“Not bad, but........” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Hoover
Conway, Arkansas
“Not bad, but........”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We spent two nights, while attending an Alabama football game. The hotel has a good location, with a lot of restaurants and shopping nearby. The room was comfortable, but the bathroom could have been a lot cleaner. I got up early, after our first night and went to get a cup of coffee. The hotel information folder says there is free coffee available, at the front desk, 24/7. The desk attendant was very nice and got a cup for me and charged me $1.75. Later, I got another cup and paid $2.29. Yes, both cups said they were from Starbucks, but the hotel information says the coffee is free! The hotel should delivers as promised or change its information. Don't waste your money eating breakfast, in the Bistro. Go somewhere else; get better food; and pay less.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TankerSam
Edwin B, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Hoover, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear Courtyard Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to respond regarding your recent stay at Courtyard by Marriott Hoover, Alabama. We value your comments and are striving to eliminate any negatives that guests encounter during their stay to make future guest experiences more pleasurable and stress free.
I certainly apologize for the mis-information found in your room directory regarding complimentary coffee in the lobby. We still offer complimentary coffee in each guest room and provide a single cup brewer with unlimited supply of coffee upon request. We proudly serve Starbucks coffee at our Bistro and since our renovation have opted to only sell coffee in the lobby.
Again I am sorry for this inconvenience and the mis-information regarding this matter.
We do hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve any future lodging needs in the Birmingham/Hoover area.
Regards,
E. Baxter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Pensacola, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

First, let's get to the good. It's convenient, safe, and clean. It has the basics covered. My bed was very comfortable, the TV was new and big, and the location was quiet. Plus, there's a Jim and Nick's BBQ next door, which is delicious.

Now, the bad. The hotel layout is odd. It's not easy to get from the rooms to the front desk. Parking seemed to be tight as well.

Attention to detail is missing here. When I got to my room, as I was putting away my shave kit, I noticed the hotel shampoo is Paul Mitchell. Nice touch. However, by leaving me two conditioners and no shampoo, they suggested I need some extra hair therapy. A visit to the front desk fetched me some shampoo.

As I was preparing for my day, I found the ironing board was missing. There was an iron, just no board. A call to the front desk had one delivered. Unfortunately, the iron was a piece of crap and leaked all over my clothes. Fail.

The phone by the bed did not work. Luckily, there was one on the desk that was in working order (so I could call for that ironing board.)

When I returned to the hotel the next night, my room keys would not work. Another visit to the front desk to get them fixed. However, to note I have a BIG concern here: I just told the clerk I was in room 2xx and she just made me new cards without question. She didn't ask my name or for ID. Big red flag here.

Overall, it's not a bad place. I just expect more as a business traveler and this place marketed as a Courtyard just misses the mark.

1 Thank Terry G
Edwin B, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Hoover, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:
Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay at Hoover Courtyard. I certainly apologize for the many items that you listed that need immediate attention. We are currently adding an additional inspector to our housekeeping staff to be able to thoroughly inspect each guest room before the guest enters. We are training each week using our actual guest comments to improve our service and product. It is our intent that all our guests experience a wonderful stay, free from stress, and that we provide everything we promise and more. We truly dropped the ball when it came to your room and your stay. Again I apologize for not providing the kind of service you deserve. Please give us another opportunity to prove that we do care and that we are constantly improving our service and amenities.
New Market, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

I came with a group from work and when we arrived there was some confusion over the company paying for the rooms and us having to provide a credit card. Jimmy was fantastic! It was late in the evening and most of us just finished driving no less than two hours in and he fixed everything so that we were able to get into our rooms and get some rest before our early morning meeting. The next evening he continued his excellent service to help all of us prepare for our meetings and getting our reports together.

Dear Courtyard Hoover Guest:
Thank you very much for your kind words of praise for Jimmie. We certainly appreciate you being our guest and knowing that you enjoyed your stay and encountered the best service possible, simply adds to our team's desire to please our guests and keep them coming back.
We read your comments in our morning staff stand-up gathering with all our staff giving Jimmie a round of applause.
Thank you for your kind recognition when service is delivered flawlessly by hotel staff.
We hope you will return soon.

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

I have been a Marriott Elite Member for over 15 years and while the front-desk staff was very friendly, I ended up checking out after one night - something I have never done at any Marriott property in all of my years. I checked into the hotel and noticed right away my room was not very clean - sink vanity was dirty, toilet had urine on rim, and hairpin on floor. It was late and didn't want to have to move to another room. Then when I prepared to go to sleep, noticed that the fitted sheet was threadbare, elasitc was non existent, and pad underneath was a queen size for a king bed. Too tired to deal with I went to bed - and all through the night and by morning the fitted sheet was barely on the bed and all bunched up. On my way out for the day I stopped by front desk and advised all above. They offered a new room and declined just asking that the room be cleaned and fresh linens on bed. I returned at the end of the day and linens were changed but same threadbare sheets, one pillow appeared yellow - it turned out the pillowcase was white, but the pillow inside was a bright, and I might add disgusting, yellow!. Vanity was not cleaned and still urine on toilet......time to check out!

