Holiday Inn Hotel Birmingham/Homewood
$134
$125
Homewood
  • Breakfast included
All reviewswalk in showermy mother in lawsparkling cleanluggage cartnew years daybed was very comfortablecup of coffeecell phonebusiness centerroad trippillowsbirminghaminterstatewalmart
Reviewed March 17, 2012

In the past I have always associated the name Holiday Inn with a decent hotel experience. This Holiday Inn needed a refurbishing badly. the mattresses were worn out, the carpeting in the rooms was worn, the maid service was sporadic (coffee was not replaced, we were asked if we wanted our room tidied by the maid .. in other words, make your own beds and make do with whatever was left over from the previous day regards towels, soap, shampoo, etc.). The dining room service was bad (breakfast food OK though). Cutlery came after the food was served. No butter for the toast.
What was good? TV worked OK. Elevators ran OK.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Al P
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel Birmingham/Homewood, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2012

Al P,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Homewood.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed March 15, 2012

this hotel looks good on the outside but it has some problems. First of all, we had rented two rooms and the clerk told me the room numbers were 320 and 334. The cards even had those numberw written down on them. After three times all the way up and down the hallway we concluded that there wasn't a room 334. When I went back down to the lobby the clerk said "oh, my mistake it is 324, we don't even have a 334. Once that was straightened out and I got to room 324, my key card did not work. I returned to the lobby for a second time and got new key cards and went back to the room. You guessed it the key cards didn't work again. So finally after the third trip to the lobby I was able to enter the room. Once inside the carpet was shredded horribly in more than one place. Also the finish around the plugs ins was frayed and there was a weird smell in the room. Later that evening after returning from dinner I searched for the ice machine and after another trip to the lobby the clerk said "oh myou must be on the 3rd floor, there is no ice machine on the third floor." I mentioned it would be nice to let guests know that they would need to go to another floor for ice. Also there was a terrible smell that met us as we reentered the floor from the elevator. Speaking of elevators there were two but only one was working for some reason which was not explained to anyone. The beds wre comfortable and the sheets were clean, the televisions worked well and the shower was sufficient. It is a beautiful hotel on the outside but there is lots of work that needs to be done.

Room Tip: ADjoining rooms are larger than non adjoining rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank utmsu2000
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel Birmingham/Homewood, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

Dear utmsu2000,

Thank you for the feedback. We strive to make sure every
guest has a wonderful experience here and greatly appreciate the feedback if they don't.
I sincerely apologize for the problems you encountered with the key cards.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed February 27, 2012

This was the least expensive of the several hotels located in a row in this area of Birmingham. After staying there, I can see why. Being a resident of Memphis, TN, home of Holiday Inn, this property did NOT meet my expectations for a Holiday Inn Franchisee.

Things started off well. My wife and I were going to Birmingham for the Jimmy Buffett concert, and her Mother had met us at the hotel from West Georgia. We had booked a King room for us and had booked a double Queen for her mother and our two girls, aged 4 1/2 and 10 months, to stay in. They were able to give us adjoining rooms, which was great. However, this meant that our King room was a Handicapped room. This did not appear to be a problem, as the hotel appeared to be FAR from full. I called the hotel about 4 days prior to arrival to confirm the reservation and the special requests I had made (crib in the room and extra pillows). The young woman at the front desk when we checked in on 2/25/12 was very friendly. We requested late check-out on Sunday, and she said that was no problem, that we could check out as late as 2 PM. Our plan was to spend the morning swimming in the pool and visiting with Grandma, so this would be perfect... or so we thought. We loved the layout of the hotel, and the decorating was very nice. Comfortable, modern, and nice-looking.

