“Better than expected”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Homewood
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Homewood
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Great hotel, very impressive. Roomy, pillows were awesome, hotel looked brand new. Staff wonderful!

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank ANDYTAC171

Reviewed January 24, 2011

We are traveling with 12 families for a softball tournament. I called the hotel and made a group booking with Wanda from group sales. We talked for about 20 minutes while she set up the block for 12 double rooms and then she told me that she would need to send over a contract to be signed. I was to sign the contract and return it to her. This was a 10 a.m. on Tuesday. I didn't get the contract that day and called to ask about it. She said that she was working on it and that there was no problem. She would get it to me. On Weds. at around 3, I got the contract...only it was for King rooms with a pullout couch. I emailed her to tell her that the contract had the wrong rooms and she informed me that the double rooms were not available. I explained that since we were traveling with families, these King rooms would not work.

After some back and forth, Wanda told me that she had made a mistake and could offer me 6 Double Suites and 6 King Suites. I agreed to this and asked her to send over the contract. Again, I didn't receive a contract. Instead, on Thursday morning, I got an email saying that she had talked to the General Mgr and the Corporate Mgr and they had decided not to give us the Suites after all. So now, I have been given 2 different bookings for my group and they haven't followed through with either one.

I have called the Corporate office and lodged a complaint, but have yet to hear anything from the Owner/General Mahager.

Stayed: January 2011
4  Thank CBatch1010
Reviewed January 21, 2011

My wife and I enjoyed this stay. The room was clean and standard as far as everything else goes. I do not understand why any hotels that I have ever stayed at do not have more flat pillows. I hate the super fluffy ones. Anyway, we got up for breakfast the next morning and the lady who was providing was great. Everyone else was just so so on friendliness, but she was very nice. The food was good and so was the coffee. Would stay here again for the price.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DanBama
Reviewed November 1, 2010

I stayed here while looking for a place to get married in Birmingham. I then inquired a couple months later about reserving a block of rooms, which they happily did for me and sent me an email confirming the room reservation (because they said that they did not sign contracts). Today they called me at 7:30 in the morning to tell me that they could not honor the rate on my wedding block because of an event that is in town. When reserving the rooms, I was very up front with them about that event being in town, and I was assured that it would not be a problem. The person who called me said that she could not do anything about the reservation and that I would have to speak with the manager. I called him SIX TIMES before he finally took my phone call. They have cancelled my reservation, and the manager is unconcerned that I had an agreement with his establishment. This is a horrible business strategy and horrible customer service. I will not be giving any of these hotel chains my business in the future.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Preus003
Reviewed September 24, 2010

This is a good hotel. Just built in April 2010. Rooms are nice and clean. Staff was friendly. Good safe, convienent location, to walmart and restaurants. Would certainly stay again. Also got a great deal on Expedia for $42/nt. Also has a free breakfast that is not great but good enough for free.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank drdon366
Reviewed July 9, 2010

Poor front desk service, with the girl on the phone giving someone directions for 20 minutes while people waited in line to check in; one elevator for a 4 story building, very poor air conditioning, very few cable channels in each room, wireless internet that was difficult to figure out and when you call the front desk you get a message that the mailbox is full. only one ice machine and soda machine (which was broken) and they are located on the first floor; In addition, while there is a typically american looking girl working the front desk, the hotel is apparently managed by a group of not so friendly middle easterners who spend their time walking around talking in a language no one understands. I found it ironic that a group of national guard and reservists were staying here on their way to weekend warrior training this weekend. I had stayed at Country Inns at three differently locations on this trip- Macon, Chattanooga and Clarksville, TN. On the return trip, took a different route and assumed we would get the same quality and value at a Country Inn outside Birmingham. I don't think I will be staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank videomediamaker
Reviewed June 21, 2010

When I pulled up to the hotel, there was a huge banner hanging across it that said "Opening soon" which made me really nervous. Learned later (from the breakfast lady) that the hotel had only been open for 8 weeks because of a fire a couple years ago and it had taken them that long to repair everything. (I SWEAR that is what she said). It looks brand new and is a great place to stay. My room was clean and comfortable and smelled very good. Nice big TV with decent channel selection. Bed comfortable. Didn't use the (outdoor) pool but did use the exercise room. A little hot for my preference but it was fine. Machines are in great condition. Breakfast was nice...several hot options...and then the standard selection of cold ones. (cereal, donuts, little bagels, fruit...). The breakfast lady kept it clean and worked hard to keep it stocked (which was not an easy thing for her to do on the Saturday morning I was there!) Not sure I would call the staff 'friendly' but they were efficient which is OK by me. My only big gripe is that there were no snack machines...there were several drink machines...but no food/snacks vending options. It got late one night and I wanted a little snack but couldn't get anything! Hate that! Make sure to get a cookie (or 2) though...they are good!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank KMR2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Homewood
Courtyard Birmingham Homewood
Holiday Inn Hotel Birmingham/Homewood
La Quinta Inn & Suites Birmingham Homewood
Candlewood Suites Birmingham/Homewood
Best Western Plus Carlton Suites
Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham Lakeshore Drive

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Homewood? Share your experiences!