“Mildew odor and a cockroach”

Hyatt Place Birmingham/Hoover
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Hoover
Cleveland, Ohio
“Mildew odor and a cockroach”
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

My room had a constant mildew odor that never went away. I had a large cockroach on the ceiling one night that I was able to trap leave under a glass to be taken away so they would believe me. If there is one cockroach on the fourth floor, there are most likely more close by. It wasn't easy to sleep after finding that.
I have stayed at Hyatt Place hotels in the past and have always had a good experience. This Hyatt place seems to new better management. I didn't feel the front desk staff were very nice and polite upon arrival.

• Stayed August 2013
Julie M, Manager at Hyatt Place Birmingham/Hoover, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
I am so sorry that I did not have the opportunity to speak with you prior to your departure. We are certainly always wanting to hear from you while you are still in the hotel so that we can try to redeem ourselves if you are not happy with your stay. I would like to have the chance to speak with you if you would please contact me. I felt very disturbed that you had an insect in the room with you and definitely understand your distress the remainder of the night. I do wish to reassure you that we do have a Professional Extermination Account in place that treats the property on a monthly basis in a preventative program and if a guest ever sees anything it is helpful if you let us know right away so that we can address it immediately. I hope you will reach out to me and I will certainly take steps to make ammends for your dissatisfaction.

julie.mosley@hyatt.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Not sure if all Hyatt Place Hotels are this great but this is a great place. They've figured out how to make a hotel a reasonably priced place to stay and a destination resort. The rooms are killer. Have a separate sitting area and separate work desk area. They have a small bar, a REALLY good breakfast and fresh cooked snacks for after hours.

They have my vote for the best business traveler place to stay and a great family place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Julie M, Manager at Hyatt Place Birmingham/Hoover, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience with others and we hope to see you again soon.

Have a Great Holiday,

AGM
Hyatt Place Hoover
Texarkana, Texas
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I could not have been more pleased. Great customer service and a wonderful breakfast. The hotel was perfectly clean and my bed was amazingly comfortable. The hotel is in a great location and very close o shopping and tons of restaurants. What more could you possible ask for.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for a very nice review and for sharing with others your thoughts on our Hyatt Place Hoover. We hope to see you again soon and have a wonderful holiday.

AGM
Hyatt Place Hoover
Miramar, Florida
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I love this Hotel chain been for consecutive times all over the Country but this one in particular needs a major carpet cleaning to eliminate the bad odor.Perfect for just night.Clean Bathroom, lot's of places to eat around and the Breakfast is very good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Julie M, Manager at Hyatt Place Birmingham/Hoover, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
I sincerely apologize that your experience was less than satisfying and that we let you down regarding the carpet cleanliness and an odor in the room. I do appreciate your acknowledging the cleanliness of the bathroom and our wonderful breakfast. We have just completed cleaning the carpets and upholstery throughout the hotel so I am sorry this had not been completed prior to your arrival with us. We really do appreciate feedback from our guest and it assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel as I would like to be able to speak with you personally and make up for our mistakes and hopefully get the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

205-988-8444
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

My company had 36 of us staying there for 2 weeks. The managers and staff went above and beyond with this one. The updated and well appointed rooms were straightened up in a timely manner. The breakfast bar was fresh and sufficient. One of our guys missed the breakfast bar close time by a half hour, and the food was put away. The kitchen made him something fresh with no complaints! DEFINITELY worth a revisit!!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you so much and please come see us again.

new orleans, louisiana
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Don't let the last few reviews, keep you from staying at the Hyatt Place Hoover. You can't please everyone, some people should just stay home. I am still in the hotel right now, checking out in an hour. The customer service has been better than expected. The young lady who checked me in last night was very polite, gave me a short tour, and called me by name. The manager saw me coming down the hall a few minutes ago and went out of his way to make sure I had everything I needed. The hotel is in good condition. My room was clean and large. The bed was big, comfortable, and the pillows were made for sleeping. Loved the 47 inch HD TV. Free wifi. The free breakfast was way better than most any other hotel's over priced food I have paid for in recent memory. The location is nice. The exterior of the hotel is great, rooms could use a little sprucing, but the bed was fine. Great place for an over night stay. Period end. BTW: I have a Masters in Hotel and Tourism Management, so I am not that easy to please. I would have given the hotel 5 stars, but I never do because there is always room for improvement.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your glowing review. It is always nice to share these reviews with our staff and see the pride they have for a job well done and the proud looks they have as we read them aloud in our morning meetings. So I sincerely Thank you and hope you will be returning soon to The Hyatt Place Hoover.

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Upon checking in (around 10-10:30p), we were given a room that had not been cleaned from the previous guest's stay. I took this lightly, as I know mistakes do happen- however it is strange to imagine that management sent the entire housekeeping team home before all vacant rooms were cleaned. I was staying at the hotel as part of a group for a sport's tournament and found out others in our block had some similar negative experiences. When I walked backed down to the front desk, there were two women agents and one male agent working at the counter. The front desk agent who ended up assisting me did not once apologize for the mistake and even acted bothered by me for needing new room accommodations. The male employee at the counter did not acknowledge me or even look up as I explained what had occured. The issue was resolved, however the way it was taken care of and the way the staff made me feel set the tone for the weekend.
Every staff member I interacted with (except housekeeping) was disappointing and unenjoyable. The front desk team has very little knowledge of how to treat their customers. They are in need of some refresh hospitality training. The manager on duty on Saturday, August 10 should register for the same hospitality training course as his front desk staff. The employees-"manager" included- do the bare minimum necessay to be able to say they "did the job." Not one person I interacted with went above & beyond for me or any members of our group. The treatment of ny family and I, along with the lack of any sort of assistance from the employees I interacted with has unfortunately caused me to write-off Hyatt properties for good.
I was around the corner in Pelham, AL a few weeks ago and ended up in a ramada inn. Everything they did and the customer service they offered exceeded my experience here- THAT SAYS SOMETHING.
The accommodations are fine- they definitely need updating soon- but it is the way you treat people by making them feel special- or in my case, not special at all- that leaves the lasting impression. I will never suggest this or any other Hyatt property to anyone. If fact, I plan on doing the complete opposite and spreading the word of how terrible experience my experience with the staff was.
I have never had staff treat me the way these people have. The treatment I have receiced from the moment of check in until nowhas influenced me to go ahead and post here to warn others. I do not even check out until tomorrow, but from what I've seen, heard and experienced over the past 24 I feel the need to express my experience to prevent anyone else from having to deal with the kind of employees staffed here.

• Stayed August 2013
Andreas M, Manager at Hyatt Place Birmingham/Hoover, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
I am so very sorry that you had a bad experience - We have and are addressing these issues and I appreciate your helping to make certain that we do what is right which is taking care of the customer which is our most important job. Feel free to contact me at adair.michael@Hyatt.com and know that we do hear you and totally appreciate your taking the time to address this with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoover
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham-Hoover-Galleria
Hyatt Regency Birmingham - The Wynfrey Hotel
Holiday Inn Birmingham-Hoover
Courtyard Birmingham Hoover
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Hoover/Birmingham
Homewood Suites by Hilton Birmingham-SW-Riverchase-Galleria

Been to Hyatt Place Birmingham/Hoover? Share your experiences!