When we got to the rooms, all appeared to be fine. Again, the decorating was very nice, the equipment all appeared to be in good working order, etc. However, after our 10 month old had been walking and crawling on the carpet for just a little while, her clean pink socks were very dirty brown, as were the knees of her pants. Ewww.... the rest of us wore our flip-flops in the room for most of the rest of the stay, and didn't let her crawl on the carpet as much after that. Also, the extra pillows that I had requested for our room were not there. Speaking of which... instead of even standard size pillows, let alone King pillows, as I would have expected, the pillows on the beds were about half the width of a standard size pillow!?!?! This may be very "fashionable" and looked good to the designers, but they ended up being VERY uncomfortable for sleeping! "Funky", my wife said. So, anyway, I called down to the front desk, and asked for "some extra firm pillows", as there were two soft and two firm half-size pillows on the bed. There was silence on the line. I realized I may have been unclear, so i said "What I mean is, that I had requested extra pillows, and I need additional FIRM pillows, not soft pillows. Finally I got a response of "OK" and that was the end of the conversation... not "Yes sir, we'll send them right up. Sorry about that." as I would have expected. It then took at LEAST 2 hours for the pillows to show up. I don't know exactly how long, since by then my wife and I had left for the concert.

While we were at the concert, her mother took the girls downstairs to "Kem's Restaurant" (in the building) for dinner. She said the food was good, not spectacular, especially for the price (which seemed high), and she said the service was "excruciatingly slow". She said it appeared that there was only the one server, and she struggled to keep up with the number of patrons. One of our reasons for booking this particular hotel was that they had an indoor pool. After dinner, she took the girls down to the pool to swim, only to find that it was, in her words, "FREEZING", and the surface of the water was covered in hair and what looked like an oil sheen. She refused to let our daughters get in the water, and alerted the front desk clerk. She was told "Yeah, the pool isn't heated." This is something that should be made VERY CLEAR on the hotel's website. An indoor pool in February that is not heated, is NOT going to be swimmable for most people, especially not children. Honestly, I would not even have considered this hotel for this trip if I had known that.

The next morning when we got up and went down to breakfast at "Kem's", (we decided to give it a second chance) again the service was very slow, but again, there was only one server, and she was hustling to keep up with the number of patrons in the restaurant. She was very friendly and obviously working hard. I don't fault her. However, some of the silverware packets had two forks and a knife, others had a fork, spoon, and knife. The spoon in my packet was filthy, and there was no container of sweeteners or salt & pepper shakers on the table. The coffee was lukewarm at best, not hot as we expected. The food portions were decent, but the food was realy rather bland and tasteless, and overpriced. $2.69 for a glass of orange juice?? Really? At least the kids' meals were free.

After breakfast, we went to look at the pool, after hearing Grandma's description from the night before. When I got to the pool, it was obvious that nothing had been done to address our concern from the night before. The water was VERY cold, and in the shallow end there were MULTIPLE globs of hair and oil floating on the surface. I refused to get in or let my children use the pool. I went to the front desk, and eventually was able to inform the person manning it about the condition of the pool, and that the front desk had been alerted the previous evening by my mother-in-law. The attendant said "Yeah... Maintenance doesn't come in until after 6... I guess they'll clean it then." I said "6 PM?" They replied "Yeah." I said "Well that doesn't help us at all, does it?" There was no response of any sort, so I walked away. While waiting for the clerk to (apparently... it was really unclear what was going on) solve an issue in the computer for another guest, the daily "book" was open on the counter in front of me. It may have been rude of me to do so, but I couldn't help myself reading the notes. One of them was that "customer complained that the whole 4th floor (which was the floor we were staying on) smelled like someone had been smoking pot. I had noticed an unusual odor, especially in the hallway, myself, so this caught my eye. Reflecting on it, I believe that may have been what I smelled as well, but it's hard to say.

I went back up to the room, and we began packing up (as there was no reason to stay just to let the baby's clothes get filthy from crawling on the carpet), and tried to explain to my 4 1/2 year old why she couldn't swim as she was promised. Yes... THAT went well. I had put the "do not disturb" sign on the door. There was a knock. The very friendly and smiling housekeeping staff person said she was not told that we had late check-out and apologized for bothering us. I told her no problem, as we wouldn't be staying much longer anyway.

