“unique, irresistable”
Review of Steel City Pops

Steel City Pops
Ranked #1 of 5 Dessert in Homewood
Description: They sell the best gourmet, all natural popsicles in Birmingham!
Description: They sell the best gourmet, all natural popsicles in Birmingham!
Reviewed August 18, 2014

I had read about Steel City Pops in Trip Advisor, so I simply had to try this place. A tiny shop situated next to two eateries, the crowds are so large that cars fill an overflow parking lot across the street. Why all the fuss? To be honest, I have eaten all over the world, and the pops produced by this shop are like nothing I have tasted anywhere. Artisanal gelato on a stick is how my wife described her buttermilk pop. My daughter raved about the hibiscus. There are two types: fruity and creamy. We loved them so much we came back the next day for more.

I plan to write to the owner to see if we can open a place here in my town. It's that good. And so fast. The pops are premade and customers never have to wait. Next time I go back, I will definitely try the chocolate. We missed that one.

On this, my first visit to Birmingham, we gravitated to the south side for cuisine. From Five Points to Homewood, we were stunned at the quality of the eateries. I felt like I was in any village in Lebanon at Naji's, and I was absolutely in Mexico at Gordo's. This place is not found on Trip Advisor, but it is a must stop for tacos and tacos salad. Be forewarned: Gordo's exists for the local Mexican day laborers. They line up paying with one dollar bills to purchase these magical tacos. If you come here, you must be prepared to be transported to a barrio, but a barrio with mouth watering food at the lowest prices. There is also a bakery and grocery attached, both busy catering to the local central American population.

2  Thank Anthony-Susan

Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

It's a tiny little place and easy to miss, but worth the look. Everybody seems to either grab and go or sit outside. Relatively cheap and the flavors were great. I got pineapple and my fiancé got avocado. Tasted just like them.

Reviewed August 9, 2014

Oh, yeah... Who doesn't love a good popsicle? I had the pineapple, which was fan-freakin-tastic... Tasted just like fresh pineapple. My best friend had the buttermilk, which was surprisingly not too shabby...

1  Thank Fleurty323
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

While on vacation in Bham, I introduced my family to this cleaver dessert treat. I really love the pops as well as the decor of this homewood shoppe! We three had the peach pop (amazing) the chocolate peanut butter (luscious) and lemonade (refreshing)! Love the concept and amazed how these pops don't melt fast. Steel city quickly became one if our favorite Bham finds!!!!

Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Saw this online while looking for gluten free options in Birmingham for my trip. So glad I found this place! Lots of uniques, refreshing flavors, and the price isn't too bad. I was expecting it to be double what it was. We got a 4 pack (any flavor combination) for our family for $10. Loved!