“What a surprise!”
Review of Paw Paw Patch

Paw Paw Patch
Ranked #29 of 83 Restaurants in Homewood
Reviewed June 16, 2014

My mom picked this place on a recent trip to B'Ham. I have to admit, I was less than thrilled just by the name. As we walked in we saw lots of seniors and I thought, "Oh great...this food will be bland." I couldn't have been more wrong! I had the meatloaf and mom had the fried chicken. I'm not lying when I say it was the best Southern food I've ever had! As much as I LOVED the meatloaf, I could have snatched the fried chicken off her plate after she gave me a taste. The staff was SUPER friendly with lots of smiles and laughter! I live about 3 hours away from this place and would seriously drive back just to eat here!

2  Thank Fun4Us2

Reviewed June 14, 2014

I get tired of eating at the chain restaurants when we travel, and much prefer finding local places. My daughter and I searched for just such a place on a recent trip to Birmingham, and the name 'Paw Paw Patch' sounded interesting. Expecting maybe a small diner, we were surprised when, well after the normal lunch hour, we pulled into this parking lot FULL of cars! We figured this must be a good place. We were right! The food is served cafeteria style, with lots of choices, and prices posted behind the serving line. The servers were really friendly, and we didn't feel rushed while we tried to decide which of the delicious-looking foods to try. Once we decided, and took our trays to a table, we had a server who made sure our glasses were filled throughout the meal...and what a meal! I had fried chicken with some sides, and my daughter decided on the meat loaf with some sides. I've never--seriously, never--had such good fried chicken, and my daughter couldn't get over how good the meat loaf was. All of the sides we'd chosen (mashed potatoes, broccoli and cheese, greens, cole slaw) were delicious! Our ONLY 'complaint' was that we were leaving town and wouldn't be able to come back and eat here again!

3  Thank Vickie L
Reviewed March 5, 2014

My wife and I have been roaming Shelby County around Pelham, Alabaster, and Hoover looking for an old fashioned - and good - meat & three restaurant. Our favorite is Niki's West but it's a long stretch to north Jefferson County. The Ranch House in Vestavia Hills is very good, also.

The Paw Paw Patch has been in Homewood for a generation, yet we never tried it before; today, we are hooked. Old fashioned, quick service; multiple meat and overflowing southern-style veggies; complete with the complementary relish and sweet onion tray; yeast rolls, regular and Mexican cornbread - all good.

Bright, airy atmosphere, great staff, and just good food. We will be back soon. HINT: Be there by 11:30 AM or you will be circling the lot for a while to park.

3  Thank Karl V
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Birmingham has unfortunately lost many of the great meat-and-three restaurants that populated the city on almost every street corner. Paw Paw Patch is one of the few left standing. It has survived for good reason. The food is fresh, well-seasoned and downright delicious. The food handlers are friendly and the line moves swiftly. The atmosphere makes you feel like you're at, well, a meat-and-three...It's a great Birmingham landmark restaurant.

2  Thank Rammer13
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My meal here was a business lunch with a client who suggested the place. At 1PM local time the parking lot was packed and very few tables were free. The service is cafeteria style with drink orders taken once seated. The vegetables and entrée items are attractively displayed as are tempting desserts. My tilapia baked in a lemon sauce was delicate and fresh and the Brussels sprouts and turnip greens just perfect. My client enjoyed grilled chicken with other vegetables. The atmosphere is busy but you can talk business without being overheard or the background noise too loud. The restaurant is not pretentious and is a good example of the genre.

1  Thank James C