“Great”

Holiday Inn Birmingham-Hoover
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Hoover
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 18, 2012

One of the newer hotels in the area. We stayed in a clean nice king room/w tub n room. Sorry no free breakfast. But there are places near by. I do remember seeing a bar inside lobby.

• Stayed: June 2011
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Birmingham-Hoover

Reviewed January 24, 2012

I stayed at this property one night in late December. I must say that the front desk girl that checked me in (Amy) was very accommodating. She gave great customer service and was very professional and friendly. Ken was also nice and helpful. Overall the hotel was fine, especially being newer. There was ample parking and the common areas and lobby were clean. I loved the fact that they had a variety of tv channels as well. My complaint lies with housekeeping. This was just a one night stay over during a vacation trip from Fl. I wanted to try the hotel because it was new. I've stayed at the Hyatt Place down the street as well as the Residence Inn which are also nice. I'm very particular about two things 1. room location (top floor facing parking) 2. room cleanliness. With the usual check in the room was pre-assigned. I asked which way the room was facing and was informed it faced the back. I promptly asked for a room facing the front. I was told that they only had two queens available and she asked would that be a problem since I booked a king. I said no, that was fine since it was only me. I went out to get my luggage since I never check in with my bags due to experience of changing rooms and having to drag luggage back and forth. After bringing my bags up I find out that the room with the two queens only has a very small round table with a straight back chair and barely enough room to fit anything (especially a laptop). So I called back downstairs and asked for a room with a desk. Amy told me that the only rooms with a desk were the kings and she didn't have anymore on that side of the hotel. Fine, what about another floor I asked and she checked to see if anything was available. She then told me since I was a Platinum member she would upgrade me to the king suite with the jacuzzi (which I knew I wouldn't use) on the same floor. She also said she'd bring the keys up so I wouldn't have to come down. Again, I thanked her for being so accommodating. While standing there waiting on the key I looked around the room and went into the bathroom. I was shocked by the amount of very visible hair on the floor around the sink area and behind the toilet near the wall. These were hairs that were at least 6 inchs so they shouldn't have been missed by housekeeping and they weren't from the same person, some were dark and others lighter. I could see at least 10 or 15. I was disgusted and when Amy came up with the key I showed her the hair and she also commented about the amount and said she'd leave a note for the housekeeping supervisor. That was fine cause I was moving to another room down the hall.

I took my luggage in and looked around the new room (especially the bathroom) to make sure everything LOOKED clean then went out to the car to get a few things. Noticed a new woman at the desk on my way out. Went back up and decided to turn down the comforter because I had planned on going to get something to eat and catch a movie down the street to relax after a 5 hr drive. When I pulled the comforter back the sheets seemed a bit too rumpled in the middle for the bed to have been freshly made. Pulled the top sheet back and looked closely in the middle of the very wrinkled fitted sheet and saw several small brownish hairs about a half inch to two thirds of an inch long. Then I pulled the sheets all the way down to the end of the bed and saw several more near the foot. I was totally grossed out and disgusted. Someone had simply pulled the sheets up and spread up the bed without changing the sheets. I immediately went down to the front desk and asked the new girl for some clean sheets. When I approached her she threw a phony smile in my direction and dryly asked if she could help me. I asked her if I could get some clean sheets. She asked me "what room are you in and what kind of bed"? There was someone walking by from housekeeping and she stopped her and asked her to bring me up a flat and fitted sheet for a king bed. I would think she would have asked what the problem was especially when I had only checked in an hour before. When the housekeeping girl from the lobby brought the sheets up she didn't ask if there was a problem or if I needed help or wanted her to change the bed. She simply handed me the sheets and I asked "what about the sheets I'm taking off". She said "leave them in a pile outside your door and I'll come back within the hour and get them". Needless to say, I went out to the movies after stripping the bed and making it up and left the sheets outside the door on the floor. I came back about 3 hrs later and the sheets were still there on the floor. I ate my dinner and went out to my car about 11 PM and the sheets were still on the floor in a pile where I'd left them 5 or 6 hours earlier. The hotel may be new, but the way the housekeepers seem to be going about their duties (or lack thereof) people will choose to spend their money elsewhere. I stay in very nice hotels 3/4 of the year for work and they're usually Marriott properties (Platinum Premier Member) and I'm used to clean accommodations. I don't expect everything to be perfect, but dirty hairy sheets? I don't think so. I for one will not spend my money at this establishment or any other to lie in another person's filth because housekeeping is too lazy to take an extra 15 min to put new sheets on a bed. If they're not changing the sheets, what else aren't they doing in the rooms?

