“Big flavor in a small package”
Review of Saw's BBQ

Saw's BBQ
Ranked #1 of 82 Restaurants in Homewood
Cuisines: Barbecue
Madisonville KY
“Big flavor in a small package”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Passing thru Birmingham and looking for great BBQ, we tried Saw's BBQ based on other reviews. They were accurate. It's small and seating is limited. They use a real fire and it shows in both the smell and taste. 3 meat Sampler comes with 2 sides. Spareribs were a little tough on the tip end, but the rest of the rib was excellent. They use a sweet/salty rub that glazed up nicely and had a bit of a crunch in places without being burned. Pulled pork had a good flavor and not overloaded with smoke. The rub didn't come across very strong on the portion we shared and some of the longer strands of meat were chewy and could have been cooked longer but it was very good. A chicken leg/thigh came with the plate. Great tasting skin with a wonderful rub but the meat was a little dry. White sauce was just okay, but the two sauces on the table were excellent. We tried to buy sauce to take home but they were out. Sides taste homemade, especially the Mac/cheese. Potato salad is made with shredded potatoes and without mustard; different than I expected but good. Too full for banana pudding but all the guests in there raved about it. The cashier was great and the whole staff friendly. It's on my recommended list.

alabama
“Tender, smokey goodness”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Saw's Barbecue is a neat little restaurant in one of Birmingham's neighboring cities of Homewood. We were greeted when we walked through the door by wonderful smell of smokey barbecue. We each tried the pulled pork plates with baked beans and cole slaw. The meat was hot knife through butter tender. It was delicious. The cole slaw was vinegar based with celery seeds. Not on the sweet side. The beans were good. They had a different kind of flavor that I could not put my finger on. Our meal was served with two pieces of white bread. Order at the counter and then find your seat. Your food is brought to your table. The restaurant is small so seating is limited. There is some outside seating. They had ran out of ribs and the cheese and macaroni. Both looked really good.

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“Unexpected goodness”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

White BBQ sauce!? Yes, white bbq sauce...it's great and simple. the menu is simple but succulent. the cole slaw is vinegar-based and the red bbq sauce is thin and vinegar-based. A very interesting seasoning on the chicken as well, but good. I wish I could be more descriptive but the spices and flavors Saw's uses are so unusual and different. The restaurant is very small, the floor is greasy and if you don't get there early Saw's will start running out of food...so you know it's good.

• Visited May 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Hole In The Wall Nothing Fancy Crowded Good to Excellent BBQ”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Place was packed the time we were in the place. Two samplers tried. Pulled pork was the best with Saw's sauce for dipping if you want. Chicken leg and thigh nice crispy skin may have been a little overdone but very tasty. Ribs were large and again done a little bit too much for my taste. Ribs were fatty so it took a little more work to separate the tasty morsels of meat. Sides were excellent. Slaw, mac n cheese, and greens all wonderful. Ice tea, canned beer and a soda fountain are available. Service was quick considering the crowd. Go a couple doors down and get a couple of cupcakes for dessert.

1 Thank brghman
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States
“The Best BBQ In The South”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Once in a while you find a restaurant that makes you believe in excellence. I ate here on a trip through the South picking up audio equipment, on my way I ate at 13 BBQ joints, this was tops. Our waitress Davita was a sweet little thing and hustled the floor like she was working for a living and steered us to the specialty's that were simply the best BBQ I have ever eaten. The establishment is ornate in Southern decor from times of yore and the ambiance is the same, this is traditional BBQ at it's finest. I will spend the rest of my life looking for a meal that measures to this one.

• Visited May 2014