All reviews an older property an update needs updating first floor comfortable beds riverchase galleria after a long day nice stay bistro jim birmingham montgomery interstate shopping florida
Reviewed May 23, 2012 via mobile

I found "yellow cleaning fluid" (according to the manager), on the toilet seat when I checked in around 11 pm, and it took around 40 minutes to get someone to clean it off so we could use the barroom and get to sleep. Wouldn't have posted this if management had been cool about it and comped the room, or simple been prompt in correcting the problem....

1  Thank Needadeal
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I read the other reviews so I had an idea of what to expect but went ahead with reserving 2 rooms. We were spending the night in town to go to a Barons baseball game and wouldn't arrive until almost game time and would return late so it was pretty much just a place to sleep. I used a free night certificate for one and paid for the other. Requested that the rooms were either connecting or next door to one another, as my son & his friend would be staying in one of them. When we arrived we were told that wasn't possible...I wasn't really surprised. The check in process took forever and thou the lady at the desk seemed...efficient...? she certainly wasn't friendly. When my husband and I returned to the car, the kids told us that 9...yes NINE adults were sitting in a car in the parking lot "smoking from pipes" with all of the windows up. Judging from 3 or 4 of the guests I saw while in the lobby, I wasn't really surprised by that either. Btw, this was @ 4:30 in the afternoon and the windows weren't tinted. We took the stairs to the second floor, I made the mistake of carrying a fairly heavy bag so I held onto the handrail which felt like it had not been wiped down in....well, NEVER! My husband and I had a 1 bedroom suite with a balcony facing the pool. the room looked dated but "ok". The balcony had years of dirt ground into the floor and walls which made it rather unpleasant. The bathroom was TINY and though the important parts (toilet, tub and floor) seemed clean, the back of the door and the walls were filthy! There were several lights in the room but even with all of them turned on, it had that "cheap motel" yellowish lighting feel to it. My sons room, a double queen, was across the hall and it seemed brighter and had a somewhat cleaner feel to it. The funniest part was, the soap dishes were GLUED to the counter by the sink. NO! They were not MADE into them, they were GLUED! Perhaps because of the sort of guests we saw earlier? Not sure.
The grounds and pool area were nice enough. When we returned from the game, the boys had 30 minutes before the pool closed so they rushed down. There were 5 or 6 boys about their age, at the pool, totally unattended making a lot of noise. Perhaps that is why somebody came out 10 minutes before actual closing time and told them all to get out, mine included. My son looked everywhere for a towel, only dirty ones could be found. He asked me to throw him one down from the room, but since we were already short, I told him to just walk through the lobby dripping wet since nobody had bothered to replenish them. Terrible I know but...
Sooo, I would have to say, I WOULD NOT recommend this place. It wasn't TERRIBLE because we didn't spend much time there but, if we had been there under any other circumstances, there is no way I could have dealt with it.

Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Wanderlust724
Reviewed May 12, 2012

While the property appears nice and well-kept from the outside, this is definitely an older Courtyard Marriott. The room itself didn't appear very clean and seemed shabby. The hallways were also dark and dingy in appearance. This location, however, is fabulous next door to the Galleria Mall and interstate. Staff (especially the night staff) were friendly. I would recommend staying at a different Marriott property in the area.

Date of stay: March 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank reviewer0101
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I stop here once a year traveling between Austin, TX and Hilton Head ISland, SC. It's about 850 miles from Austin so I'm looking for clean and quiet. The location is about 1/2 mile off the bi-pass around Birmingham traveling East on I20. It's set back off the local street so no road noise. There are about a half dozen restaurants within walking distance and they serve breakfast in the morning. The best part is the next morning I miss Birmingham rush hour and with the time chance I miss the Atlanta rush hour going East. Marriott's are generally good (in my opinion) but this is very consistent. Also, the staff is very pleasant. All in all, I highly recommend this as a stopping point in your travels.

Room tip: I always ask for a high floor away from the front entrance and elevators.
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Rooms in dire need of overhaul. Room smelled bad, bed smelled worse, and pillows more worse. Carpet turned my white socks brown. Do you get where I am coming from.

Date of stay: March 2012