“Bad Managment”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Homewood
Meredith, New Hampshire
“Bad Managment”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Booked a 2 bed room in march. After I checked in I found out they had given me a king size handicap room. They told me hotel was full and blamed Expedia for mix up. My niece called the hotel direct and the exact same thing happened to her. I tried sending Holiday Inn a email but I guess you have to be a club member. I won't be staying a any of there hotels in the future.

Room Tip: The desk in the handicap room was up against the air conditioner which made it impossible to sit and...
Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Hotel Birmingham/Homewood, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear FStetson,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Pam G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I work in customer service all day long and when I encounter bad customer service I point it out.

The front desk staff at this hotel working in the evening and night shifts are extremely unprofessional with bad attitude. The maid staff is perhaps a step above but not much better. The front desk staff was surly, argumentative and unprofessional in appearance and manner. The maid staff simply appeared lazy and unconcerned that the room be cleaned by a certain time as requested.

The hotel just has a total lack of control of details. There seems to be no one in charge or taking charge here.

The hotel itself is quite nice, modern and clean but the personnel working in the hotel bring it way down.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel Birmingham/Homewood, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear phk123,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. I appreciate the compliments about our nice, modern and clean hotel. We are always happy to provide a consistently clean, comfortable and courteous place for our guests. Kindly accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced with our staff. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class customer service and it is my regret that we failed to deliver an exemplary performance in this context.

The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into.

Lera M
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Homewood hotels

Neosho, Missouri
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Arrived after 10 p.m. - didn't get the room we had reserved, so my child had to end up sleeping on the floor! To make up for it though, the hotel gave us all free breakfast at the hotel restaurant the next morning. Food was delicious! Service was great! Rooms were very clean.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rebd72
Atlanta
Reviewed April 25, 2012

It would've been nice if the front desk would have let me know that construction was going on in the hotel (4/25/12). I almost always stay here when I come to Birmingham. My stay is usually for leisure but this time it's for business and I can't concentrate because of all hammer banging and the noisy A/C unit in the room. I checked in around 3:45 pm and 2 hours later the banging continues. If I would have known that construction was going on, I would have stayed at the Hoover location which is much nicer and they offer free breakfast there. I always check out the room when I arrive. In the bathroom housekeeping left used soap and shampoo in the shower........GROSS!!! Then I let down the toilet and it had strands of hair on the seat. Now, I'm red hot!! Thank goodness there's a Walmart across the street. I went over to buy cleaning supplies to clean the toilet. Truly disappointed!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Trenton, Ontario
Reviewed March 17, 2012

In the past I have always associated the name Holiday Inn with a decent hotel experience. This Holiday Inn needed a refurbishing badly. the mattresses were worn out, the carpeting in the rooms was worn, the maid service was sporadic (coffee was not replaced, we were asked if we wanted our room tidied by the maid .. in other words, make your own beds and make do with whatever was left over from the previous day regards towels, soap, shampoo, etc.). The dining room service was bad (breakfast food OK though). Cutlery came after the food was served. No butter for the toast.
What was good? TV worked OK. Elevators ran OK.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Al P
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel Birmingham/Homewood, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Al P,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Homewood.

Ben J
IHG Care
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed March 15, 2012

this hotel looks good on the outside but it has some problems. First of all, we had rented two rooms and the clerk told me the room numbers were 320 and 334. The cards even had those numberw written down on them. After three times all the way up and down the hallway we concluded that there wasn't a room 334. When I went back down to the lobby the clerk said "oh, my mistake it is 324, we don't even have a 334. Once that was straightened out and I got to room 324, my key card did not work. I returned to the lobby for a second time and got new key cards and went back to the room. You guessed it the key cards didn't work again. So finally after the third trip to the lobby I was able to enter the room. Once inside the carpet was shredded horribly in more than one place. Also the finish around the plugs ins was frayed and there was a weird smell in the room. Later that evening after returning from dinner I searched for the ice machine and after another trip to the lobby the clerk said "oh myou must be on the 3rd floor, there is no ice machine on the third floor." I mentioned it would be nice to let guests know that they would need to go to another floor for ice. Also there was a terrible smell that met us as we reentered the floor from the elevator. Speaking of elevators there were two but only one was working for some reason which was not explained to anyone. The beds wre comfortable and the sheets were clean, the televisions worked well and the shower was sufficient. It is a beautiful hotel on the outside but there is lots of work that needs to be done.

Room Tip: ADjoining rooms are larger than non adjoining rooms.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank utmsu2000
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel Birmingham/Homewood, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Dear utmsu2000,

Thank you for the feedback. We strive to make sure every
guest has a wonderful experience here and greatly appreciate the feedback if they don't.
I sincerely apologize for the problems you encountered with the key cards.

Katie J
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed February 27, 2012

This was the least expensive of the several hotels located in a row in this area of Birmingham. After staying there, I can see why. Being a resident of Memphis, TN, home of Holiday Inn, this property did NOT meet my expectations for a Holiday Inn Franchisee.

Things started off well. My wife and I were going to Birmingham for the Jimmy Buffett concert, and her Mother had met us at the hotel from West Georgia. We had booked a King room for us and had booked a double Queen for her mother and our two girls, aged 4 1/2 and 10 months, to stay in. They were able to give us adjoining rooms, which was great. However, this meant that our King room was a Handicapped room. This did not appear to be a problem, as the hotel appeared to be FAR from full. I called the hotel about 4 days prior to arrival to confirm the reservation and the special requests I had made (crib in the room and extra pillows). The young woman at the front desk when we checked in on 2/25/12 was very friendly. We requested late check-out on Sunday, and she said that was no problem, that we could check out as late as 2 PM. Our plan was to spend the morning swimming in the pool and visiting with Grandma, so this would be perfect... or so we thought. We loved the layout of the hotel, and the decorating was very nice. Comfortable, modern, and nice-looking.

