“Pleasant stay, would choose again.”

Courtyard Birmingham Hoover
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Hoover
Reviewed June 6, 2012

My wife and I were in town for a short weekend escape to do some SCUBA diving down the road in Pelham and needed somewhere to stay. We are both clean freaks so we are picky about hotels. We got a great deal bidding online to stay here and when we arrived we were given a room quickly and checked in without issue. The front desk clerk was friendly and gave us the quickest route to the room. The room was clean and smelled fresh, it was furnished well and we had a very pleasant stay. I don't quite understand all the negative comments on here, because our experience was just fine. It's not a top of the line resort hotel, but if you just want a clean and quiet place to lay down for an evening then it's just fine. Also it's a stone's throw from a very large shopping mall, grocery stores and some nice restaurants. All in all, we'd stay here again if we were in town. The only downside I really noticed was that the cleaning staff spent a lot of time complaining loudly in the hallways about their jobs. We felt like this wasn't very professional but it wasn't anything worth getting outraged over.

Room Tip: Stay in the upper floors
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 23, 2012 via mobile

I found "yellow cleaning fluid" (according to the manager), on the toilet seat when I checked in around 11 pm, and it took around 40 minutes to get someone to clean it off so we could use the barroom and get to sleep. Wouldn't have posted this if management had been cool about it and comped the room, or simple been prompt in correcting the problem....

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Needadeal
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I read the other reviews so I had an idea of what to expect but went ahead with reserving 2 rooms. We were spending the night in town to go to a Barons baseball game and wouldn't arrive until almost game time and would return late so it was pretty much just a place to sleep. I used a free night certificate for one and paid for the other. Requested that the rooms were either connecting or next door to one another, as my son & his friend would be staying in one of them. When we arrived we were told that wasn't possible...I wasn't really surprised. The check in process took forever and thou the lady at the desk seemed...efficient...? she certainly wasn't friendly. When my husband and I returned to the car, the kids told us that 9...yes NINE adults were sitting in a car in the parking lot "smoking from pipes" with all of the windows up. Judging from 3 or 4 of the guests I saw while in the lobby, I wasn't really surprised by that either. Btw, this was @ 4:30 in the afternoon and the windows weren't tinted. We took the stairs to the second floor, I made the mistake of carrying a fairly heavy bag so I held onto the handrail which felt like it had not been wiped down in....well, NEVER! My husband and I had a 1 bedroom suite with a balcony facing the pool. the room looked dated but "ok". The balcony had years of dirt ground into the floor and walls which made it rather unpleasant. The bathroom was TINY and though the important parts (toilet, tub and floor) seemed clean, the back of the door and the walls were filthy! There were several lights in the room but even with all of them turned on, it had that "cheap motel" yellowish lighting feel to it. My sons room, a double queen, was across the hall and it seemed brighter and had a somewhat cleaner feel to it. The funniest part was, the soap dishes were GLUED to the counter by the sink. NO! They were not MADE into them, they were GLUED! Perhaps because of the sort of guests we saw earlier? Not sure.
The grounds and pool area were nice enough. When we returned from the game, the boys had 30 minutes before the pool closed so they rushed down. There were 5 or 6 boys about their age, at the pool, totally unattended making a lot of noise. Perhaps that is why somebody came out 10 minutes before actual closing time and told them all to get out, mine included. My son looked everywhere for a towel, only dirty ones could be found. He asked me to throw him one down from the room, but since we were already short, I told him to just walk through the lobby dripping wet since nobody had bothered to replenish them. Terrible I know but...
Sooo, I would have to say, I WOULD NOT recommend this place. It wasn't TERRIBLE because we didn't spend much time there but, if we had been there under any other circumstances, there is no way I could have dealt with it.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Wanderlust724
Reviewed May 12, 2012

While the property appears nice and well-kept from the outside, this is definitely an older Courtyard Marriott. The room itself didn't appear very clean and seemed shabby. The hallways were also dark and dingy in appearance. This location, however, is fabulous next door to the Galleria Mall and interstate. Staff (especially the night staff) were friendly. I would recommend staying at a different Marriott property in the area.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank reviewer0101
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I stop here once a year traveling between Austin, TX and Hilton Head ISland, SC. It's about 850 miles from Austin so I'm looking for clean and quiet. The location is about 1/2 mile off the bi-pass around Birmingham traveling East on I20. It's set back off the local street so no road noise. There are about a half dozen restaurants within walking distance and they serve breakfast in the morning. The best part is the next morning I miss Birmingham rush hour and with the time chance I miss the Atlanta rush hour going East. Marriott's are generally good (in my opinion) but this is very consistent. Also, the staff is very pleasant. All in all, I highly recommend this as a stopping point in your travels.

Room Tip: I always ask for a high floor away from the front entrance and elevators.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Rooms in dire need of overhaul. Room smelled bad, bed smelled worse, and pillows more worse. Carpet turned my white socks brown. Do you get where I am coming from.

Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Matthew B
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Stayed here on 16 Mar 2012 room 145, because it was close to ball park and I could use Marriott points to comp room. I reserved online for a 3 PM check-in and checked box for extra towels. At check in desk clerk wanted my credit card. I told her it was a comp room and my card was on under my Marriott member number. Her reply was we still need to swipe a card for incentales. Rather than repeat that she already had the card information in her system I went to the car and got my card for her to swipe. She then asked if I had any preferences for my room. I just had to shake my head, as this information had already been provided under the online reservation. She only had to read. The beds in the room were worn out. I thought I would sink to the floor when I first sat on one. If visiting the area pass on this Courtyard and stay were employees are trained and were you can get a decent mattress for a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank PleasureTraveler67
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoover
Holiday Inn Birmingham-Hoover
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham-Hoover-Galleria
Hyatt Regency Birmingham - The Wynfrey Hotel
Residence Inn Birmingham Hoover
Hyatt Place Birmingham/Hoover
Candlewood Suites Birmingham - Hoover

Been to Courtyard Birmingham Hoover? Share your experiences!