“Everything Was Burnt Black On This Visit.”

Sabor Latino Restaurant
Ranked #28 of 83 Restaurants in Homewood
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I’ve eaten at Sabor Latino Twice now, the first time the food was pretty good and flavorful, this second time.. Not so much, everything that wasn’t burnt black was pretty bland. This review is based on my August 11, 2013 visit.

I had the Sabor Latino Fajitas; it’s a fajita mix with chicken, steak and shrimp. And as you can see in my pictures posted from this last visit, the food was burnt black, to the point of it not being edible, especially the food that was on the bottom layer. But I am not one of those people who send food back unless its undercooked, so I just enjoyed my meal the best I could.. My girlfriend even mentioned that her favorite dish there, the pollo con champinones (a dish she has eaten many times here) was bland and not as flavorful as it use to be.

All in all the restaurant is ok I guess, Like I said before, one time it was great, the next time.. not so much.. The service is good, the prices are good etc etc.. I only gave it a three star rating because the first time was pretty awesome, if it hadn’t been for that.. It probably would have been a one star..

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Maybe I'm too used to the "real deal" in the Hartford, CT area that influenced my being less than satisfied with Sabor Latino. Instead of the traditional corn kernels and green sauce usually served, tortilla chips and salsa graced the table. I assume that is from the Mexican side of the menu but when I asked about the kernels, the waitress had no idea what I was talking about. Expansive menu but the Lomo Saltaldo (a staple dish), grilled chicken and rice/seafood fell short. Not much by the way of seafood, the Lomo Saltaldo swam in a soy based sauce and the chicken lacked the smokey taste so common in better preparation. Staff was pleasant, prices reasonable. Restaurant itself is basic and non-descript. Would I return if again in the Homewood area - only if I was desperate for a taste of Peruvian fare.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Many Mexican restaurants are very similar, most I have visited offer good to very good fare, so this is not unique. Sabor Latino is a bit diffierent... a Peruvian/Mexican restaurant. The owners and staff are friendly, the food is good, the surroundings are low key, which has a great appeal to me. If you are looking for a 5 star restaurant, don't go. If you are looking for good "south of the border" food, this is your place!

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Great menu, but go with the Peruvian pages. Excellent service and drink specials. The Peruvian tamales are define, but offered on weekends - the last time we went was on Monday, so we were able to snag a couple.