“Trendy style with great customer service”

aloft Birmingham Soho Square
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Homewood
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have traveled twice to this location on business and both times their customer service was fantastic. The property is located in a suburban area of Birmingham called Homewood which has some great food within walking distance. The hotel staff were accommodating including when a quick rebooking of our reservation resulted in overbooking, they kindly put us in a nearby property. The staff member handled the situation very well informing us of the circumstance and giving us all the details we needed to find the other property.

The bartenders in the lobby bar are friendly and fun to chat up.

The room layout and amenities are unique from my hotel experience. The beds are comfortable, rooms are clean and modern with a high focus on detail and quality of materials used. The Aloft brand pulls off the "vibe" very well making the spot comfortable, memorable and enjoyable.

Room Tip: King bed rooms have entertainment hook up for HDMI input to the tv, so for iPad or laptop users with...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at a few aloft hotels before and was always very satisfied. This time was no different. Hip decor, and clean and confortable rooms. The beds are a nice as you will find in a hotel. There is a restaurant attached next to the hotel and a full service bar in the lobby. They also have a "snack bar" where you can order breakfast and sandwiches.

• Stayed: September 2013
Amy_Poe, Starwood Hotels at aloft Birmingham Soho Square, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear ross51681,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so thrilled to hear that we continued to meet your expectations of all your previous stays at other Aloft hotels. It is always nice to hear from a satisfied customer, and we hope that you will stay with us again on your next trip to Birmingham.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

This was our first stay at an Aloft property and we were quite pleased. It is definitely a sleeker design than most hotels, but it was fine for us for a weekend. The room was efficient and clean as was the lobby. Rather than a closed closet and chest of drawers, there is a hanging area with a curtain and shelves for your clothes. This worked just fine for us since we were only here for the weekend. The bathroom was very nice and the desk and FREE WiFi worked great. Garrick at the front desk was super friendly and very helpful. For breakfast, we can recommend Another Broken Egg - just a short drive down Hollywood through a beautiful old neighborhood. And after breakfast, you'll be conveniently near the zoo and the lovely FREE botanical gardens!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

We were very impressed by the style, view(fifth floor), cleanliness, and the attitudes of front desk employees( Garrett was very helpful!) the hotel was apparently hosting a wedding party and therefore very busy, however service did not suffer. Our room was very clean, the associates were extremely helpful when asked typical tourist questions and when we requested a taxi. This was our first stay at An Aloft but we will without a doubt look for them in cities we travel to in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Jason M
Amy_Poe, Starwood Hotels at aloft Birmingham Soho Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Jason M,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. It is always nice to hear when our guests are happy and satisfied with their experience, especially the service. We hope you will come back to Birmingham and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

My fiance and I chose to stay here after a concert we attended at the Oak Mountain Amphitheater in Pelham, AL. We got in very late- around 1am and were kindly greeted, given room keys and felt right at home. Our room was very clean, modern and the soaps provided smell awesome. I always love staying at aloft hotels and this one was just as delightful as the others I've been to.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Amy_Poe, Starwood Hotels at aloft Birmingham Soho Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear hillaryj9891,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so thrilled that you found it to be enjoyable, and that you have the same experience everytime you stay at an Aloft Hotel. We hope you will come back and stay with us again very soon.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

I lived in Birmingham for 12 years, and could have stayed with friends, but hated to subject any host to my irregular schedule....especially at 5:30AM. When I walked into the Aloft with no reservation, I expected to be told "sorry!"

Instead, the night clerk worked hard to find me a room -- they were totally booked but had 2 last minute cancellations -- and patiently waited for me to work my way through customer service so I could pay with my points. (That didn't work out and I ended up just asking him to charge me for the room.)

When I arrived at my room, however, it was less than clean and far below the standard of other Alofts I've stayed at. I shared my concerns the next morning and the morning manager couldn't have been more helpful and sweet about it.

Other friends stayed at the hotel on the same weekend, and had a similarly fantastic experience with the front desk.

Our only tip is that the hotel should stock a first aid kit...we needed a bandaid and ended up running out to the nearby grocery store. (Everything is close to this location! Some of the best sushi in Birmingham? Done. Across the street - Jinsei. Birmingham's best desserts? Done. Same block -- Pastry Art Connection's baby bites. Shopping? You're in downtown Homewood, go a block down to 21st Ave for a whole strip of boutiques. Work? Less than 10 minutes from downtown!)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Carolyn L.,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff to be helpful. Thank you for the tip about the first aid kit; I will be sure and pass that information along to the management team. We hope to see you back at our hotel for another stay soon.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Recently, we have called on the services of the management of Aloft for a very diverse group of guests for a social event. Let me tell you they hit the ground running. Energetic, full of ideas and helpful tips to insure that their guests receive the best that they can possibly do.

The hotel is situated in Homewood, a quiet and quaint suburb of Birmingham full of great places to eat, drink and shop. Walking across the street or no more than 5 blocks away, are a dazziling array of excellent choices for just about whatever you might need. And it is secure, well lit and fun.
The staff knows well the choices that can be walked easily and the everything else is no more than 15 minutes away by car.
This is an excellent choice, priced attractively and comfortable for all made even better by the staff who are full of professional Southern charm.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mercerbabydrumondco
TLozano, Starwood Hotels at aloft Birmingham Soho Square, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Mercerbabydrumondco,

Thank you for your review and we appreciate your kind words regarding our staff. We are thrilled that our staff was helpful and made your stay memorable. We hope you come back again the next time you are in the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Homewood
1 mi away
Birmingham Marriott
Birmingham Marriott
#26 of 80 in Birmingham
Hampton Inn Birmingham / Mountain Brook

Been to aloft Birmingham Soho Square? Share your experiences!