Location is walking distance to Soho Square which offers several good restaurants (Jackson's, Greyhouse Grill, Jinsei). They had outside parking as well as their own deck which was very convenient - this cuts out that extra charge for valet parking that can run up to $16 a day at some places! But as one reviewer mentioned, at full capacity, parking maybe a little sparse.
Front desk clerk Shonda was very pleasant and helpful - check in was very speedy. I asked for a room higher up so that the noise from the bar wouldn't interfere with my sleep later on that night - we got a room on the third floor and didn't hear any noise from downstairs - the loud air conditioning unit may have helped with that...
The room was nice and modern looking - the bed could have been softer but it was still comfortable. The mounted flat screen was very nice but I wish there was a better seating arrangement than the bench right under the TV...and the desk chair which wouldn't be comfortable longer than 10 minutes...
Some of the things in the room you can tell were on the cheap side but then again you have a kohler sink and an LG lcd...so I would say the place is a mix....
The box for hooking your laptop, etc. up to the TV was great! We brought our laptop and a couple of dvds along and were hoping to watch a movie later on at night. We hooked everything up to test it out and it worked great for the first 30 minutes and then it went out on us. We had brand new cables and the laptop was working fine so we didn't know if it was the box itself. We called the front desk and they offered to move us to another room but we had already settled in and decided on complimentary drinks and breakfast instead. But great that they actually offered! The in room movies ranged from $11-15. There were no technicians on duty so no one could really come up and check to see what it was but the bartender (who was the most tech savvy on staff) did come up and try to help...
After returning from dinner, we entered the lobby and the xyz bar was in full swing. The reviewers say that this hotel is for the young crowd but it seemed the crowd at the bar was 30 and up (which is fine by me!!).
Overall it was a pleasant stay in a nice, clean room - it would've been great if our connection to the tv worked but we did have wifi.
Also front desk told us, they will be getting their own restaurant Michael's steak and seafood? Something like that and a free shuttle service in the next couple of months.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aloft Birmingham Soho Square is a hip new hotel! Enjoy the chic amenities of Soho Square. Walk to great shopping and local restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Starwood, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire and Cancelon so you can book your aloft Birmingham Soho Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aloft Birmingham Soho Square Hotel Homewood
- Aloft Hotel Homewood
- Birmingham Soho Square Aloft