When we got to the rooms, all appeared to be fine. Again, the decorating was very nice, the equipment all appeared to be in good working order, etc. However, after our 10 month old had been walking and crawling on the carpet for just a little while, her clean pink socks were very dirty brown, as were the knees of her pants. Ewww.... the rest of us wore our flip-flops in the room for most of the rest of the stay, and didn't let her crawl on the carpet as much after that. Also, the extra pillows that I had requested for our room were not there. Speaking of which... instead of even standard size pillows, let alone King pillows, as I would have expected, the pillows on the beds were about half the width of a standard size pillow!?!?! This may be very "fashionable" and looked good to the designers, but they ended up being VERY uncomfortable for sleeping! "Funky", my wife said. So, anyway, I called down to the front desk, and asked for "some extra firm pillows", as there were two soft and two firm half-size pillows on the bed. There was silence on the line. I realized I may have been unclear, so i said "What I mean is, that I had requested extra pillows, and I need additional FIRM pillows, not soft pillows. Finally I got a response of "OK" and that was the end of the conversation... not "Yes sir, we'll send them right up. Sorry about that." as I would have expected. It then took at LEAST 2 hours for the pillows to show up. I don't know exactly how long, since by then my wife and I had left for the concert.

While we were at the concert, her mother took the girls downstairs to "Kem's Restaurant" (in the building) for dinner. She said the food was good, not spectacular, especially for the price (which seemed high), and she said the service was "excruciatingly slow". She said it appeared that there was only the one server, and she struggled to keep up with the number of patrons. One of our reasons for booking this particular hotel was that they had an indoor pool. After dinner, she took the girls down to the pool to swim, only to find that it was, in her words, "FREEZING", and the surface of the water was covered in hair and what looked like an oil sheen. She refused to let our daughters get in the water, and alerted the front desk clerk. She was told "Yeah, the pool isn't heated." This is something that should be made VERY CLEAR on the hotel's website. An indoor pool in February that is not heated, is NOT going to be swimmable for most people, especially not children. Honestly, I would not even have considered this hotel for this trip if I had known that.

The next morning when we got up and went down to breakfast at "Kem's", (we decided to give it a second chance) again the service was very slow, but again, there was only one server, and she was hustling to keep up with the number of patrons in the restaurant. She was very friendly and obviously working hard. I don't fault her. However, some of the silverware packets had two forks and a knife, others had a fork, spoon, and knife. The spoon in my packet was filthy, and there was no container of sweeteners or salt & pepper shakers on the table. The coffee was lukewarm at best, not hot as we expected. The food portions were decent, but the food was realy rather bland and tasteless, and overpriced. $2.69 for a glass of orange juice?? Really? At least the kids' meals were free.

After breakfast, we went to look at the pool, after hearing Grandma's description from the night before. When I got to the pool, it was obvious that nothing had been done to address our concern from the night before. The water was VERY cold, and in the shallow end there were MULTIPLE globs of hair and oil floating on the surface. I refused to get in or let my children use the pool. I went to the front desk, and eventually was able to inform the person manning it about the condition of the pool, and that the front desk had been alerted the previous evening by my mother-in-law. The attendant said "Yeah... Maintenance doesn't come in until after 6... I guess they'll clean it then." I said "6 PM?" They replied "Yeah." I said "Well that doesn't help us at all, does it?" There was no response of any sort, so I walked away. While waiting for the clerk to (apparently... it was really unclear what was going on) solve an issue in the computer for another guest, the daily "book" was open on the counter in front of me. It may have been rude of me to do so, but I couldn't help myself reading the notes. One of them was that "customer complained that the whole 4th floor (which was the floor we were staying on) smelled like someone had been smoking pot. I had noticed an unusual odor, especially in the hallway, myself, so this caught my eye. Reflecting on it, I believe that may have been what I smelled as well, but it's hard to say.

I went back up to the room, and we began packing up (as there was no reason to stay just to let the baby's clothes get filthy from crawling on the carpet), and tried to explain to my 4 1/2 year old why she couldn't swim as she was promised. Yes... THAT went well. I had put the "do not disturb" sign on the door. There was a knock. The very friendly and smiling housekeeping staff person said she was not told that we had late check-out and apologized for bothering us. I told her no problem, as we wouldn't be staying much longer anyway.

On our way out the door, as I dropped off the keys at the Front Desk and got my receipts, the same housekeeper happened tp be there leaning against the desk. She told the Front Desk clerk "Nobody told me that these nice folks had late check-out, so I disturbed them." The clerk said "Well it was written in the book." There was a little more back-and-forth on the subject while we were standing there. I don't know on whose side (housekeeping or front desk) the responsibility for passing on the information lies, but obviously the communication model isn't working. Nor is it generally good practice, in my opinion, to have such a discussion in front of the guests.

Overall... I just couldn't recommend this hotel to anyone or bring myself to stay here again. I'll pay the extra money to stay at either another Holiday Inn down the road that is cleaner and has a clean, heated, indoor pool, or at one of their competitors' properties in the future.

Room Tip: No room in this hotel is going to have "a view". It's either the Lowe's across the...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rick S
IHGCare, Guest Relations IHGCare at Holiday Inn Hotel Birmingham/Homewood, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Dear Rick S,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us such a detailed review.
I would like to offer a sincere apology. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

^Katie
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Homewood
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Homewood
Best Western Plus Carlton Suites
Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham / Lakeshore Drive
La Quinta Inn & Suites Birmingham Homewood
Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham Southwest
Candlewood Suites Birmingham/Homewood

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel Birmingham/Homewood? Share your experiences!