On our way out the door, as I dropped off the keys at the Front Desk and got my receipts, the same housekeeper happened tp be there leaning against the desk. She told the Front Desk clerk "Nobody told me that these nice folks had late check-out, so I disturbed them." The clerk said "Well it was written in the book." There was a little more back-and-forth on the subject while we were standing there. I don't know on whose side (housekeeping or front desk) the responsibility for passing on the information lies, but obviously the communication model isn't working. Nor is it generally good practice, in my opinion, to have such a discussion in front of the guests.

Overall... I just couldn't recommend this hotel to anyone or bring myself to stay here again. I'll pay the extra money to stay at either another Holiday Inn down the road that is cleaner and has a clean, heated, indoor pool, or at one of their competitors' properties in the future.

Room Tip: No room in this hotel is going to have "a view". It's either the Lowe's across the street or a parking lot. We were near the elevators, and didn't notice any mechanical noise at all.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Rick S
IHGCare, Guest Relations IHGCare at Holiday Inn Hotel Birmingham/Homewood, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2012

Dear Rick S,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us such a detailed review.
I would like to offer a sincere apology. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

^Katie
IHGCare

Reviewed February 21, 2012

I thought my wife and I had a decent stay at Holiday Inn, but would stay elsewhere in future. Reasons for this are as follows: Overflowing trash can by cold coffee in lobby upon arrival. I thought, yes, I would like a cup of coffee as we were leaving for restaurant, but had to pour out. May seem simple, but that set the stage for the night's stay. We got back and the carpet in the room was dirty in my opinion. The room was mostly clean, but my white socks said that dirt was definitely in the carpet. I expected more from this Holiday Inn, but will find other place to stay next time in area. One last critique. Breakfast was pretty good, but even the coffee in restaurant was lukewarm. Come on Holiday Inn, one of the big differentiators for me is hot, fresh coffee!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2012

First, I'll start with the positive, the room was nice, small but nice. The decor is lovely in this hotel and the breakfast while not free was good. It is a newer hotel in the holiday inn brand.

I cashed in some Priority Club points to stay here on a Sunday evening. there might have been 10 cars in the parking lot the whole time we were there The hotel had low occupancy and when we went to check in at 4PM our room wasn't ready so they moved us to an equivalent room. The check in gift was a bag of pretezels, a small bottle of water and a crystal light packet (I had 4 people staying in the room we were given 1 baggie with those items in it). It was just an odd choice, I've stayed in probably 100 different holiday inns and usually you get a cookie, a drink ticket, your choice of additional points. It seems like they are trying every way to fill in the blank with the cheapest option available.

As I was staying on points they just took my credit card for incidentals. The room was clean, we were placed directly across from a couple with very small children who were rather noisy that was also odd considering the hotel was empty. There was somone's bra left in the closet but other than that it was clean. We had a view of the back side of the hotel but it was okay. We had called the week before to ensure the indoor pool was in working order. When we went down to use it the water was FREEZING no heater. We looked at the breakfast menu and it said that kids eat free if you eat in the restaurant so we chose to go there instead of outside of the hotel. Well kids were not free since we were staying on priority club points. It seemed every time we engaged the staff they acted like we were cheating them because we were staying on priority club points. When I went to check out and return my key, they checked me out but refused to give me a receipt because that would come from priority club. Excuse me you took a swipe of my credit card and you can give me a zero balance statement. It was very strange. This hotel just felt like it was nothing special. Like the staff didn't want to be there. I wouldn't recommend it even though it has alot of potential, room service, a bar, a restraurant, close proximity to food and shops all should be a plus but I wish we had choosen a different hotel.

Room Tip: Double bed room are very cramped and small choose a king bedroom if you have a choice.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family