“Mildew Odors and Stinky Feet Odor at Room” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hyatt Place Birmingham/Hoover

Hyatt Place Birmingham/Hoover
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Hoover
Miramar, Florida
“Mildew Odors and Stinky Feet Odor at Room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

I love this Hotel chain been for consecutive times all over the Country but this one in particular needs a major carpet cleaning to eliminate the bad odor.Perfect for just night.Clean Bathroom, lot's of places to eat around and the Breakfast is very good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Julie M, Manager at Hyatt Place Birmingham/Hoover, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
I sincerely apologize that your experience was less than satisfying and that we let you down regarding the carpet cleanliness and an odor in the room. I do appreciate your acknowledging the cleanliness of the bathroom and our wonderful breakfast. We have just completed cleaning the carpets and upholstery throughout the hotel so I am sorry this had not been completed prior to your arrival with us. We really do appreciate feedback from our guest and it assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel as I would like to be able to speak with you personally and make up for our mistakes and hopefully get the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

205-988-8444

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

My company had 36 of us staying there for 2 weeks. The managers and staff went above and beyond with this one. The updated and well appointed rooms were straightened up in a timely manner. The breakfast bar was fresh and sufficient. One of our guys missed the breakfast bar close time by a half hour, and the food was put away. The kitchen made him something fresh with no complaints! DEFINITELY worth a revisit!!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much and please come see us again.

new orleans, louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Don't let the last few reviews, keep you from staying at the Hyatt Place Hoover. You can't please everyone, some people should just stay home. I am still in the hotel right now, checking out in an hour. The customer service has been better than expected. The young lady who checked me in last night was very polite, gave me a short tour, and called me by name. The manager saw me coming down the hall a few minutes ago and went out of his way to make sure I had everything I needed. The hotel is in good condition. My room was clean and large. The bed was big, comfortable, and the pillows were made for sleeping. Loved the 47 inch HD TV. Free wifi. The free breakfast was way better than most any other hotel's over priced food I have paid for in recent memory. The location is nice. The exterior of the hotel is great, rooms could use a little sprucing, but the bed was fine. Great place for an over night stay. Period end. BTW: I have a Masters in Hotel and Tourism Management, so I am not that easy to please. I would have given the hotel 5 stars, but I never do because there is always room for improvement.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your glowing review. It is always nice to share these reviews with our staff and see the pride they have for a job well done and the proud looks they have as we read them aloud in our morning meetings. So I sincerely Thank you and hope you will be returning soon to The Hyatt Place Hoover.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Upon checking in (around 10-10:30p), we were given a room that had not been cleaned from the previous guest's stay. I took this lightly, as I know mistakes do happen- however it is strange to imagine that management sent the entire housekeeping team home before all vacant rooms were cleaned. I was staying at the hotel as part of a group for a sport's tournament and found out others in our block had some similar negative experiences. When I walked backed down to the front desk, there were two women agents and one male agent working at the counter. The front desk agent who ended up assisting me did not once apologize for the mistake and even acted bothered by me for needing new room accommodations. The male employee at the counter did not acknowledge me or even look up as I explained what had occured. The issue was resolved, however the way it was taken care of and the way the staff made me feel set the tone for the weekend.
Every staff member I interacted with (except housekeeping) was disappointing and unenjoyable. The front desk team has very little knowledge of how to treat their customers. They are in need of some refresh hospitality training. The manager on duty on Saturday, August 10 should register for the same hospitality training course as his front desk staff. The employees-"manager" included- do the bare minimum necessay to be able to say they "did the job." Not one person I interacted with went above & beyond for me or any members of our group. The treatment of ny family and I, along with the lack of any sort of assistance from the employees I interacted with has unfortunately caused me to write-off Hyatt properties for good.
I was around the corner in Pelham, AL a few weeks ago and ended up in a ramada inn. Everything they did and the customer service they offered exceeded my experience here- THAT SAYS SOMETHING.
The accommodations are fine- they definitely need updating soon- but it is the way you treat people by making them feel special- or in my case, not special at all- that leaves the lasting impression. I will never suggest this or any other Hyatt property to anyone. If fact, I plan on doing the complete opposite and spreading the word of how terrible experience my experience with the staff was.
I have never had staff treat me the way these people have. The treatment I have receiced from the moment of check in until nowhas influenced me to go ahead and post here to warn others. I do not even check out until tomorrow, but from what I've seen, heard and experienced over the past 24 I feel the need to express my experience to prevent anyone else from having to deal with the kind of employees staffed here.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Andreas M, Manager at Hyatt Place Birmingham/Hoover, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
I am so very sorry that you had a bad experience - We have and are addressing these issues and I appreciate your helping to make certain that we do what is right which is taking care of the customer which is our most important job. Feel free to contact me at adair.michael@Hyatt.com and know that we do hear you and totally appreciate your taking the time to address this with us.
Livonia, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Unbelievable. When we arrived at 1130 pm to check in after a long drive with small children; I walked by the front desk clerk on my way in who was smoking out front. Once he came in he told me that our room had been given away tonsomeone who had complained about the cleanliness of their room. I had booked this room 3 weeks in advance and it was prepaid. He said he was the only one there and he didn't have a room for us. He also stated he had not had time to go see the "dirty" room yet. Time to smoke though......The room we had booked had 2 queen beds and a sofa bed. He then told me we had to go down the road to the Holiday Inn. He refused to allownfor the samwnnumber of beds so I had childrennwhonhad to sleep on the floor. By the time we got settled it was 1am. We also lost out on the free breakfast. Not ever booking a Hyatt again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
I am so sorry for your bad experience and would invite you to contact me personally so I can try to correct our mistakes. We certainly would like to show that this is not the normal experience that our guest have when staying in Hoover. We do care very much about the first and last impression our guest have and we failed to make that good impression happen for you and your family and I do sincerely apologize. We have addressed the issues that occurred that evening and want to assure you the feedback you provided can only help us to improve. So, Thank you.