Room Tip: Not at this hote!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DDATL333
Edwin B, Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Hoover, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
10/17/2013
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your candid remarks regarding your recent stay at Courtyard Hoover. I certainly apologize for the lack of housekeeping offered during your stay. To address the issue of the sheets, I am personally inspecting a large percentage of clean and ready rooms in addition to my housekeeping supervisor. We have purchased additional linen and eliminated any that look thread bare. We continue to train our staff as turnover has been an issue. We teach the room attendants to look for areas that appear worn and to discard those sheets. Our service recovery was not what we want and I also apologize for the lack of follow-thru with your request. Please give us another opportunity to prove we do care and are addressing your issues.
Thank you again for your comments.
Regards, Edwin B GM
Cypress, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

The Courtyard Hoover location provides good value in a comfortable setting / comfortable rooms close by the Riverchase Galleria / I-459 / many Hoover office parks.

The hotel is laid out in a true "courtyard" fashion and is accordingly rather spread out, meaning some rooms / amenities may be a far distance from each other. However, there was good signage in the hotel's hallways (not something I have learned to take for granted).

The rooms appeared recently updated, and had plenty of outlets for electronic device recharging, a good work desk, plenty of lighting, a refrigerator and comfortable beds. The room was sufficiently quiet, although my room faced a rear parking lot, not Highway 31 (Montgomery Hwy), so may not be a real test of road noise. The only "negative" I would have about the room is that the furnishings and toiletries both seemed a bit spartan. Obviously, a small concern, and not a deal breaker.

First time guests of the hotel may easily pass by the hotel on Highway 31 as by time you see the "Courtyard" sign it is difficult to cut over to the right turn lane to enter the front entrance / parking lot. Fortunately, at the next traffic light, there is also a rear entrance. However, if you enter at the rear entrance (by the traffic light), do drive all the way to the front to check in.

The lobby has been nicely updated. I did find the volume on the TVs a bit high for my liking when I checked in. When I checked in, I confirmed breakfast was not complimentary, even for Marriott Gold Elite members such as myself, and accordingly had breakfast at a nearby Panera Bread. However, the hotel does have a nicely laid out / set up Bistro concept restaurant in the lobby. Looks as if I could have gotten the same food as I purchased at Panera for a similar price. I am not a fan of restaurant breakfast service that is not self service, as I think it tends to be over-priced / takes too long, however the Bistro concept seems to address some of my concerns. I would likely try it the next time I am at a Courtyard.

The hotel maintenance seemed just a bit short of expectations and this is why I have given the hotel a four rating, not a five. There was a large garbage dumpster to the highway side of the front entrance, with an odor noticeable to anyone walking by the dumpster. Additionally, one of the doors to the parking lot from the hotel hallways was not in working order (obviously the one closest to my room). Neither is major but not what you would hope to find at a top-notch lodging experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Courtyard Hoover Guest:
Your kind words are music to the ears of our staff who honestly desires feedback from our guests so that they can improve the service that they already are providing.
We thank you for being our guest and want to let you know that we are improving our maintenance on each guest room and have initiated an additional person in that department to address any and all issues found in guest rooms or throughout the property.
Again, thank you for your kind words after your visit. We hope that you will return soon.
Brandon, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Nothing but good things to say about the hotel and staff. Jimmie and the GM at the front desk were very accomatdting even though I booked this room through Priceline.com. When I booked the room I thought it was just going to be me and my wife, well our babysitter feel through and we had to bring our three girls. We needed a bigger room and would have been happy to pay for the upgrade, but Priceline would not change my reservation and the hotels hands were tied. Plus when you call Priceline you will be lucky to get someone that speaks English!! I will never book through Priceline again,but I will most defiantly stay at the this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

This motor hotel is in a nice part of Birmingham, in Hoover, near the Galleria. The views from the windows are attractive whether you face outside or the inside courtyard. To us, the building and grounds looked new, but some other reviews claim the building is dated. Maybe it has been refurbished. There was only one elevator on our side of the building, towards the rear, and so it was a long walk to our room unless we wanted to carry our bags up stairs near our room. We did not mind this, but as we were walking down a long, colorfully colored and cheerful hall carpet (at about 9 p.m.) with our suitcases in tow, we noticed dirty dishes on the floor outside one door, a used toothpick nearby, and--worst of all--a large, outoor, partially squshed, cockroach in the middle of the hall outside room 222. We reported this to the woman at the front desk with the suggestion that they send housekeeping to dispose of the roach. The receptionist said that she would put it on the list so that it would be cleaned up in the morning! So one-night guests got to enjoy the roach for their entire stay. That night someone picked up the dirty dishes. Early the next morning, housekeeping staff cleaned up the hall entirely. So I suppose that this Courtyard does not have a night housekeeping staff to attend to such things as cleaning up a mess in the hall (or a roach). We did not care too much for the dining area, which was just some tables in the open reception area, with a service counter from which to place an order. However, at least food was served late into the evening. The receptionist, although polite and friendly, was not very helpful in suggesting nearby restaurants. We found a very good one (J Alexander) on our own near the nearby Galleria. Our room itself (and the entire establishment except for the hallway) was very clean and new-looking.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoover
Holiday Inn Birmingham-Hoover
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham-Hoover-Galleria
Hyatt Place Birmingham/Hoover
Hyatt Regency Birmingham - The Wynfrey Hotel
Homewood Suites by Hilton Birmingham-SW-Riverchase-Galleria
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Hoover/Birmingham

Been to Courtyard Birmingham Hoover? Share your experiences!