“Good value, comfortable lodging” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Birmingham Hoover

Courtyard Birmingham Hoover
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Hoover
Cypress, Texas
“Good value, comfortable lodging”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

The Courtyard Hoover location provides good value in a comfortable setting / comfortable rooms close by the Riverchase Galleria / I-459 / many Hoover office parks.

The hotel is laid out in a true "courtyard" fashion and is accordingly rather spread out, meaning some rooms / amenities may be a far distance from each other. However, there was good signage in the hotel's hallways (not something I have learned to take for granted).

The rooms appeared recently updated, and had plenty of outlets for electronic device recharging, a good work desk, plenty of lighting, a refrigerator and comfortable beds. The room was sufficiently quiet, although my room faced a rear parking lot, not Highway 31 (Montgomery Hwy), so may not be a real test of road noise. The only "negative" I would have about the room is that the furnishings and toiletries both seemed a bit spartan. Obviously, a small concern, and not a deal breaker.

First time guests of the hotel may easily pass by the hotel on Highway 31 as by time you see the "Courtyard" sign it is difficult to cut over to the right turn lane to enter the front entrance / parking lot. Fortunately, at the next traffic light, there is also a rear entrance. However, if you enter at the rear entrance (by the traffic light), do drive all the way to the front to check in.

The lobby has been nicely updated. I did find the volume on the TVs a bit high for my liking when I checked in. When I checked in, I confirmed breakfast was not complimentary, even for Marriott Gold Elite members such as myself, and accordingly had breakfast at a nearby Panera Bread. However, the hotel does have a nicely laid out / set up Bistro concept restaurant in the lobby. Looks as if I could have gotten the same food as I purchased at Panera for a similar price. I am not a fan of restaurant breakfast service that is not self service, as I think it tends to be over-priced / takes too long, however the Bistro concept seems to address some of my concerns. I would likely try it the next time I am at a Courtyard.

The hotel maintenance seemed just a bit short of expectations and this is why I have given the hotel a four rating, not a five. There was a large garbage dumpster to the highway side of the front entrance, with an odor noticeable to anyone walking by the dumpster. Additionally, one of the doors to the parking lot from the hotel hallways was not in working order (obviously the one closest to my room). Neither is major but not what you would hope to find at a top-notch lodging experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Edwin B, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Hoover, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Courtyard Hoover Guest:
Your kind words are music to the ears of our staff who honestly desires feedback from our guests so that they can improve the service that they already are providing.
We thank you for being our guest and want to let you know that we are improving our maintenance on each guest room and have initiated an additional person in that department to address any and all issues found in guest rooms or throughout the property.
Again, thank you for your kind words after your visit. We hope that you will return soon.
Regards:
Edwin B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Brandon, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Nothing but good things to say about the hotel and staff. Jimmie and the GM at the front desk were very accomatdting even though I booked this room through Priceline.com. When I booked the room I thought it was just going to be me and my wife, well our babysitter feel through and we had to bring our three girls. We needed a bigger room and would have been happy to pay for the upgrade, but Priceline would not change my reservation and the hotels hands were tied. Plus when you call Priceline you will be lucky to get someone that speaks English!! I will never book through Priceline again,but I will most defiantly stay at the this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

This motor hotel is in a nice part of Birmingham, in Hoover, near the Galleria. The views from the windows are attractive whether you face outside or the inside courtyard. To us, the building and grounds looked new, but some other reviews claim the building is dated. Maybe it has been refurbished. There was only one elevator on our side of the building, towards the rear, and so it was a long walk to our room unless we wanted to carry our bags up stairs near our room. We did not mind this, but as we were walking down a long, colorfully colored and cheerful hall carpet (at about 9 p.m.) with our suitcases in tow, we noticed dirty dishes on the floor outside one door, a used toothpick nearby, and--worst of all--a large, outoor, partially squshed, cockroach in the middle of the hall outside room 222. We reported this to the woman at the front desk with the suggestion that they send housekeeping to dispose of the roach. The receptionist said that she would put it on the list so that it would be cleaned up in the morning! So one-night guests got to enjoy the roach for their entire stay. That night someone picked up the dirty dishes. Early the next morning, housekeeping staff cleaned up the hall entirely. So I suppose that this Courtyard does not have a night housekeeping staff to attend to such things as cleaning up a mess in the hall (or a roach). We did not care too much for the dining area, which was just some tables in the open reception area, with a service counter from which to place an order. However, at least food was served late into the evening. The receptionist, although polite and friendly, was not very helpful in suggesting nearby restaurants. We found a very good one (J Alexander) on our own near the nearby Galleria. Our room itself (and the entire establishment except for the hallway) was very clean and new-looking.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Summit
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

