All reviewspool tablewithin walking distancetrendy hotelshops and restaurantsgreat areafun placeparking garagelobby barsliding doorbusiness tripbed was comfortableflat screen tvindoor poolthe room was nicebirminghamweddingtoys
Reviewed April 24, 2016

I was here on business. Hotel was picked by host. It's basic accommodations. All the staff I encountered were very helpful and friendly. You can hoola-hoop or answer the trivia question correctly for a free drink at the bar! The rooms are sparsely furnished, think nice dorm rooms - everything secured to the walls. The only chair was a hard desk chair, although there is a wall mounted cushioned bench-like thing, over which the TV hangs. So there really isn't any place to get comfortable, to read, watch TV, have a chat with visitors. Just the bed and the desk chair, that's it. There were ample outlets, logically and helpfully located - which was great; I don't usually find this in many hotel rooms. I was a little concerned when I reached my room and found it to be right across from the elevator. That typically means a lot of noise from people as well as the elevator. Pleasantly, this was not the case. It was very quiet. The bed was comfy (king) and had lots of different pillow types. I would say that the soap products were odd- a electric blue color that was rather off putting and hard to wash off. The biggest problem I found was the water in the shower. The first morning it was absolutely ice cold, I showered as quickly as I could and it was just tepid when I finished. On our way to the training, I heard many other of the attendees saying the same thing about the water temperature. So the next morning, I got out of bed 20 minutes before my shower and let the water run. It was hot, not the greatest pressure, but hot. I was glad i brought my own shampoo with me, cause theirs was wall-dispensed electric blue again. Weird set up for closet (actually, i couldn't even really call it a closet, curtain over hooks) and no drawers, just shelves. There are several restaurant choices nearby and a piggly-wiggly and cvs around the corner. Good location if you are there w/o a car. There is no public transportation.

• Stayed: March 2016, traveled on business
AloftHomewood, General Manager at aloft Birmingham Soho Square, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your stay at the Aloft Birmingham. Aloft is a contemporary brand set apart from the competition by our unique, loft-inspired design and trendy styling. We understand our design will not appeal to everyone; but it appears that our staff was able to shine. We appreciate your business and hope to be of service in the future.

Reviewed April 13, 2016

They refer to it as a hotel. At a hotel I expect to walk in, check in, go to my room and get comfortable. I get to the room which has basically one wall running down the middle that separates the bathroom and bedroom. There is a flat screen tv on the wall. Upon turning it on , no picture but i have sound. I see a bunch of wires hanging down so i jiggle them and boom, picture. Not great but it works. I set down at the desk to work and go to turn the tv towards the desk so i can see it. You can't as the TV doesnt' move. Oh, I decide to site on the couch and watch tv. Wait, you can't because the couch is located UNDER the TV. I decide to unpack and iron my shirt. I have an ironing board, NO iron. I call to get an iron delivered to my room and in the meantime decide to go work out. When the iron is delivered I ask where the gym is and the gentleman tells me there is no gym. I look around the room to find something that tells me about the hotel so I can find where it is myself as the website says it has one. There is NO documentation in the room that explains anything about the hotel, SPG, nothing. So I go downstairs and find where the gym is located. When I go in I find one of the two tread mills working. After working out I go upstairs to take a shower. The shower drain and the bathroom drain are so slow that when taking a shower water almost runs over the side into the floor. I decide to go to bed. The bed(s) were queen with no box spring. It was just the mattress sitting on a metal frame. I think to myself the next morning has to be better. When I go downstairs the next morning I go to the self serve food area they refer to as re:fuel. I stand there waiting on someone to come to the window so that I can order some eggs. After waiting for about 5 minutes I walk up to the kiosk/desk which has a line of about 8 people. The girl looks at me and asks if I need something cooked. I stated yes and she said she was the cook and would be over after she finished taking care of the other people. So no breakfast.
I was really hoping this was going to be a nice hotel as it sits in a really good area. Lots of small restaurants around. Guess the next time I come to Birmingham I will have to find another place to stay as I would not recommend this place to my enemies.

• Stayed: April 2016, traveled on business
2  Thank Troy N
AloftHomewood, General Manager at aloft Birmingham Soho Square, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2016

Dear Troy N.

Aloft is a contemporary brand set apart from the competition by our unique, loft-inspired design and trendy styling. We understand our design will not appeal to everyone; however we do strive to provide each of our guests with superior customer service and a memorable stay. We are disheartened to hear that you did not like our hotel, and hope that the rest of your visit to Birmingham was a good one. Take care.

