“Decent room, horrible staff”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Homewood
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Homewood
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I recently had to secure a room for my wife and son who were stranded due to a snow storm in our area. I went online and found this hotel since it was next to my son's school and my wife could reach it easily. I was able to book the room for one price which was fair. My brother in law was in the same area and asked me 10 minutes later to book him the same room as he was told the rate was much higher at the front desk. When I went to book the same room 10 minutes later the rate had been raised by $30. I will only speculate, but the hotel saw they had an opportunity to be full this night and decided to make the most of it!!!! My wife checked in and found the room to be ok but realized she would need a toothbrush and toothpaste and went to the front desk to see about getting 1 for each of the group (4 total.) The front desk was not very happy to provide the needed items, but did so. She also wanted to see if they might have an extra phone charger in lost and found. When asked the clerk didn't bother to check and just said not and continued to text on his phone. I will skip ahead to breakfast and while there was food, the staff was not helpful again when the Pancake batter dispenser was clogged. The attendant just looked at my wife when she asked if he could help and ignored her request.
Our area was hit hard by the storm and all road became impassable. On the local news there were stories of hotels in that same area the opened their doors and lobbies to non-paying customers and allow them to sleep on the floors and in the lobby. My wife advised that the lobby of this hotel was conspicously empty! When she went to the desk to ask if they were going to allow a late checkout due to the weather all the desk clerk would do is point to the checkout time and say if you want to stay another night we will be happy to accomodate you. When ask what that meant, he repeated himself and pointed to the sign again.
While I realize that hotels are in the business of providing accomodations to paying customers at some point they need to think about the community they are in and the needs of all instead of only the paying.
If given the choice between paying more for a similar place to stay and staying at another Country Inn and Suites, I will choose to pay more.

Room Tip: Check for other places in the area, there are plenty to choose from!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Homewood

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I chose this hotel based on location, costs, free hot breakfast, and user ratings. The location put me equidistant to business-related stuff and the greater downtown area and was perfect. The hotel is undergoing renovations in the lobby, so it's not much to look at right now. I guess they're starting there and working their way up because my room, while fairly comfortable, was also dated.

For whatever reason they "upgraded" me to a handicap room, which meant it did not have a tub or even a lip for a transition between the shower floor and the bathroom floor. As a result, I had to throw down multiple towels with each shower. The bed was fine, the HDTV of good quality (although the remote was for another brand and didn't allow for full functionality of the TV), and the mini-fridge worked well. Unfortunately, I never made it down in time for breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a proper tub or shower, not a handicap shower!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank DanNowlan
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I may have reviewed this property in the past with a good review but the last three times I have stayed here it has gotten worse. The last two times I had complained about the ice machines not working, the drink machines being out of drinks, the breakfast food. This time it is worse. the ice machine on the 3rd floor STILL do not work. We were told to go to the first floor each time we needed ice and we were on the fourth floor. BTW I have always requested a room on a floor with vending and ice and never get one. When I went to the breakfast buffet on 12/14/13 at 8:00 A. M. there was a woman and a man working in the kitchen area. He was cooking himself a waffle. There were few eggs in the tray and the ones that were there were burned black, there was gravy in a casserole dish sitting on the counter to get cold, there were two biscuits and a few pieces of link sausage.There were no juice cups, when I asked the lady she said I dont know ask him. When I asked him he did find some I thanked him and got no response he had a definite attitude. When I asked for them to refill the juice dispenser I got his finger held up gesturing for me to wait. When I asked if more eggs were going to be cooked I was told yes. It took him 20 minutes to replace the juice it took her 25 minutes too put out eggs. The counters were dirty the woman got her cell phone out of her black coat hanging on the wall in the kitchen and was on that instead of working. I had to leave and go to the McDonalds down the street for breakfast at a cost of 12.91. On 12/15/13 when I went down for breakfast the bread in the bread container for toast is so stale that if you toasted it it would be rock hard. Even stale bread CANNOT make good toast. Since I have had nothing but problems for the past three stays I would not recommend this hotel due to staff attitude, machines not working, breakfast not being satisfactory unless you are staying for free, so you can use your cash to go buy breakfast.

Room Tip: I have no tips for anyone wanting to stay here.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank TLRMOM7
Reviewed December 17, 2013

This was a really clean hotel. It is located near restaurants, a Sam's Club, and Walmart. The room was quiet. The indoor pool was really clean as well. The breakfast was standard but worth the value. This hotel is three exits from the UAB campus and hospitals.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank penntrainer
Reviewed December 3, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Shunte J
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Had a very nice stay. This is a very clean hotel. The staff was nice and courteous. Room was clean and spacious. The complimentary breakfast was good, and the dining area was super clean. There were freshly baked cookies which was an added bonus. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank bmb0110
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Had a nice stay. The room was clean and bed was comfortable. The only negative thing for this property is that it's way back off the main drag and kind of hard to find. Not very good signage, but with GPS was able to find it

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Becky H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Homewood
Best Western Plus Carlton Suites
Holiday Inn Hotel Birmingham/Homewood
Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham Southwest
Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham / Lakeshore Drive
Candlewood Suites Birmingham/Homewood
La Quinta Inn & Suites Birmingham Homewood

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Homewood? Share your experiences!