“Yes, yes, yes! This is the place we've looked for!”

Silver Coin Indian Grill
Ranked #15 of 168 Restaurants in Hoover
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed February 14, 2014

My wife found the Silver Coin on TA, and we are so glad she did! Our hotel owner also recommended it, and he suggested we make reservations since it was Valentine's Day. It tells you a lot about a place when you call at lunch time to make reservations and don't get an answer. But 2 minutes later the owner called us back and gladly took our reservation. The fabulous aroma of Indian spices greeted us as we entered the foyer. The tables were full but our seat was ready and we were soon greeted by the owner, who remembered us from the phone call. He later came out and brought us a complimentary plate of vegetable cutlets.

The food was superb. Best Indian we've had in a very long time. My wife had the grilled paneer masala with vegetables. I had the paneer tiki masala,a and we both requested medium spice. The seasoning was perfect, the paneer just right and the vegetables were fresh and tasty. The nan bread cannot be surpassed. Even though we were stuffed, we ordered some dessert - the kheer and gulab jamun. Both desserts were perfect, but it's worth noting that the cardamom in the kheer was just right. It's usually way too heavy at other places. We topped it all off with some masala chai tea, well pleased but sad that we'd have to wait for a return trip to Birmingham to eat here again.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

I loved, loved, loved the Gobi Manchuria - it was dry style and very flavorful and spicy - I had it previously at another Indian restaurant in another city and the it was served in a sauce - this was also very good but the dry style at Silver Coin is even better in my opinion - I got an extra order to go because there are no Indian restaurants in my home town and it was even good reheated - I also had the Spinach Kulcha bread which was very good and the Lemon Rice - unfortunately, the Lemon Rice was not a hit with me - it lacked flavor, I could not detect any lemon and they used parsley instead of curry leaves which was a BIG disappointment - parsley is no substitute for curry leaves if you are a fan of Indian flavors - I will go back for the Gobi Manchuria next time I am in Birmingham

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Want to try something unique, authentic and great friendly service....Go to the Silver Coin Indian Grill. Even not being accustomed with all the dishes on the menu the servers are very kind to suggest. Always fun to try new dishes and "pretend" you are in that country without physically traveling.

Food was awesome!!! Definitely plan on going back again soon!!

5  Thank Eraka
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I LOVE this restaurant! I didn't know I was a fan of Indian food until I tried this place. I get the Chicken Tikka Masala every time, and I always have enough to fill me up and have enough left over for lunch the next day. Oh, and try the Rosemary Naan - so good! The atmosphere isn't great, but the service and food more than make up for it.

6  Thank hnewheels
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Finding a restaurant that serves dosas is always a treat and this one does both northern and southern Indian dishes ... very well. The joint is comfortably informal and has better sound suppression than most public venues. Children are tolerated completely---not an issue to us at present but the toddler at the next table fit right in. Another treat was mango and pistachio (separately) kulfis for dessert, which the kitchen or server (Caucasian, pleasant and knowledgeable) quartered to simplify sharing four ways. If we were local we'd eat here regularly.

6  Thank Joe_Wander