“A little disappointed”

The Westin Huntsville
Ranked #17 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Very nice location near nice outdoor mall. Room was nice and clean. My disappointment has to do with two things; I ordered a snack when I arrived and had left overs to share with my husband who was arriving several hours later. I took the food upstairs and found the refrigerator locked. When I called downstairs I was told they no longer stocked the minibar but would rent me a refrigerator. Ridiculous. I also didn't have very hot water in the morning.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank YukonRepo
lcozad, Manager at The Westin Huntsville, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2017

Reviewed October 7, 2010

The hotel westin is in a nice location. It is next to a open mall with plenty to eat and close to other things to go and do.The hotel its self was clean and the staff very nice. The down side is it costs alot of money since it is up scale in the eyes of huntsville Al. tho the rooms are clean and the beds very nice you have no real views and the food at the hotel is like most very pricey. But like I said you have other places to eat just outside of it. would i go back yes but just for one night.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We apologize for the cleanliness issues and have forward them to the appropriate manager for resolution.

Reviewed September 4, 2010

I was not impressed with the Westin - it's location was great - it's rooms were pretty average - shower had mildew.

The scariest part was the Sage Grill - went to eat breakfast. Fly infestations on the serving spoons - food covered but duhhh - folks took spoons and contaminated the food anyway!
Told the waitress who ignored it. Told the manager who said (get this),
"Yeah I know, we have a fly problem..." and (get this)
"We were getting ready to close the buffet anyway..."

THIS IS NOT A FIVE STAR HOTEL!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pegakraft

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We apologize for the restaurant issues and have forward them to the appropriate manager for resolution.

Reviewed July 12, 2010

My husband and I, along with our children and grandchildren, spent a weekend here on a visit to the Space and Rocket center. This hotel is very family friendly. The rooms were spacious and clean. The bathrooms were big, as were the rooms. The beds are wonderful. We woke up refreshed in the mornings. The shopping was an added surprise. There were lots of choices within walking distance for dining. The only downside was the four dollar bottles of water in the rooms. Fortunately, we brought our own drinks in a cooler and didn't use the room bottles of water.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank LOelschlag

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Huntsville. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed July 6, 2010

My husband and I stayed for a night here to enjoy the Fourth of July and to have a little staycation.
The good: I loved the Starbuck's coffee in the room and hubby appreciated the Tazo Tea packets. The pillows were wonderful and the linen smelled as if it had been dried in the sun. The shower really was Heavenly. The service was great and very friendly. I asked for some decaf coffee packets at the desk and they were delivered to the room in about 5 minutes, along with extra cups, sugar and creamers. The TV was great, too, and had a good selection of channels. Being in the middle of the Bridgestreet shopping complex was fine, and since I did a little shopping, it was nice to be able to take my purchases right back to the room. We were also able to enjoy the fabulous fireworks show and didn't have to deal with the traffic of, literally, 30,000 people getting out of the complex. So that was all good. I also liked the video check-out option.
The not-so-good: Yes, they tout their "Heavenly Beds." They were a little too firm for my liking. I like a softer mattress. There was not a telephone book in the room (huh?) or a guest services directory, and the menu on TV wasn't helpful. Charging $10 for wifi is a little excessive, too. And this was just strange: the outlets at the desk were flush with the desk and weren't immediately obvious. You had to pull them out and it took me a little while to figure it out. Call me dense. My hubby went to the pool (I forgot my suit) and said it was a little kid soup, especially the whirlpool. Eeww. I guess that's to be expected but it was still not great. The kids were also pretty loud as they ran full tilt down the halls, and the walls just didn't block the noise as much as I thought they should. Housekeeping also visited entirely too early--and we were missing a do not disturb sign in the room.
So, there were just some little omisisons that I didn't expect from a room for $179 a night, in a city where you can get a pretty nice place for $90-$100. The devil is, indeed, in the details.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chickychick

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We apologize for these issues and have forward them to the appropriate managers for resolution. WiFi is now complimentary in all guest rooms!

Reviewed June 11, 2010

i want to voice my displeasure with my stay at the Westin Hotel in Huntsville, AL on 6/6/2010. Arriving late, I had chosen the Westin so I could have a MUCH needed good nights sleep. On the morning of 6/7, I was awakened by an in-room intercom that said there was an emergency and to quickly exit the building and not to use the elevators. Turned out this was a TEST of the system and NO! warning was given to guests!! I was exhausted and stressed from previous days work and to have this occur was unexcusable.

Also that morning as I went to make coffee in the room, bugs and debris from within the coffee maker rose to the top when i poured water into it!! As a result I packed up and left, and had breakfast out.

For the price i paid for this room, neither of the above should have occured.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank yama-cruiser

Reviewed May 14, 2010

Very friendly staff and very nice room, pool and close/part of a new outdoor mall with all the great shops and restaurants! Convenient to everything in Huntsville.

Plus we had our two Australian cattle dogs with us and they were well accepted.....and behaved!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple