“Excellent”

Saw's BBQ
Ranked #1 of 84 Restaurants in Homewood
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

We visited Saw's during the week for lunch. Place was crowded which most of the time is a good sign for good food. The crowded restaurant didn't lie (though the restaurant is very small). We had barbecue sandwiches (chicken and pork) plus the half chicken plate. The chicken was delicious (two people should share half chicken plate) the pork was good and the white sauce was pretty good (if you travel North Alabama white sauce is a staple for barbecue and though Saw's white sauce is good, it's not the best I've had). The turnip greens and potato salad was also excellent. Will definitely be back

1  Thank no_ax_to_grind_1272

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Took a say trip to Birmingham, AL to try Saw's Soul Kitchen on in June. We were the 2nd in a short line. I decided to try the Pork w/collard, cheese grits/fried onion and I really wanted to give it a positive review. There was just too much going on with this dish. I traveled apprx 185 miles to give it a try. My husband ordered the cheeseburger w/fries and we also ordered an extra meal of the Sweet Tea chicken sandwich and deviled eggs. The sandwich was good, but the deviled eggs tasted like the eggs were boiled too long. I guess that I am extremely picky when it comes to food and just because most people like something, It does not mean that I will. I guess the next time I will try the BBQ.

1  Thank Michelle R
Reviewed July 2, 2014

This was the best barbecue I've had a restaurant. The white sauce in the chicken was amazing. I will certainly be back.

1  Thank RDean76
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Arrived Saturday morning @ 11:15 - line already out the door. Extremely tiny seating area,

10 tables only, & a handful of bar stools to sit at by the window. took around 15 minutes, or so to

STAND IN LINE to place our order. Being our 1 st time, all 3 of us ordered a combination plate

that came with 2 ribs, a nice portion of pulled pork, & one quarter chicken topped with white bbq

sauce, & choice of 2 sides. I chose Mac -n- cheese & beans. The price was 16.95 + tax. After a

couple of teas & a 16 oz can of Pabst (3.75) - our bill was 64 bucks, we left a 10 dollar tip. So it

cost us around 25 bucks each! Sides were all good, but $$$ wise, next time we go, we'll

probably get the rib plate only - for 11.25 you get 4 ribs. In summary, the food was perfect,

downside, if you want to refill your tea,,or soda, there is no ice dispenser. Ribs - falling off the

bone perfect! - Chicken Moist not dried out at all! Pulled pork - moist, juicy not at all stringy

All 3 main food items we got were all 10.00+++ UNABLE to recommend any higher!!!

GO THERE ASAP!

2  Thank LouisvilleBreweriana
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have been to Saw's several times since we "discovered" it last year, and we are never disappointed! As other reviews have stated, it is indeed just a hole-in-the-wall place with one cash register, but even if they had three, it would still be lined out the door at lunch time. After you taste the food, it's very easy to see why. I always get the Tucs Jr. Sampler, which comes with one rib, plenty of pulled pork, and a quarter smoked chicken with white sauce. Each element is individually the best I've had anywhere. Ribs are fall-off-the-bone tender, pulled pork goes perfectly with the super-vinegary BBQ sauce, and the chicken is always thoroughly smoked and juicy. My wife loves all three as well, but she is so in love with the chicken that she has to order the chicken only (includes breast, thigh and leg). Potato salad is rich and cheesy (not for everyone), coleslaw has tons of vinegar (also not for everyone), and the mac and cheese is great when dipped in the BBQ sauce (my secret)! Saw's is a must stop every time we are in the Birmingham area, and we always love showing it off to family and friends.

1  Thank ShaneAndChristin