205-988-8444
Kansas City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

The beds were comfy. The location great. The breakfast was good. The problem we had was the cleanliness of the room. The coffee cups in our room were turned over on the tray, as if they were clean. However, there was a thick dried dirty scuz in the bottom of the cups, they had not been cleaned at all, and had obviously been dirtly awhile. The carpet in a large section of our room was sopping wet, and it wasn't near the sink or shower. We had to wonder what this was. Thesew issues should have been easy to catch by housekeeping, and when we told the front desk, they didn't appear concerned or caring at all, but did say "Would you like a different cup?" We thought, really, you have to ask?!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking time to address the issues you had when staying with us. Please know that the Managers and Staff are on board to making certain we bring back the service we should always have which is taking care of our guest not only when you check in but your room should be fresh and inviting from the moment you enter your room - Please know we appreciate the time you took to let us know about your visit - Feel free to get in touch with me at adair.michael@Hyatt.com if I can help in any other way.
Opelika
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Took a trip to BHM for the Matchbox Twenty concert. Family came in from another city to keep the baby while we went to the concert. The family checked in hours before us very easily even though I booked both rooms myself through a third part. The receptionist asked if we would prefer rooms close to one another. SURE! Very unexpected perk given the rooms were totally different, but they ended being right next to one another.

The room was super clean and looked very up to day.

Returned from the concert to meet another very nice staff member who quickly got us extra towels and rags we requested.

Got upstairs to our room and realized we were getting hungry. Given it was now 1am and the baby was asleep, we opted for hotel cooked food. Staff claimed it would be ready in about 15-20 minutes, but it took about an hour before we got the food. It was very good food however, especially when it comes to hotel food AND it was only $8-$10 per meal, so very reasonable. I highly reccomend the spinach flat bread and chocolate chip cookies!

The breakfast the next morning was amazing with fresh fruit, cottage cheese, and yogurt. Eggs, sausage, and oatmeal was also available as well as tons of more stuff.

We met the cook before we left and she played with the baby like he was her own.

I've never met a nicer or well dressed hotel staff. You feel like you're at an upscale hotel for a 2 star price.

WILL DEFINITELY STAY AT HYATT PLACE hotels from now on.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Julie M, Manager at Hyatt Place Birmingham/Hoover, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for the great review and we hope to see you again.

AGM
Hyatt Place Hoover
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoover
Holiday Inn Birmingham-Hoover
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham-Hoover-Galleria
Hyatt Regency Birmingham - The Wynfrey Hotel
Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham-Hoover
Residence Inn Birmingham Hoover
Homewood Suites by Hilton Birmingham-SW-Riverchase-Galleria

Been to Hyatt Place Birmingham/Hoover? Share your experiences!