All reviews pool table within walking distance trendy hotel shops and restaurants great area fun place parking garage lobby bar sliding door business trip bed was comfortable flat screen tv indoor pool the room was nice birmingham wedding toys
Reviewed December 22, 2010

Maybe my expectations were too high for aLoft, and I understand that it is not going to provide the same amenities and service that a stay at a W Hotel would offer at $120/night; however, I was shocked at how many areas of the stay I found disappointing. First, the lighting options were terrible. There was a very bright desk light and two sconces above the headboard, neither of which could be dimmed to provide a softer ambience. Second, the A/C unit was very, very noisy and when combined with the traffic noise from the street below, it prevented me from sleeping. Third, the IKEA-type decor and amenities (plastic ice bucket like something I'd think was cool in 2nd grade) were strikingly lower-scale than what I would expect from a Starwood property, even a budget one. Fourth, the layout of the room was awkward and a bit too "loft-like," lacking in privacy. For a hotel that claims it is technology-forward, the phones in the rooms were not very intuitive and were chintzy.
The positives? Location is walking distance from great shopping (Three Sheets) and restaurants (Frank Stitt's Bottega), and the TV set-up was first-rate.
Looking for a better value? The Embassy Suites, about 10 minutes away and very close to the airport. $120 gets you free happy hour, a refridgerator, free hot breakfast, great service, and a hotel van for free transportation, driven by a very charming man named Arthur. Arthur went as far as to slip a thank you note under our room door! Quite the contrast with aLoft for a few more dollars.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2010

This is my first experience at Aloft and I really liked it. The lobby, my room and common areas were perfectly kept. Worth a try!

The "Soho" neighborhood is very cute; however, none of the retail shoppes are open after 6 pm.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed November 23, 2010

Clean, cool, with a "Green" theme.

The Aloft Hotels are quickly becoming one of my favored brands of the Starwood properties. While the Westin is a premier hotel with heavenly beds and marble abounding, the Aloft properties find a pleasant balance between the trendiness of the W hotels and the standard amenities of a 4 Points or Hampton Inn. The rates are generally quite reasonable and the beds are comfortable without being plush. That is, Westin beds will induce sleepiness if you even sit to put on shoes, and the Aloft’s beds are just like home.

This Aloft is situated on the edge of the UAB campus. It is walking distance to several newer shops and neighboring the police station. I heard no sirens to disturb my rest and had a sense of security knowing law enforcement would deter property crime. The scenic hills of Birmingham added to the quality of my fifth floor view. Those same hills can prove daunting when driving around Birmingham, Alabama at night, but the Aloft is next to a major thoroughfare so getting to restaurants and stores further away was simple. I liked the parking arrangement and appreciated that, unlike some downtown hotels, there was no additional fee to park and no maneuvering required to find and fit in a space.

I could not put this property above the other Starwood property in Birmingham, at which I have also stayed. It really depends on the purpose of your trip. My last trip to the area was for a wedding about 2 years ago. This Aloft wasn’t completed at that point and wasn’t an option, but it is perfectly located had I wished to visit the church again. It is also in a good place to explore the hidden bars and restaurants that exist outside of downtown.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 13, 2010

This hotel is very chic, but I am not sure the value is worth what I paid. We stayed for 2 nights in November 2010 for my daughter to visit Birmingham Southern College. We received a rate of $119 per night. It was a different, very modern, open feeling hotel. The room was clean and the beds very comfortable. The walls must be thin because when my husband got up to shower before the rest of us, we could hear everything. The sinks are also not enclosed from the rest of the room so noise could be a problem. The front desk help on the night we arrived was adequate. The next morning the woman that helped up was very accomodating and had several great recommendations as to where to go for breakfast and for shopping later that day. She even printed out maps to show exactly where to go.

The location is in Homewood, a very nice suburb of Birmingham. If you are wanting to stay in Birmingham proper this hotel is a little out of the way. However, the area is very nice.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2010

I checked in rather late. The woman at the aloha desk was on the phone so someone else quickly stepped in to check me in. The only thing that wasn't perfect about the entire experience was that they did not acknowledge my platinum status with SPG. But, the guy did give me my card in a jacket with Platinum perks listed on the outside.

These rooms are fairly standard: comfortable, clean and functional. I slept like a baby.

Easily checked out using the self-check out function on the television.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo