“Lunatic Cahiers will watch you and open the to go box to check if you put seafood in it!!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Chow Town Grill & Buffet
Ranked #120 of 171 Restaurants in Hoover
Cuisines: Chinese
Description: Just opened last week-end. Next to TJ Max & Home Goods American, Chinese, Sushi Bar.etc. Full choice buffet
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I had the most weird thing happened to me in this restaurant the other day when I Went there to grab something to eat! I asked the cashier how much they charge for the buffet in a to go box he said $ 4.25 per lb and $ 5.25 if you put seafood in the box!!! I asked him how would they know if there is any seafood he said they will open the box to check!! Imagine that you have to open your lunch box to the cashier to check it ( heck even TSA won't do that!!) and he said sorry, but it has to be done in this fasion!! Well things got more weird after that! So I took the box and picked what I wanted then went to the same cashier and asked him if he really wanted to open the box to check if there is any seafood and to my horror he said no need, I already saw you putting 5 pieces of shrimp in the box!!!!! I asked him how did he know that, he said he was walking around and saw me!!! Imagine undercover cashiers following their customers in the buffet area to check if they put seafood in their lunch boxes!!!! The guy's last sentence was that I shouldn't blame him because the seafood is expensive!! lol. I know I won't go back to that restaurant ever again. I been all over thre World and have eaten at chinese buffets all over, but never seen such lunatic and greedy chinese resturant's management like the ones at chow town. Very sad.

3  Thank jarosle m

Reviewed March 25, 2012

If you want a good selection of food go to Chow Town. I have never seen a Chinese buffet like Chow Town has. I have never been disapointed with anything on my plate. Very good service....good food....good prices !!

2  Thank Brenda55
Reviewed March 1, 2012

when it first opened I thought it was very good but after going back just recently the food wasn't as good and the staff can't communicate very well and some are even rude. I will not be going back. I really think it will lose a lot of customers if it doesn't improve.

5  Thank jan j
Reviewed January 8, 2012

There are dozens of items on Chow Town's buffets, even one with just sushi. The crab and shrimp platters are popular. Food is hot and some of it is quite tasty - the egg tarts, for example.
But there are shortcomings - some of the items, such as the steam table with Southern-style vegetables, are bland, and the desserts are for the most part, unimaginative.
It's kind of hard to justify a $13 dinner buffet that's just average.

3  Thank Missanne1959
Reviewed August 19, 2011

The crab legs tasted like rubber and the other items were just not that good. We never got refills on our drinks and I can't think of one dish I tried that I really liked. This was our first and last visit. We will stick with New China and Yummy China.

4  Thank bama08

Been to Chow Town Grill & Buffet? Share your experiences!