The motel was nice and clean, but we had problems with the toilet in our room. The first night, someone had to come plunge it 3 times...the second night, when maintaince came to plunge it at 1am in the morning, he decided to flush before plunging and it flooded the bathroom. we had to carry a sleeping 19 month old across the entire motel to another room at 1:30am. Another problem, we booked using priceline.com, and when we got there, the motel took an extra $40 out of our account without our knowledge. We had put just enough in our account to cover the cost of the room and was using cash on our trip. so that caused us to aquire NSF charges. No where on priceline did it say more would be taken out, nor did the front desk inform us that they were. Needless to say, this was a disaster trip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rachel N
Fort Myers, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

this courtyard is very typical in most respects but they need to get their housekeeping in order.
If you dont leave your room by noon, dont expect to have your room cleaned. when i went to take a shower, i noticed their was sand laying in the tub and a gel substance smeared along the side. it obviously wasnt cleaned from the prior guest. this led me to wonder how well the rest of the room was cleaned?
It summary, it tainted the rest of my stay. all other aspects of the property were satisfactory with the pleasant personality of front desk and bistro help particularly above average.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank gerry h
Starke, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

Well maintained property with a friendly, helpful staff. Recently renovated fitness room and spacious lobby. Convenient to the interstate for a short drive to the downtown Birmingham area with shopping and dining close by. Courtyards are fairly consistent with the difference here being the staff. From the front desk, to the general manager, all employees here are helpful and make you feel welcome.

Stayed May 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stay at Courtyards frequently so know what to expect, but was a terrible experience.

First the Pros. The Courtyard is nicely landscaped, above average. The rooms were attractive.

Now the cons. The front desk staff was far less friendly than at most Courtyards. Not surly, just bored. When we entered our room i could smell the prior guest but turning on the fan helped, but it just didn't feel clean. When we went to the Lobby for dinner, no hamburgers, no pizza. The only replacement, a roasted 1/2 chicken that was pretty good but the fries were terrible. The wait, over 45 minutes, and other guests waited even longer for their meals. Finally back in the room we climbed in bed which seemed very lumpy. We pulled back the sheets and there was a queen sized mattress cover on the king sized bed. It wouldn't stay in place and neither would the sheets. We slept on lumps.

All I wanted was a little down time and a good night's sleep on a long and stressful business trip. This Courtyard just didn't deliver.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank barinr
Edwin B, Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Hoover, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
6/27/2013
Dear Courtyard Guest:
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding the Hoover, Al Marriott Courtyard during your June visit.
I certainly apologize for your less than excellent stay and the problems that you encountered.
We are experiencing turnover in our staff and are spending a great deal of time with our newly hired associates to insure they deliver our same degree of service excellence that you have come to expect from Marriott. As General Manager, I take responsibility for the mistakes we made in your room bedding and items unavailable at our Bistro during dinner. Please give us another opportunity to serve your lodging needs and to prove we do care and continue to improve our service daily. Thank you again for your candid remarks. Edwin B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoover
Holiday Inn Birmingham-Hoover
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham-Hoover-Galleria
Hyatt Place Birmingham/Hoover
Hyatt Regency Birmingham - The Wynfrey Hotel
Homewood Suites by Hilton Birmingham-SW-Riverchase-Galleria
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Hoover/Birmingham

Been to Courtyard Birmingham Hoover? Share your experiences!