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank gabtur
Costel H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Hoover, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2012

Dear Guest :
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed description of the issue you encounter in our hotel. The details you offered allowed us to target and solve the issues to the point that we are confident ,you or any other guest will gave to encounter it again .
I have forwarded your kind words to Amy who seem to be very eager to rectify the problem.
I hope you will give us a second chance to prove you that the situation you encounter was not the standard in our hotel, but an isolated incident.
Please contact me personally for your next stay .We would love to show our appreciation for the time you spend describing the problem and for the valuable feed back .

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Beware of the strong suction of the tub drain of Jacuzzi tub. It put a 7 inch bruise on my leg and was very painful. A domed guard is needed to protect people from the drain. The mattress is hard, but the linens are lofty. The room was clean and new.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I stay in hotels all over the southeast and this one of the best. The rooms and common areas are alwas clean, there is a restaurant and bar down in the lobby so i dont have to work in the room all the time, the staff and managment go so far as to know me by name when I walk in the door. There is a large mall and a bunch great restaurants that are less than a mile away, I would recommend this hotel to everyone. In regards to other posts I've never smelled a bad odor so i am not sure what that is all about.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I have stayed at various Holiday Inn's in the country (most recently Kansas City) and have considered them to be just average. However, when I checked in last night, this hotel exceeded my expectations. The decor was warm and inviting, and the staff was very courteous and efficient. I was particularly impressed by how large the room was and the bed was very comfortable (I slept like a baby). The refrigerator and microwave were amenities that I did not expect and highly appreciated. I would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sandra M
Reviewed October 16, 2011

I was impressed with the staff, there were no odors, ice machines outside the elevators on every other floor, the pool is open, and I had no problems with billing. The hotel is very clean. The only complaint I had was no coffee in the lobby, although they did give me an extra setup for my room. I will stay there again!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Costel H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Hoover, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2011

Dear Kirk,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Holiday Inn Hoover on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all our guest feedback and continually strive to improve the services we offer based on your experiences. I will certainly forward your positive comments to our staff members as well. As a result of the feedback we received from guests such as you, we now offer free coffee in our lobby! I feel confident this will be enjoyed by many of our guests.
Once again, thank you for the positive comments and we invite you come back to see us.
Holiday Inn Hoover .

Reviewed October 8, 2011

This hotel looks very nice. It's new and stylish. The room is a bit cramped, but we're only here for one night, so we don't have much luggage.

When we got to our room tonight, there was a shower but no tub. (I don't have a tub at home, so I look forward to staying at a hotel so that I can have a soak in the morning to loosen up the morning kinks.) When I called the front desk to ask for a different room, I was told they were booked, and no other room was available, even though the lobby was deserted. We were not informed when we booked that we would get a room with only a shower.

We have no soap, shampoo or any toiletries in our bathroom, so they gave my daughter a little bottle of shampoo when she went down to ask for toiletries. Good thing I accidentally brought a bar of soap!

We will see how things go in the morning!

• Stayed: October 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking some time to post a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. We value and appreciate all guest feedback as we use it to improve the experiences for all who choose our hotel.
We do have a variety of choices for our rooms and, you are correct that some have bathtubs and other have walk in showers. We also offer jet tubs for our guest enjoyment and relaxation. I do apologize for the inconvenience of not being able to offer you that choice for your stay. Please accept our invitation to experience one of our Jacuzzi Tub rooms on your next stay.
I addressed your concern about room amenities with our Housekeeping staff and the proper measures are now in place to ensure 100% guest satisfaction.
Once again, thank you for using the Holiday Inn Hoover! Please feel free to contact me personally to arrange your next visit. I look forward to serving you!
Holiday Inn Hoover

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoover
Hyatt Place Birmingham/Hoover
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham-Hoover-Galleria
Residence Inn Birmingham Hoover
Hyatt Regency Birmingham - The Wynfrey Hotel
Homewood Suites by Hilton Birmingham-SW-Riverchase-Galleria
Courtyard Birmingham Hoover

Been to Holiday Inn Birmingham-Hoover? Share your experiences!