“Unexpected new restaurant in Homewood”
Review of Little Donkey

Little Donkey
Ranked #4 of 83 Restaurants in Homewood
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We tried Little Donkey after reading about it in Southern Living magazine. A friend and I went for lunch on a Friday. We ordered the queso and chips - when it arrived it was much smaller than we anticipated at about 3 oz total. It had a great flavor - but the size and the price didn't seem to correspond.
I had the chicken taco lunch with the special concoction side dish. Both had a great flavor and I recommend them both. My friend the beef brisket lunch tacos and the corn side dish. She said both of her items were very tasty as well.
The service was really good and there were several things that I would like to try so I will definitely return.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Very diverse Menu. They have and the usual stuff and then some. I had Quac, chips and salsa and Steak Quesadilla. My friend had tamales and the LaConcoccion. Its something they are famous for. Highly recommend. In a really COOL part of town. GREAT FOOD

Reviewed November 23, 2013

I saw an article on best southern fried chicken. Well, naturally if an article is about the best fried chicken, it is made in our South. Anyway, I have been meaning to try Little Donkey and this article listed it as one of the best for fried chicken. That was the last nudge I needed.

I had the fried chicken in the quarter size which was, in my case, breast and drumstick. The breast was actually only a quarter of a breast. The chicken was moist enough, crispy and I think it would have had a good flavor except for the fact it was so salty. The menu instructs to allow 20 minutes for the chicken, so I ordered a tamal as an appetizer.

The tamal never came. When our server delivered our main courses, I asked. I was advised they were out, but I think the server just did not turn in the order. He was a bit of a poky waiter, anyway.

I had the dressed greens and elote as my sides. Greens were nothing special, but were fresh. Elote was pretty good.

My wife had a smoked brisket quesadilla which she said was one of the best quesadillas she has had.

Chips and salsa are included with the meals here. The salsa is thin and tasteless. Chips are fresh, but a bit dry.

Overall, I do not find this restaurant one I would rush back to, but I think anyone in the area should try it once.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I am not a big fan of Mexican food. Being from the south I like some "crunch' to my food and I don't care for soft taco's or other foods that are filled with beans, rice and calories. the Little Donkey's burrito was not crunchy :( but the inside was full of beef that reminded me of what would be on a plate of BarBQ. . After my fill of chips and dip I could only a portion of this huge burrito. The rest of it was dinner the next night at home. There were two kinds of salsa. The regular (which was very good) and the green which was kind of tasteless. I enjoyed my meal at the Little donkey over many of the numerous Mexican restaurants in the city.

Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Chicken dry and tasteless
some kind of bean mess with raw green egg whites
We ordered six different entries
couldn't eat any of them