“Food good, market fun, noise awful” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nabeel's Cafe and Market

Nabeel's Cafe and Market
Ranked #14 of 78 Restaurants in Homewood
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
“Food good, market fun, noise awful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Had lunch there yesterday and started by ordering a soup, a Greek lemon chicken soup which was okay but not great. The gyro was good and the mint tea great. It was accompanied by fried pita chips which were bland. The food was above average but not great. The service was average, but shortly into the meal, two workers began a very loud banter over the bar which annoyed all of the diners. Management witnessed this, but did nothing to stop it. This detracted from the atmosphere and I wouldn't want to eat inside again. The food market was nicer and I got dessert there and took it with me. The final verdict is that it could have been better, but it is pretty good overall

Nashville
“Mediterranean in Birmingham. Who knew?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

I love independent restaurants. This is neighborhood treat not far off of I-65 for people blazing north or south through Birmingham. I was there on Good Friday and enjoyed a special Lenten salmon. I learned from cafe owner John Krontiras that another salmon preparation is offered on other Fridays and Saturdays. Our waitress was a treat and was quick to help with a couple of special requests.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TomInTennessee
Florence, Alabama
“Good experience !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

First time to visit Nabeel's, suggested to us by a friend who now lives in B'ham. Not disappointed. It was warm enough to eat outside on the patio, they had our favorite Greek beer (Mythos), which was a good start ! The Greek salad was very good, the gyro & fries were good, and the carrot cake was great....The owner, Mr. John Krontiras, came out and sat with us for a while, talking about one of my fav subjects....Greece ! We are already looking forward to our next visit to
Nabeel's !

• 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank udaman001
Hoover, Alabama
“OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

We expected more. Our service was very good and our waiter very attentive, we had higher expectations for the food after purchasing the restaurant's excellent cook book. Food was just average, nothing special nothing really bad. Our food could have been hotter in temp and the portions should be a little larger. The restaurant needs some TLC and a good dusting. We found the restaurant pretty slow on a Saturday night. Maybe this is a good lunch place.

2 Thank Haddon P
Birmingham AL
“Average food, indifferent owners”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

I have eaten at Nabeel's several times over the past 10 years. While there is nothing wrong with any of the dishes I have eaten, that changed this past visit. One of the members of our dining party chose Yemista , featured on the Lenten specials. It is a dish described as "two vine ripe tomatoes stuffed with rice, mint, Feta and mixed herbs over a bed of rice. We were warned about the flavor of mint present in the dish but, the overwhelming flavor/taste was garlic!

There was so much garlic flavor present, the dish was inedible. To our server's credit the offending dish was quickly replaced with a milder option. Usually the flavor of garlic is a enhancer to the food served, not a detractor. And most intriguing, no owner/manager came to the table to express his concerns about the incident and to offer apologies about what happened.

To me, that is a big red flag that my patronage is not valued and I would be best served eating elsewhere.

• 2 of 5 bubbles