“Not worth the money”

Quality Inn - Homewood
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Homewood
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Toilet wouldn't flush. Room floor not level almost tumbled out of window. Armoire was extremely dusty. Entire hotel placed on a hill. Parking lot is not well. The staff was helpful. Had a problem and maintenance came right up.

• Stayed: November 2012
gmal228, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn - Homewood, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Hi,

Sorry about the issues you experienced with our location, we will address those issues immediatly. Thanks for the input. If you find yourself in our location again, I hope you will consider us.

Thanks,
Guest Relations

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Quality Inn was my first choice when me and spouse decided to choice somewhere to stay over the weekend from our long 10 hr drive but we deciede to stay anyways to save money. As we arrived at the hotel the appreance was not that bad. Once we were checking in I must say that the customer service was horrible. There was a middle age looking man checking us in who in fact did not greet us nor did he seemed thrilled that he was receiving besiness. Ignoring the rude empolyees we still decided to stay. Unfortuanly our two day stay was ended with a one night stay that I refuse to the put reasons in this review due to leagality reasons. But i must say the previous reviews that were read and ignored about this hotel/motel was very true and I will never EVER stay at another quality inn again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I was a bit worried about booking this hotel after reading a few reviews and my fears turned out to be true. My husband and I were on a long road trip throughout the south and decided to stay at various types of establishments throughout our trip. We didn't budget to stay in luxurious hotels every night, so we decided to save a few dollars by booking a room here. Big mistake.

First the pros: The breakfast isn't bad. The property was fairly easy to find and has parking available.

The cons: This "hotel" (more like motel) was dirty and disappointing on so many levels. When we checked in, the older woman at the front desk was cordial. We were given a room on the second floor, and as soon as we stepped into it, it smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. I am pretty sensitive to the residual smells of cigarettes but tried to be flexible. After about 5 minutes of inspecting the room, the smell got to me and my husband and I decided to change rooms. When we returned to the front desk, the clerk didn't apologize at all. She simply asked if we had messed up "her" room in any way, and we responded that we had not. She gave us the key to another room. This room smelled a little bit less of cigarette smoke, but was still pretty smelly. The carpet was worn, the bedspread looked like it hadn't been washed in ages, the sheets were thin, and the overall condition of the furniture was sub-standard. We were able to get decent sleep, but I developed a mild cough from inhaling the low quality air throughout the night.

Overall: If this place is renovated and spruced up, it could be quaint and charming; but it gives the impression that the owner/manager doesn't really care to do anything in the interest of attracting and satisfying guests. The front-desk clerk should also adopt a more amiable and helpful attitude.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that doesn't smell of cigarettes or grime. Good luck.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
gmal228, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn - Homewood, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2012

Hi,
I am sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction at our location. We have addressed all issues mentioned and hopefully if you are in this location again, you will consider us for a stay.

Again we sincerely apologize,
Guest Relations

Reviewed August 2, 2012

I wasn't expecting this hotel to be amazing, but it just was pretty horrible. First issue - The woman working at the front desk was very rude. We walked into our room and had to walk right back out because the room smelled so strongly of cat urine. We went back to the front desk and told the woman what had happened. She didn't apologize or offer an explanation and just gave us a new room. The rooms look nothing like the pictures online. They are much dingier and dirty. Also wasn't in a great location.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
gmal228, Public Relations Manager at Quality Inn - Homewood, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

Hi Ms. Laura,

I am sorry about your dissatisfaction at this location. We did speak with our front desk staff regarding this matter and we have also assigned a deep cleaning for that room. Again I apologize for your dissatisfaction and hopefully you would consier us again if in this location.

Guest Relations,
Sandrea Anderson

Reviewed March 19, 2012

I was hesitant to book at this hotel after reading the mixed reviews but decided to give it a try. This is an older property just off I65 south of Birmingham. It is a 3-story building with the bottom two floors having outside entrances. I had a 3rd floor room. I found the room to be relatively quiet and of average size. It has a microwave, fridge, and coffee pot. While beginning to need remodeling, the room was good for the price and clean though the halls had a light musty smell. My only complaint with the room was the older mattress which was not a pillow top and only marginally comfortable. I dealt with 3 staff members with 1 being exceptionally nice and the other 2 were "OK".

Apart from the mattress, the only other below average area is the breakfeast. I stayed two nights and the first morning there was no coffee. The coffee is made by a push-button brewer and not adequate (or tasty) even when it worked on the second morning. There is one hot waffel grill, cereal, yogert, bagels, other small pasteries. The only fresh fruit was apples. (Apples for breakfast?). If you like breakfeast, you will be better served going out to eat.

The hotel is very close to Jim and Nicks BBQ which is excellent. Overall, the hotel was average but a reasonable value. With minor attention, it could rate much better.

Room Tip: Ask for a third floor room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
gmal228, employee at Quality Inn - Homewood, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2012

Hi,
Thanks for the review, hopefully you will consider us again if you are ever on this side of town.

Reviewed January 7, 2012

Attempted to check-in on January 6, 2012 using choice rewatd points. The person at the desk wanted to photocopy our drivers license and credit cards. Did this in New Orleans at another hotel and my id was compromised. Under no circumstances should anyone photocopy your information. We checked into the comfort suites at another location in Birmingham.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank alafans
gmal228, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn - Homewood, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2012

I am sorry for the inconvience that you encountered, but for security of our property we have to ensure the right to recover costs of items that may become missing or damaged. If no problem discovered, information will not be used. Information is kept secure under lock and key.

Reviewed October 20, 2011

I enjoyed my stay in the King size room. The hotel has some small (and Imean small) cosmetic repairs to do, but the room was clean, comfortable, and relaxing. I would stay here again and for the price, I felt it was well vested for a night of good sleep. I enjoyed my juice, coffee, and bagels the follwing morning. I hope you enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Close to elevator 3rd floor, quiet
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo

Thanks for the compliment and consideration for another visit at our location

Also consider these accommodations in or near Homewood
La Quinta Inn & Suites Birmingham Homewood
La Quinta Inn & Suites Birmingham Hoover
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#54 of 80 in Birmingham

Been to Quality Inn - Homewood? Share your experiences!