“Love their fries and burgers”
Review of Five Guys

Five Guys
Ranked #77 of 166 Restaurants in Hoover
Cuisines: American
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We always go to this location. The service is always quick, and the food is delicious. My favorite burger joint close to home.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

This has to be the best burger place in Bham. The burgers are custom made to order. And the fries are cut fresh when you order. If you order fries be sure you have someone to share with.

Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

I love the burgers as a quick meal. Not really health for you but tastes great. I would eat it again

Reviewed November 6, 2012

This was my first time to eat at a Five Guys. I really enjoyed it, but found the atmosphere stark and uninviting. But no matter, the burger was wonderful. We got 2 kinds of fries, the regular and spicy (not sure of the exact name). Unfortunately, the spicy was WAY over the top, and nobody could eat them.

We loved the peanuts that you get free while you wait for your order. There's a sign, "No taking home peanuts, Please" but we ate our weight in them there! We enjoyed them as much as the "real" food!

Our table was upstairs. There's a drink refill machine upstairs, which helps you not to have to go downstairs for that. I wouldn't want to have to trudge up and down. Just go up and eat and be done.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

The Five Guys franchise has made it to the Birmingham, AL area and there's a lot of good things to say (good burgers, "kosher" hot dogs, free peanuts that you shell at your table, free refills on soft drinks and no charge for all of the fixins anyone could ever want on a burger), but there's one B-I-G letdown: the french fries are not crispy.

First, the burgers: tasty, good size, a very wide range of free add-ons (my favorite is smothered in grilled onions with just ketchup as the added flavor), made to order, no off-flavors from the grill, etc. They are cooked to the right level of "done," without ruining the flavor of the meat itself.

One concern, though: bacon is cooked on the grill, so if you're like me and don't touch any pork products, shellfish or catfish, you need to let them know. Tell them you are allergic to those things --- you'll see incredible attention paid to your allergies! They'll clean the grill area where they're cooking your burger, wash the utensils, etc.

I don't ever eat cheeseburgers, so I can't tell you anything about theirs, although I do see lots of customers ordering, and enjoying, them.

The shell-your-own-peanuts is a great enticement and provides an "appetizer" while you're waiting. In fact, you could just buy a soft drink (they have good tea and sweet tea, plus the usual fountain items) and munch on the peanuts if you only want a snack or are low on cash, I suppose.

There are a couple of tv's, so if there's a game on ESPN or a network, there's a good chance you'll be able to see it. They also have outdoor seating at this location, which is great, especially on summer evenings down here.

But there is one B-I-G negative: the french fries are soggy and never seem cooked quite right. I can't speak for anyone else, but I want my fries CRISP, hot (temperature) and with no seasoning on them. I want to taste the potato, not the oil/grease or any off-flavors contaminating it. At least at this location, they just don't know how to get them that way. I take all of the appropriate steps, telling them I want my fries extra-crispy but not burnt, and they still don't come out quite right.

There's really no excuse -- they make the fries (slice the potatoes) in house (you'll see the 50-pound bags on the floor as you enter the restaurant) from scratch. I don't know if they're not raising the oil's temperature high enough or simply not leaving them in long enough, but its the only real negative to this restaurant.

The hot dogs are "kosher" until they put them on the grill (the restaurant is not kosher or even kosher-style because they serve pork products and mix meat and dairy products), and are very good quality dogs.

Overall, a very good place, but it could be great if they'd get the fries "right."

Been to Five Guys? Share your experiences!