rewarding experience. I travel extensively and it was nice to come into a relaxed and friendly environment. Staff were very helpful and willing to go the extra mile! This was my second time at this Hilton Garden and I look forward to my next trip there this summer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

KanaHotelGroup, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
 We always enjoy hearing from our guests! Thank you for posting such a pleasant review about our hotel the Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South.
Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel this weekend. Our room was cleaner than average, the beds supremely comfortable. There was a spider in it's web in the corner of our room, but that would be my only complaint about the room itself. However, our pleasant stay was tarnished by two things.

1. The pool is COLD. Cold enough that my children came back to the room with chattering teeth and purple lips. As I read the reviews, I see that I am not the only one who has made this complaint. It seems that despite reassurances to review the pool temp, management has failed to take these complaints to heart.

2. Beware at breakfast. When we went downstairs for breakfast, I noticed that they had a menu placard of hot made-to-order items with prices attached. We were only wanting a light breakfast as we were having an early lunch prior to the funeral we were in town for, so we opted for what looked to be continental breakfast offerings. I made this assumption because if hot items had prices, logically the others would as well. So imagine my surprise when we were handed a bill for $20.00 for four "breakfast special's". We had three bowls of soupy oatmeal (really, two, because our small children each only had a half bowl), two small bowls of mixed fruit salad, two small yogurt cups, and and small glass of OJ. When I inquired at the desk, I was told all items are charged, and when I pointed out that their ought to be a sign, I was dismised, and she then went on to say that "if you take even one yogurt we can charge you $7.95". Not the service I have come to expect from the Hilton. I was clearly unhappy, and said that if I knew I was going to pay $20.00 for oatmeal I would have opted for hot breakfast. But nothing was done to right the situation. Later, as we were finishing up our breakfast, a single woman came down with her two teenage daughters. The cook told her that her children could eat free, whatever they wanted. I have to wonder if it is really hotel policy, or if her mini skirt had anything to do with it. When I asked the waitress about it, she seemed confused, but did refund us for our two children's meals. Aside from the fact that a hotel should at least offer a light breakfast included in the price, I would expect staff to be appropriately trained in hotel policy, and for the front desk to be more accommodating or at least show a shred of concern. The bill was no problem financially, it's the principle. I don't like feeling taken. We'll try the Embassy next time. Nicer hotel, and a hot breakfast included.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sarah B
KanaHotelGroup, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience at our hotel. We at take a great deal of pride in meeting our customer’s expectations and are disappointed anytime we fall short of that goal. Your input and concerns are appreciated.

Again, thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. We value your business and will continue to work hard to exceed your expectations.
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Staff was awesome and my experience was very satisfactory! When I arrived I received a free warm cookie and two bottles of water for being a member. I was quickly told how I could earn more points as a member so that I can use them in the future for a free room!

Room Tip: If you do not like walking always ask for a room close to the elevators
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
KanaHotelGroup, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
 We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the cookies and water during your stay with us. Please return often!
Olive Branch, Mississippi
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My daughter's soccer team stayed here last weekend for a soccer tournament. The staff was very attentive. They emailed us beforehand to find out when our games were so that they would know when to have breakfast ready for us. They served the soccer teams in a separate room, which was nice for us and for the other hotel guests. They made a special buffet for us so that we could serve ourselves quickly, and it was excellent.
The rooms were very clean, the beds were comfortable, and the staff was great. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
 Your complimentary review of our hotel the Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South is much appreciated! Hopefully, we'll have the opportunity to host you again soon.
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed here for three nights this week. The hotel is very clean and the bed pretty comfortable. The workout room was very good. Their treadmills are top of the line. We ate breakfast in their restaurant, and it was ok, but nothing special. The morning I was there alone, I was never attended by the waitress other than when I was getting my cereal, she asked if I was going to order anything. The hotel staff was polite, but didn't want to go out of their way for any little requests. There was a small mistake on our bill, and the manager fixed it on our way out even though my husband had asked about it earlier in the day. The manager wasn't in yet, and the front desk clerks said they didn't have the authority to fix it. Seems they should have that authority if a manger isn't going to be onsite. We asked for a late checkout of 1 p.m. and were told 1245 was the latest they allowed for late checkouts. The Internet worked for some sites, but not all would download completely. We work when we get back to the hotel, so will not stay here again for that reason. They didn't offer the govt rate for per diem. The staff was nice, but again, seemed they didn't want to be bothered. Not the usual Hilton property attitude...esp for Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
KanaHotelGroup, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
We are shocked and dismayed to learn of your experience. This is certainly not representative of the level of service we strive to extend to our guests. I always utilize feedback like yours for staff training purposes. Please know your comments are taken very seriously and will be acted upon immediately. Thank you for the distinct service you have provided us by sharing your thoughts.