Reviewed March 29, 2016

We had never stayed at an Aloft but had enjoyed many of their other corporate properties. They are part of the W group and Starwood. As I write this, Marriott and a group from China are in bids for control of Starwood. They must have only visited the bar at this property.
The lobby bar is wonderful. Wide selection of spirits and wines and the two bartenders we met were very sharp offering excellent service and drinks! The kind of people you would want at your local pub.
We walked into our room and were taken by the efficient use of space and perfect layout with ample space for all our stuff and more. Good outlets for electronics and a overall calming design. The bed was well appointed and comfortable.
So, why such a poor three of five rating?
The second day our room had not been cleaned by 5:30 pm. We were out by 9 am and were out all day. Reporting this to the front desk a clerk delivered fresh towels and 'kinda' made the bed. No trash removal or... all the other stuff.
The next morning coffee wasn't needed as the cold water showers were stimulating enough. This is not an old old hotel! Tissue paper had to be requested from the desk, cost cutting is apparently in effect and one third roll per two guest is the offering.
Did I mention the bar was wonderful!?! It was! Did I mention our room had very little to no internet or phone reception? It didn't.
Looking around the property now with eyes not influenced by the wonderful design, the place could use a good cleaning. Our shower had dark and mysterious matter in corners and around door hinges. Elevators' control board and its walls and baseboards and windows in public spaces looked as if they had not been visited in months! Did I mention the parking was easy and wonderful? It was!
When checking out, I mentioned to the front desk our lack of wifi/phone reception, two mornings of cold showers, no toilet tissue, uncleaned room one day, and, and on the last morning, the toilet did not work.
The 'desk' apologized and immediately issued a $50 rebate. Thank you. It was a good gesture, but I would rather have had a hot shower!
* Our visit was in March, 2016. The location was wonderful for our needs and we will most likely try it again in a couple of months.

Room Tip: We asked for an upper room thinking of noise and most of the time it was good. Unattended kids in the hall were, not quite quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank justcausey
AloftHomewood, Guest Relations Manager at aloft Birmingham Soho Square, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences about your recent stay. I am pleased that the the bar staff, parking and efficiency and design of the room.

While we strive for a perfect stay with every guest, there are times we fall behind the mark. In this case we did not meet several of the basic needs of a hotel stay. Please accept my apology for those items.

We are currently in the process of updating several areas of the hotel and do look forward to your return so you can experience those changes as well.

Reviewed March 27, 2016

Flew in and out of Birmingham within 24 hours for a short meeting and the Aloft was a perfectly clean, convenient hotel. Used keyless entry to get in and out of the room without stopping at the desk. The neighborhood is nice with a lot of restaurant options within 5-10 minutes walk of the hotel. It's not in downtown so you'll need a car if your work takes you elsewhere, but it's a good neighborhood. My only quibble is with Aloft breakfasts in general (limited options - prefer to go elsewhere) - but that's not this hotel's fault. Would definitely recommend it for a good stay in Birmingham.

Stayed: March 2016, traveled on business
AloftHomewood, General Manager at aloft Birmingham Soho Square, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2016

Dear Dansac,

Thank you for the wonderful comments on your quick trip to Birmingham. Very much appreciated, we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 26, 2016 via mobile

1st visit to Aloft. I've been wanting to stay at an Aloft for quite some time. No doubt SPG has the advantage when it comes to that modern European look so I had high hopes. I wasn't disappointed when I entered the lobby. Very modern with an industrial flair. The bar is concrete with alternating green LEDs. Very cool. Everything about this hotel is modern looking. Even a walk down the hallway with the large, square, rainbow fabric wrapped lights is modern and cool.
The Rooms: at first glance, the rooms look modern and cool. There are lots of neat things about the rooms here. One is the backside of the shower is actually a frosted glass wall. You can't see through it but it's a cool touch. The bathroom has a raised bowl with industrial lighting. However, for me, the exposed pipes underneath subtract from the modern feel. There's a fridge jammed under the sink and looks more like a college dorm room than a hotel room. The storage area is quite small, opposite of the sink and covered with a drape.
But the quality and cleanliness of the room were the deal-breakers for me. I had scratches on the door, the wall, stains on the floor, rips on the furniture and wipe marks on the table. See my pictures.
Since this was my first aloft stay, I'd be willing to give the chain another shot but not at this location.

Stayed: February 2016, traveled on business

Brett,

Thank you for taking the time to post your overall experience with about the Aloft Birmingham Soho Square. We enjoy the same items that you shared, the bar is really cool and we are very pleased with the European feel.

We were one of the first Aloft hotels in the brand and as a brand Aloft has evolved, and we are as well. Currently there is new paint and wall coverings being put into the rooms, the artwork and the window coverings are changing as well.

Please the next time you are in Birmingham, give us another try. We will be the swanky you were hoping for.